Mother inlaw got a new roof...

Buck531

So this turned into an "Able is A-OK" thread?

Nope. I don't know the details. I'm unsure if it'll go through her insurance or not.

I have another beef with Able when he came out to give me a quote on my garage roof last week. That's another story.

I'm not an expert, but i believe if there are already 2 layers of shingles on the roof they both have to be removed before you can lay a new roof. So why did they have the shingles on the roof already?

huh? Look at the pics. They had stripped the roof already, layed the paper down and then started to put the shingles on top.

If you need help getting to a higher up let me know. My company used to be sister companies with Able. They should take care of you but if you feel otherwise let me know and I pass it along to the people I know.

It will be interesting to see what the city of westerville engineer has to say, but to my knowledge its everyday practice stacking shingles like that so it should have held unless they seriously mishandled the stack loading it on the roof. Do you know if the stack held for some time then collapsed or did the collapse happen as soon as they dropped the load on the roof?

Edited by Supplicium

Was the garage built by a Korean man? :gabe:

Seriously though, hopefully your MIL has homeowners insurance to fall back on in case Able is not at fault. Although I do kind of find it odd that they were in a hurry to remove the sign from the yard and move the trucks.

REALLY????

We've been on job site when accidents occur, and have pulled our equipment/trucks for the simple fact that it's not whose fault it is, its whose fault everyone driving by THINKS it is! If the news decided to pull up whats the first thing everyone sitting at home is going to see whether the anchorman points a finger or not? I don't think its odd at all if you put yourself in Able shoes...

Semi-related question. GF has a metal roof, and has been getting quotes for getting it painted. It's a somewhat steep roof, and she was asking me if she is liable for a painter falling off the roof or otherwise getting injured, or if there was a way to exempt her from such liability in a contract. I have no idea, honestly.

Anybody clear that up?

REALLY????

We've been on job site when accidents occur, and have pulled our equipment/trucks for the simple fact that it's not whose fault it is, its whose fault everyone driving by THINKS it is! If the news decided to pull up whats the first thing everyone sitting at home is going to see whether the anchorman points a finger or not? I don't think its odd at all if you put yourself in Able shoes...

I could see that. My thought process was that if they were not at fault then they would have nothing to worry about.

I could see that. My thought process was that if they were not at fault then they would have nothing to worry about.

Legally I don't think they have anything to worry about. They would win in court, but in the court of public opinion they would probably loose. I'm really curious what the engineer is going to say. It doesn't look like trusses to me, it looks like rafters, but I don't see any horizontal bracing either at the base of the rafter or across the middle. If that is the case then the only thing holding the rafter up is the spacing from wall to wall, and the weight would push directly out on the walls.

Semi-related question. GF has a metal roof, and has been getting quotes for getting it painted. It's a somewhat steep roof, and she was asking me if she is liable for a painter falling off the roof or otherwise getting injured, or if there was a way to exempt her from such liability in a contract. I have no idea, honestly.

Anybody clear that up?

They should provide proof of insurance And she should call to verify the insurance prior to any work starting.

We won't let anyone do major work at our house without us calling ourselves to verify insurance. It's not worh the risk to just make a 5 minute phone call.

Definitely appears to be rafter construction. From the damage I'm guessing they were lacking the appropriate collar ties, that would explain why the individual roof slopes for the most part held together, but split right along the ridge board. That was a liability waiting to happen and would most likely still be covered under the collapse portion.

Able is not without blame though, they should be staggering the shingles when taking them off the boom. I have seen numerous sags in brand new roofs because a single rafter cracked when the contractor placed all the bundles of shingles in one place.

Able is not without blame though, they should be staggering the shingles when taking them off the boom. I have seen numerous sags in brand new roofs because a single rafter cracked when the contractor placed all the bundles of shingles in one place.

ding ding ding

Definitely appears to be rafter construction. From the damage I'm guessing they were lacking the appropriate collar ties, that would explain why the individual roof slopes for the most part held together, but split right along the ridge board. That was a liability waiting to happen and would most likely still be covered under the collapse portion.

The "engineer" came out from the insurance company today along the guy from Able.

Right now from the looks of it there might have only been 2-3 collar ties on the entire framing portion (fail).

They won't know until they get the "ok" from the adjuster for able to start tearing it apart and then the engineer dude wants to see that happen and then look at the under side of the joists.