how to check if a motorcycle is stolen?

xlr8tn

My neighbor has an older kawasaki enduro he said he'd sell me for my son. He doesn't have a title and before I even think about it I'd want to make sure it's not stolen and I'd like to get a title for it. How do I go about doing that? Just take the VIN to the dmv or something?

question 2

My uncle has an 01 Polaris 500 4 wheeler he bought new back in 01. He said he'd sell that to me cheap. He doesn't have a title for it either. Pretty sure he never got a title for it. I know 100% it's not stolen but I would still want a title for it. Would I be able to get one? I'm guessing at a minimum I'd have to pay the original taxes on it since he probably didn't if he never applied for a title. I'm just not sure what all is involved in getting a title.

Your best bet on the Polaris is to have him apply for a new title. When you buy them new, the dealer will supply a title. If you get pulled over with it on private/public land that is not yours, you need a way to prove you own the thing.

As for the bike, if a bike is over like 15 years you can register it in Maine without a title through the mail for a fee. There are places that will do this, then the company in Maine will mail you a registration from Maine you take to the BMV to get an Ohio title. I did it in NY which has crazy PIA rules and forms. Worked just fine. I think it was like $75

Your best bet on the Polaris is to have him apply for a new title. When you buy them new, the dealer will supply a title. If you get pulled over with it on private/public land that is not yours, you need a way to prove you own the thing.

As for the bike, if a bike is over like 15 years you can register it in Maine without a title through the mail for a fee. There are places that will do this, then the company in Maine will mail you a registration from Maine you take to the BMV to get an Ohio title. I did it in NY which has crazy PIA rules and forms. Worked just fine. I think it was like $75

thanks for the info and advice.....the reason I want a title is so that I can get a trail pass for WNF mostly. My uncle is in Missouri so if I go down there to pick the Polaris up I'll see about him just applying for a new title for me. Seems like he said he never got one originally but I could be wrong there. His house burned a couple years back so maybe that's what happened to the title. We only talked about it for a few minutes really. I'm going to call him this week and figure out exactly what's up with the title and go from there. The 4 wheeler is in excellent condition as he's taken real good care of it and hasn't really had it out a ton. Just to putt around the yard on and stuff like that. Being my uncle I definitely trust it much more than the neighbors bike. I'd rather have one I know for sure isn't stolen and then just work on getting the title. The upside is I'd feel a little better about my son riding a 4 wheeler versus a bike. I may still check on the bike though and get both if it looks legit.