S&W shield

Sturg1647545502

I have the .40 with an Apex trigger and it was my carry. As a back up in a 9mm, maybe. Right now, im just not liking it all that much. I switched my carry and have put the Shield away.

What I do like:

Great size, but even the 9mm is a bit snappy

I love the design

I can tuck it and it's gone.

It's just damn neat for what it is

What I don't like:

It's very snappy, making it not fun to shoot.

Even slow firing and going step by step through the shooting fundimentals, it's just not what I want to deal with if I draw it.

All white dots in front and rear sites fell out in first 150 rounds fired.

My FiL has one and I've put at least 100 rds through it since getting into guns this year. It's OK but as with Joe I'm not a huge fan; personally I enjoy shooting the XD-S .45 ACP much better.

I don't know anything about carry comfort since I don't own one personally.

All white dots in front and rear sites fell out in first 150 rounds fired.

Same thing happened to my M&P9c after about the same amount of rounds. Good excuse to upgrade to night sights though.

I have the 9c and it wasnt THAT much bigger than the shield to justify it. If i was looking for a gun because i didnt have anything, sure, but not to replace like i thought i would...The 9c is only a fraction of an inch wider, IIRC, everything else was about the same. Ill take the 4 extra rounds for that little extra bulk.

My FiL has one and I've put at least 100 rds through it since getting into guns this year. It's OK but as with Joe I'm not a huge fan; personally I enjoy shooting the XD-S .45 ACP much better.

I don't know anything about carry comfort since I don't own one personally.

Clay, did you shoot the 40 or 9? Just curious as I almost bought a 9mm shield earlier this year but got the xds instead. I haven't shot a shield yet.

I ordered a Shield 9mm through Buckeye Outdoors the morning of Wednesday 5/8. Got a call at noon today, Friday 5/10 saying it was in and ready to pick up. So if anyone wants one it would seem that is the way to go. I was expecting it to take weeks, if not months, not two days.

I've already got two holsters on order for it, a Desantis Superfly and an N82 Tactical Original. Is there anything else I should get? I plan on putting a couple hundred rounds through it before deciding if I want Apex trigger parts. What about sites? It sounds like the dots fall out of all of them so in the short term I can use white-out on them but I wouldn't mind some sort of night sites since this will be my new carry gun. Any suggestions, without breaking the bank?

I searched hi and low for mine so you are lucky to get yours that quick.

To OP. I think it's a great, very reliable gun. It is very snappy with the flush fit mag. I can control it just fine with the extended. Mine is in 9mm. I do not care for the .40.

I am not a big fan of the trigger however. I shoot off reset, and it has a "false" reset before it actually resets. I may do an apex trigger in it.

I've already got two holsters on order for it, a Desantis Superfly and an N82 Tactical Original. Is there anything else I should get? I plan on putting a couple hundred rounds through it before deciding if I want Apex trigger parts. What about sites?

I have the N82 tactical for my shield and I really like it. I've been happy with my Desantis holsters in the past, but they were more "duty" style than concealment. I haven't had the trouble with the sights on mine yet, it's also a .40. Although, I still want to replace them. I've been looking at the XS Big Dot sights. It's never going to be a target gun so I figured these will be good for quick acquisition. I've also thought about just going with standard 3 dot trijicon's, or trijicon HD's.

As far as trigger, I'm okay with it for now. I'm hesitant to do much work too it due to the nature of the weapons use. I feel it's a lot easier to answer questions about a 100% stock firearm, than one that's been modified. But, the APEX seems like a option if you totally hate the trigger.

Got my Shield. Overall I like it so far. Still waiting on my holsters to show up in the mail.

The trigger is gritty through the take up. Not sure if that will work out on its own. It's not very noticeable when actually firing, mostly during dry fire.

Loading the mags sucks. The springs are very tight, on the 7 round mag the last round is very difficult to shove in.

I put 100 rounds of WWB through it. Ran perfectly. It started to rain part way through so I wasn't worried too much about being accurate, just testing it. I limp wristed as much as I possibly could through one mag to try and force it to jam and it didn't. I also ran 19 rounds on some old HP ammo through it, ran it fine. Huge muzzle flash with that after dark. It handles well, comfortable to shoot, didn't notice any muzzle flip. WAY better to shoot than the .380 mouse guns I've shot.