DURAMAX Cognito 7" Lift Kit install

Benner

Owner gave me permission to post this. I did the install about a week ago at Tire Discounters in Marysville

About a month ago, I had a guy bring in his 2006 Duramax with a 2 inch Torsion Key and 1 Inch blocks for an Alignment. Did the best I could with the factory Eccentric Bolts for Camber but still had a bad Negative Camber even maxxed out (2 inch torsion key but the bolts were close to maxxed). On top of that the Steering components were starting to suffer from the lift.

So talked to him and told him what parts to order and what needed reinforced. He went above and beyond and ordered a full Cognito 7-9 inch Lift Kit with several up graded goodies like Cognito Upper Control arms.

The kit basically dropped the Front/Rear/ and Torsion bar crossmembers, replaced the spindles with taller spindles that repositioned the tie rods to a straighter line with the idler/pitman, replaced the idler with a beefier support bracket, and dropped the front diff down to allow better axle angles and added a stronger front shaft with a double u-joint setup.

Before is sitting on 33's on 18 inch wheels that rubbed badly.

After is on 35's on 20 inch wheels that have almost 2 inches all around from lock to lock.

Oh and ride quality is close to factory since everything is repositioned and nothing is really stressed.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/Formula98/Duramax_zpsfeabb2a5.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/Formula98/Crossmember1_zpsd9d5b010.jpg

Yeah kind of my thoughts also. Unfortunately he didn't have the stock torsion key's for me to reinstall (this kit doesn't use the torsion for any lift hence the ride quality). So it's closer to 8 in the front. The bolts are only turned enough to keep them in place.

Cognito is a pretty nasty kit. I'm a fan of their work with bilstein shocks. I can't remember if they're utilizing a factory ball joint with their control arms, or if its like Fabtech's uniball stuff. I hope they moved over to poly bushing with their kits too. Had more than a few come in for premature bushing failure.

Looks like it could use a 5" rear block :) Typical Chevy ass low/Cali pre-runner look.

Yeah its far from a "mall crawler" lifts. Has all the supports to do some serious work. Just needs to be welded to finish off reinforcements.

Agree on the wheels. See them far too often. Would like to see some 37's on 18's.

As stated before the front is higher because he didn't have the original torsion keys. I have the bolts out as far as they'll go while not being able to back out. Needs the stock keys and then adjusted accordingly. Lift is closer to 8-9 inches up front with 5 inch blocks in the rear

The truck should be Benner...

and I bet the owner is just lifting it up to drive around town correct? I doubt that he'll have any chance of going "off road" in it.. and I don't mean driving on gravel or his lawn.

Same reason this exists:

http://i.imgur.com/WOSa7vl.jpg

yea, i've never been able to wrap my head around that shit either, LOL

Cognito is far from a "mall crawler" lift. Guess he could parking lot pimp, if he lowered it in that case.

Yeah its far from a "mall crawler" lifts. Has all the supports to do some serious work. Just needs to be welded to finish off reinforcements.

so what kind of off-roading can you do with this?

the center of gravity is too high for doing anything other than going through a mud pit.

it maintains the factory geometry, so you aren't going to be jumping this thing when it has all of 10" of front suspension travel - maybe.

obviously you won't be rock crawling a truck that ridiculously big - especially when you pretty much still have stock ground clearance at the front diff and those ridiculous torsion bar drop brackets. i'd be shocked if you gained more than 2"-3" of ground clearance over factory if you measure from the front diff or the torsion bars.

sorry, i just can't figure out what this track can do after this lift that it couldn't do before it. water crossings and mudpits? i doubt it with those expensive ass 20" wheels...

i'm not questioning the work, and if the owner is happy then great! but that is mall crawler by the definition.

first off there's really no reason to change out the stock keys on an 06 to fit 33's under it. I have 33's on mine with the stock bolts not even adjusted all the way and clear 33's fine with a little shaving done to the front lower bumper which it looks like he did also.

my truck on 33's with the bars cranked just enough to clear 33's:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj37/0rion_album/009resized.jpg

Secondly.....that cognito lift is expensive as hell. It's a nice lift.....he should've maybe went with a 37" tire minimum. Still a nice looking lift and truck. As long as he's happy with it that's all that really matters. I agree with others that those rims are played out but like I say.....as long as he's happy. How many hours did you have in the install? I'm guessing that was quite a bit of work that went into that.

In total probably around d 16 to 18. Never installed a lift even remotely this extensive. Some of the add-ons he bought took a while (not hard just tedious). And I stuck exactly to the directions.

If I were to do it again, I could probably knock off 6 or so hours.

I don't understand the lifted duramax's, doesn't those lift kits kill the ability to pull any trailers(car hauler, skid steers loaders/etc). I use my duramax to pull my trailers and to plow.

I don't understand the lifted duramax's, doesn't those lift kits kill the ability to pull any trailers(car hauler, skid steers loaders/etc). I use my duramax to pull my trailers and to plow.

I doubt that truck will ever see any work. I know I could not use it with that lift. If my truck was any higher it would be just for show.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/1fstws6/IMG_20130609_083326_937_zps444d08b7.jpg

I doubt that truck will ever see any work. I know I could not use it with that lift. If my truck was any higher it would be just for show.

]

drop hitch son... Now can he pull a 5th wheel meh might be a little odd but I sure he could do it, but a bumper pull for sure. my sisters got a 6 inch lift on 35s on a Tahoe and it pull her boat as if the truck was stuck with a drop hitch.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/bradenW/DSC02369.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/bradenW/DSC02358.jpg