Am I crazy? Classic truck for my 16 year old?

caseyctsv

Ok my 15 year old daughter decided about a year ago that she wanted a 60's era Chevy pickup as a first car. More specifically she wants a "farm" truck, dents rust and all. Among the reasons she wants the truck is she wants to learn how to work on it and take of it which I thought was kind of cool and it may have blinded my judgement. I found one that she fell in love with...a 1964 C10. It has a later model 350 V8 in it, new brakes, tires, and a couple of new body panels. Seems pretty solid.

So, no abs, airbags, power steering or brakes and it is a 3 on the tree... Would you let your daughter learn to drive in such a beast?

I will be outfitting it with 3 point belts and will likely upgrade to disc brakes in the front and power steering. An auto is probably on the list too. So what would CR do?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add she is a straight A student...smart kid. Very responsible...also VERY convincing :). I talked to a few people at work and they thought I was crazy. Unfortunately I work with a bunch of people who have no interest in cars and could not change a tire on their own if their life depended on it. They kept saying civic, corolla, etc. which I cannot argue with...rationally at least.

I would do it in a heartbeat. I would love the opportunity to do something like this with my son when he gets older. Plus the harder it is to drive, the easier it is for her to drive anything should an emergency arise, but I do agree with the disc brakes and power steering.

Remember.....this is just my opnion so take it as such.

Although it's cool as hell to have your daughter be interested in old stuff and wanting to learn to work on it I would never buy that as a first vehicle for my daughter. Maybe as a hobby vehicle for her in a year or two but not as a DD for a first vehicle. Chances are pretty good for new drivers that they will get in a fender bender at some point and newer cars are just way way more safe and it's easier to replace a 99 civic than it is a 64 c10. 3 on the tree is a pain in the ass to drive in traffic too....my dad had one when I was 16 or 17. Hated driving that thing. Again....just my opinion. At the end of the day this is a decision only you can make and you know best what's for your kid.

I too think its pretty cool that she's interested in it, but working in the industry and seeing wrecks all day everyday there isn't a chance in hell I'd put my daughter in that when she turns 16. I'd buy it as a second car for you/her to work on/enjoy/drive occasionally but I want as much innovation/technology/safety surrounding my daughter when she hits the road. I've seen old trucks/cars in accidents first hand, it's usually not pretty.

My .02

• Upvote 1

If not, at least it is safer than today's plastic cars.

Not sure if serious...

Like others have mentioned and posted videos of, safety has come a LONG way, and most old cars and trucks crumple like empty beer cans. I don't know about you, but my daughter's safety wouldn't be worth risking on an old car/truck.

Buy the truck.. use it to take to car shows on the weekend.

Decent/newer economy car for the daily to school and texting while driving type car.

That's sorta what I was getting at. Safety is at the top of my list then dependability. When I was 16 I had saved all of my money from the 2 summers before and had almost enough to buy a 70 Mach 1 a guy had for sale. I really wanted that car. Dad wouldn't give me the rest of the money to buy it. Guy sold it before I could get the rest of the money. At the time I was pissed to the Nth level of pistivity. I didn't understand it but now that I'm older and have kids I 100% agree with dad not giving me that money. I would've wrapped that thing around a telephone pole somewhere. That's not to say everyone would do that......but I would've and dad knew I would've.

That's sorta what I was getting at. Safety is at the top of my list then dependability. When I was 16 I had saved all of my money from the 2 summers before and had almost enough to buy a 70 Mach 1 a guy had for sale. I really wanted that car. Dad wouldn't give me the rest of the money to buy it. Guy sold it before I could get the rest of the money. At the time I was pissed to the Nth level of pistivity. I didn't understand it but now that I'm older and have kids I 100% agree with dad not giving me that money. I would've wrapped that thing around a telephone pole somewhere. That's not to say everyone would do that......but I would've and dad knew I would've.

At the time I got my first car my neighbors up the street were selling two cars. One was an 84 Cavalier with a valve cover leak and a water pump that leaked like a siv.

The other one was a '80 Cutlass with a 350 but the head gaskets were shot.

Both cars $500. Got the 84 Cavalier. Spent $400 or so fixing it. Drove it, wrecked, had it fixed. sold it and moved on.

I would have been very stupid if i got that Cutlass.

My friend on the same street around the corner aquired a 77' cutlass from his dad for his first car. Mint.. I mean MINT condition. Had it a few months. Floored it on a corner during lunch.. drove THROUGH A HOUSE.

Good info here guys. I had not seen that video and, frankly, it terrifies me. The only thing I will add is where she will be driving. I live less than 3 miles from where she goes to school . 95% of her driving will be back and forth to school much like her older sister. This would not be a "road trip" kind of car. That was really the only reason I was considering this. I would love to pick it up as a toy for her and I to work on and get another car for her to drive I simply don't have anywhere to put it. This car would be # 5 for my family which is tough when you live in a subdivision :)

I guess I have some more thinking to do.

Good info here guys. I had not seen that video and, frankly, it terrifies me. The only thing I will add is where she will be driving. I live less than 3 miles from where she goes to school . 95% of her driving will be back and forth to school much like her older sister. This would not be a "road trip" kind of car. That was really the only reason I was considering this. I would love to pick it up as a toy for her and I to work on and get another car for her to drive I simply don't have anywhere to put it. This car would be # 5 for my family which is tough when you live in a subdivision :)

I read statistics similar to this many years ago and although this survey is pretty old I'm sure the statistics haven't changed much because too me at least they make sense.

http://www.drivingtoday.com/features/archive/crashes/index.html#axzz2Za0uNG9F

Cliffs if you don't want to click the link:

The answer is Progressive Insurance, in a survey more than 11,000 people who reported a crash in 2001. As part of an ongoing claims satisfaction survey process, Progressive asked all 11,000 crash victims how far from home they were when their accident occurred, and the results confirmed the old adage that most accidents occur at home. Interestingly enough, this data is not typically gathered by law enforcement or insurance companies.

The survey found that 52 percent of reported crashes occurred five miles or less from home and a whopping 77 percent occurred 15 miles or less from home.

This was going to be my suggestion as a father daughter project with something else to be more of a driver but that can be hard to do for many reasons. I however would try to find a way to make those memories with my daughter, obviously that is why you have been seriously considering it in the first place. Besides getting rid of the Trans Am because you spent time on it you could've been spending with your family this would be a great compromise. I hope you can find a good solution.

At the time I got my first car my neighbors up the street were selling two cars. One was an 84 Cavalier with a valve cover leak and a water pump that leaked like a siv.

The other one was a '80 Cutlass with a 350 but the head gaskets were shot.

Both cars $500. Got the 84 Cavalier. Spent $400 or so fixing it. Drove it, wrecked, had it fixed. sold it and moved on.

I would have been very stupid if i got that Cutlass.

My friend on the same street around the corner aquired a 77' cutlass from his dad for his first car. Mint.. I mean MINT condition. Had it a few months. Floored it on a corner during lunch.. drove THROUGH A HOUSE.

you didn't miss much.....instead of a sweet ass 70 Mach 1 like I wanted Dad found me a 75 cutlass. Thing was so slow it had dead bugs on the BACK windshield. :D I cut my automotive teeth on that thing though. I fixed or replaced just about everything on that car at one time or another. When I got rid of it there was 180k miles on it and it would start up first try with out pumping the gas pedal. For the kids here that may not know....that was a carb thing back in the day. :D

My dad was smarter than I ever thought.....I didn't realize just how much he knew until after he was gone.

You guys nailed it..I want this to be an opportunity to do something together. You cannot make additional time. They grow up way too fast. Thanks again for all the good thoughts. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point.

I support it... My first car was my 1972 Javelin that I started restoring with my dad at 14. During highschool I always had two cars but I drove the Javelin pretty much every day it wasn't raining. Working on it with my Dad was and still is a great experience.

Erik

The first car that I could call my own was a 1959 Chevy Apache when I was 18. A couple reasons not to be as alarmed of the safety thing:

- She will not be driving fast. it's impossible. My Apache topped out at 75 running wide open with a bored out 327 and 4 on the floor. Cruised around 50-55 all the time.

- She will be visible. When I drove my truck, there wasn't a soul on the road who wasn't watching all 22 feet of turquoise and white beauty.

- She will learn car control. The first time she thinks too much about the gas pedal in the rain, the wheels will spin and she will learn a lot of respect for cars.

- It will get her used to good driving habits; easy in, easy out, easy on the brakes and throttle, no jerky movements ever. She will never consider NOT checking her blind spots especially if, like my truck, it has no side mirrors.

PM me if you have additional questions about my experience, I'm glad to share.

EDIT: expensive, but this is close enough to what I had http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3871664697.html

I am probably headed south to drive this truck (we saw it at Good Guys). I may just buy it and figure out whether it is an "extra" car, an investment to flip, or her primary.

Thanks again for the replies, I have lost some sleep on this one.

I am probably headed south to drive this truck (we saw it at Good Guys). I may just buy it and figure out whether it is an "extra" car, an investment to flip, or her primary.

Thanks again for the replies, I have lost some sleep on this one.

Post some pics when you do. Like others, my initial though is that the 3 on the tree is going to get old fast. However, she sounds like a neat girl who might just appreciate the fact that it requires thought and focus. She won't be talking on the phone when in it, that's for sure. Safety is a HUGE Concern in my mind. Yours too I'm sure.

Besides, you have enough other vehicles around that if she needs to go out with friends to a movie and doesn't want to take the truck, she might not have to.