Considering selling my car

Versluis

WWCRD?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. WWCRD?

• Keep the R32 - enjoy AWD awesomeness
    • Buy a Mazdaspeed 3 - boosted smiley-faced FWD hatch

Hey guys,

So I'm torn right now because I'm torn between selling my 08' VW R32 for a 13' Mazda Speed3.

I'm considering getting rid of the R32 because it will be out of the CPO next year and concerned about the costs of being out of warranty on a car that has known issues with the DSG. I have the car where I want it to be, coilovers, exhaust, intake, clear bra and some other apperance things. The R is a blast to drive and nothing sounds like it. I may also have to start putting more miles on it for work and currently it has 47k on it.

I test drove the MS3 today and it fun. I'm currently eyeing a pearl white one with gunmetal wheels and black mirror caps with the tek package at Byers. When driving, it was fun with the turbo, rode real nice, had the bose radio with tomtom navi, bluetooh, pandora, etc. Spoke with the sales manager and he would let it go for 24k and the sticker is $27,xxx.

I have always liked the MS3 but my concerns are resale value and would I miss my R way to much. My R has lower miles than most you see on AutoTrader/Ebay, it is a more rare car and I finally have it where I want it to be.

Sorry for rambling but would value your opinion on it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have it where you want it to be, keep it and drive it. As long you keep up on maintaining it, it should run great. I had my old Saab from 44k to 120k and every single mile was beat on and it never failed me because I kept up on it.

Damn shame it was totaled in a rearender or I would still be driving it

Hey guys,

So I'm torn right now because I'm torn between selling my 08' VW R32 for a 13' Mazda Speed3. I may also have to start putting more miles on it for work and currently it has 47k on it.

I don't know much about the tranny on VW's but I can't imagine it's going to go out anytime soon. 47k on it isn't much at all. Correct me where I'm wrong. I'd drive the VW for a few more years.

I have always liked the MS3 but my concerns are resale value and would I miss my R way to much.
You will miss the AWD feel and handling but the MS3 is a lot of fun. Add a down pipe and a tune and you'll have lots of fun ;).

I bought my Grand Touring Version OTD for under $24k with everything but Nav. I can't speak for resale on the newer styles but I know my 08 commands a nice dollar still. There weren't nearly as many of the Gen 1's made though. Do a search and see what is out there.

I found an 20O8 Sport (lower trim than mine) with 15k on the odo for nearly $22k retail (stupid high IMO) Another 08 sport trim with 45k on the odo for just under $16k

Hey guys,

So I'm torn right now because I'm torn between selling my 08' VW R32 for a 13' Mazda Speed3.

I'm considering getting rid of the R32 because it will be out of the CPO next year and concerned about the costs of being out of warranty on a car that has known issues with the DSG. I have the car where I want it to be, coilovers, exhaust, intake, clear bra and some other apperance things. The R is a blast to drive and nothing sounds like it. I may also have to start putting more miles on it for work and currently it has 47k on it.

I test drove the MS3 today and it fun. I'm currently eyeing a pearl white one with gunmetal wheels and black mirror caps with the tek package at Byers. When driving, it was fun with the turbo, rode real nice, had the bose radio with tomtom navi, bluetooh, pandora, etc. Spoke with the sales manager and he would let it go for 24k and the sticker is $27,xxx.

I have always liked the MS3 but my concerns are resale value and would I miss my R way to much. My R has lower miles than most you see on AutoTrader/Ebay, it is a more rare car and I finally have it where I want it to be.

Sorry for rambling but would value your opinion on it.

LOL, so that was you looking at that today? They brought it to me because they thought they heard a noise. At least you'd know someone to take care of you at the dealership. The higher mileage turbo 2.3s we see have VVT issues, and we've done our share of turbos. A lot of it is lack of maintence, and they've updated the VVT parts so hopefully that won't be a concern as the newer ones get some mileage.

The higher mileage turbo 2.3s we see have VVT issues, and we've done our share of turbos. A lot of it is lack of maintence,.

Let me guess, 7500 mile dino oil intervals and no cool down periods after flogging them? I'm pretty religious at oil changes, especially given I don't drive mine much. I also tend to idle/cool down before shutting down.

Let me guess, 7500 mile dino oil intervals and no cool down periods after flogging them? I'm pretty religious at oil changes, especially given I don't drive mine much. I also tend to idle/cool down before shutting down.

Yeah something like that.

I still say keep the car. If you are worried about the car get an extended warranty to make you feel better about keeping it. I haven't got to really look into what you owe on the car and what you can get out of the car yet, but we might be able to work something out depending on if you have some money coming out of it.

Hard to say, from AWD to FWD, but going to a new car means less likely problem especially with DSG-related problems in the Golf.

Ask your Dad to help you get into a Corvette.

Haha yeah I wish.

I don't know much about the tranny on VW's but I can't imagine it's going to go out anytime soon. 47k on it isn't much at all. Correct me where I'm wrong. I'd drive the VW for a few more years.

You will miss the AWD feel and handling but the MS3 is a lot of fun. Add a down pipe and a tune and you'll have lots of fun ;).

I bought my Grand Touring Version OTD for under $24k with everything but Nav. I can't speak for resale on the newer styles but I know my 08 commands a nice dollar still. There weren't nearly as many of the Gen 1's made though. Do a search and see what is out there.

I found an 20O8 Sport (lower trim than mine) with 15k on the odo for nearly $22k retail (stupid high IMO) Another 08 sport trim with 45k on the odo for just under $16k

I would love a 1st Gen but if I were to get a another car instead of the R it would need to be new.

You're crazy.

I knew that answer was coming. I would think about the Golf R but out of my price range.

LOL, so that was you looking at that today? They brought it to me because they thought they heard a noise. At least you'd know someone to take care of you at the dealership. The higher mileage turbo 2.3s we see have VVT issues, and we've done our share of turbos. A lot of it is lack of maintence, and they've updated the VVT parts so hopefully that won't be a concern as the newer ones get some mileage.

My dad went up and talked numbers to see what we could get it for. He said they checked out the brakes since I heard something and I for sure did not say anything about the brakes haha. Might of been the sales guy when I was in the car b/c when it started it made a noise.

I don't know if I'll be pulling the trigger on it. People have said they are good cars and they would be fun but I would regret going from an R32 to a MS3.

I've always enjoyed the hell out of FWD. I feel like in order to push the limits of a modern RWD or AWD car on regular roads it takes a lot of dangerous driving. It's relatively easy to push the limits of a FWD car more of the time because, well, the limits are much lower.

What you drive isn't as important as how you drive it. If you think the R32 allows you to drive it the way you want and you're satisfied with that, don't change it. If you drive the MS3 and think it adds enjoyment to your driving, as my FWD hatch does for me, then go for it and enjoy your life.

http://cdn.crackberry.com/sites/crackberry.com/files/kevin/hatersgonnahate.jpg

I have a Speed3 and even I'm voting to keep the VW. Not to say the Speed3 isn't a great car for the money, but you've got a lot more car right now and would be downgrading to go to the Mazda.

If your VW is paid off already, then save whatever you would be paying per month on the Mazda for a maintenance fund. People tend to get scared as soon as the warranty expires on a car, but honestly the chances of catastrophic failure to the point where you can't afford to fix something are pretty minor as long as you properly maintain the vehicle.