winterizing outboard motor

armin922

Although i do have a fishing boat and i plan on storing the boat for winter a little later than some of the recreational boaters, would any of you be willing to help me winterize my motor? Ive never done it before and have been told its pretty easy. Ill pay you. Its an outboard 2 stroke motor.

• 2 months later...

Any luck on getting this done?

I'm in the same situation.. I've never done it before and would love to have someone look over my shoulder of if dealerships do it, what dealership is preferred? I'm storing mine under my lean too so I'd really like to get it winterized before shit starts to break.

There really isn't much to do on these.

-Run it on a hose to flush with clean water. Keep it trimmed down after and all the water will run out.

-Drain and fill the lower unit. Pull the top screw then the bottom screw and let it drain. Then fill from the BOTTOM screw hole pushing the new oil in and up. Once you see oil coming out of the top plug both holes. This way pushes any air up and out of the gear unit. I found a nice gear oil pump at Gander Mountain that has a threaded tip that just screws into the lower unit gear case, made it very easy.

-Pop each spark plug and fog the cylinder. My motor is EFI so this is all I do. If you have carbs you can spray fog oil into the intake while its running on the hose and get a better fogging.

Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

Sorry to threadjack but...does anyone know a good outboard repair person? I have a 9.9 that needs a little TLC over the winter. It is for my zodiac and the kids use it by themselves so it needs to be rock solid.

Is it a mercury 9.9? Chris at Buckeye Outdoors Marine is a great Mercury mechanic

Sorry to threadjack but...does anyone know a good outboard repair person? I have a 9.9 that needs a little TLC over the winter. It is for my zodiac and the kids use it by themselves so it needs to be rock solid.

Eddie Fisher (or his son) are both fantastic, honest guys. Fisher Marina in Millersport.

• 1 month later...

2 stroke...

Anyways, change lower unit oil, put a little fogging oil in each cylinder (optional) Maybe drain fuel from carbs.

If you are stabile fuel from it the last few weeks of boating you really don't need to do anything.

At home I always fogged our boats, at the dealership I worked at we would never do fogging. Change LU and go.