Which helmet?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which helmet?

• hjc
    • arai
    • shoei
    • hookers/other

Okay...

Just sold both of dad's old helmets (Bell Magnum LTD) on ebay.

I have no idea why they sold for as much as they did since they were pretty beat up, but regardless, he needs replacements.

looking at 3 options, which would be a better buy and why?

1.) HJC CL-31

cl31_black_lg.jpg

2. Arai Classic c/m

81-1710AraiClsscMPrBk.jpg

3.) Shoei RJ Platinum R

RJ%20Platinum-R%20Black.jpg

open face is a must, as he likes to smoke, and drink pepsi when he rides, and snell approval is a requirement in his world..

I'm leaning more towards the HJC, based on it's very low price point, but there might be more to it than i'm seeing.

I'd have voted for hookers also if I could, but I voted HJC. A lot of what the expensive helmets offer is really good style, but you're just lookin at black helmets so whats the brand matter? I'd say go for low cost

In SCCA Formula car racing we have to have a Snell rating of 2005. ( look under the padding inside ) I think the snell rating upgrades every 5 years so 2010 would be the next rating coming out. ( I am not sure of this ) I rely on my crew chief too much.. One if the reasons for the snell rating is not just technology but some of the older helmets have a resin shelf life an they loose some of there properties after a while. Plus they can MOLD sitting on the shelf all winter from your fat sweatty head soaking it last summer LOL So then it becomes a SMELL RATING and your Babe will refuse to put it on because it smells like last years B. So, If you dont want to go solo all the time and she doesnt have her own ride, get her a new helmet to improve the SMELL RATING Haaaa~~~~ Ed Venture

One if the reasons for the snell rating is not just technology but some of the older helmets have a resin shelf life an they loose some of there properties after a while.

Its not the "resin" that has a shelf life, its the insides.

The styrofoam degrades over time due to the oils etc, in your sweat. Has nothing to do with new/old technology.

I've never seen a snell approved modular..

The modular helmets are subjected to the same testing as a full face, and because of the moving chin bar they can't pass it. If they were subjected to the open face test protocol they'd probably pass.

The modular helmets are subjected to the same testing as a full face, and because of the moving chin bar they can't pass it. If they were subjected to the open face test protocol they'd probably pass.

not the case.... from snell's website

Why won't Snell certify some types of helmets like flip up front designs?

Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional. Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in our standards. We are however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect the helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases the helmets potential to cause injury. At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet.

not the case.... from snell's website

At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification.

They haven't tested them because the manufacturers won't submit them.

My guess is that the chin bar won't pass this:

E5. Chin Bar Test

The chin bar test applies to full face helmets only. At least one helmet

in each certifi cation series shall be tested. The helmet shall be firmly

mounted on a rigid base so that the chin bar faces up and the reference

plane is at 65 ±5° from horizontal. A mass of 5 ±.2 kg with a fl at striking

face of 0.01 m² minimum area shall be dropped in a guided fall so as to

strike the central portion of the chin bar with an impact velocity of 3.5

±0.2 m/sec. The maximum downward defl ection of the chin bar must

not exceed 60 mm nor any component fail so as to cause a potential

injury to the wearer.

Are you inferring that an open face helmet is safer than a modular helmet because it isn't Snell Certified?

safer? maybe, maybe not...you don't know

but why wouldn't a company submit their helmet for testing if they felt it was able to pass the test?

If the company isn't confident enough to submit their helmet for testing, I'm not confident enough to buy it.

Here is my Helmet, it's a HJC AC12 Kawasaki edition, I like it, comes with an antifog lens, and chin air deflector. It's Snelled as well....the wind noise is more than Shoei, I never got a chance to put on an more expensive Arai to compare. Now I crashed last September with that helmet...guess what ? I broke my collar bone but not a scratch on the helmet (I crashed on the run of grass)....srsly I mean not a scratch.......

Now my question should I use it or not....according to the manual, if you crash..... you change your helmet...mine is not even scratched. Suggestions.......:confused:

Here are some pictures:

HJC_AC-12_Kawasaki_Ninja_ZX_Helmet_.jpg

Kosmo1.jpg

They haven't tested them because the manufacturers won't submit them.

My guess is that the chin bar won't pass this:

E5. Chin Bar Test

The chin bar test applies to full face helmets only. At least one helmet

in each certifi cation series shall be tested. The helmet shall be firmly

mounted on a rigid base so that the chin bar faces up and the reference

plane is at 65 ±5° from horizontal. A mass of 5 ±.2 kg with a fl at striking

face of 0.01 m² minimum area shall be dropped in a guided fall so as to

strike the central portion of the chin bar with an impact velocity of 3.5

±0.2 m/sec. The maximum downward defl ection of the chin bar must

not exceed 60 mm nor any component fail so as to cause a potential

injury to the wearer.

then re-engineer the chin bar...doesn't seem that difficult...

Here is my Helmet, it's a HJC AC12 Kawasaki edition, I like it, comes with an antifog lens, and chin air deflector. It's Snelled as well....the wind noise is more than Shoei, I never got a chance to put on an more expensive Arai to compare. Now I crashed last September with that helmet...guess what ? I broke my collar bone but not a scratch on the helmet (I crashed on the run of grass)....srsly I mean not a scratch.......

Now my question should I use it or not....according to the manual, if you crash..... you change your helmet...mine is not even scratched. Suggestions.......:confused:

if it took no impact, there is no reason to change it...

if it took an impact, then you'll probably want a new one...

I love the fit on the shoei and arai helmets and they seem light as hell comparitively. The noise level is lower in the shoei but the arai's are comfy as hell.

I have to say a light and comfy helmet is a must for me !

I say (not from so much experience, more from others' experiences) go try them on, find what fits the best, and looks how he wants. If safety is your thing (it is with me) make sure that it's snell 2005 rated. I just got a new full-faced helmet that's snell rated, fits nice, and was only $70, closeout at Iron Pony.