Grand Prix Karting - Coming to Columbus

bmwohio

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went with the SCCA guys last Friday and it was much more fun than I was expecting it to be. I was kinda hoping it would be a letdown so that I wouldn't have to keep going back and spending $$$ but it was a great time.

Yea, I was supposed to go to that too...heard it was a good time.....Andy, even with the 'slip n slide' conditions?? I hope they 'grate' it a little for some more traction

It's out if their hands. Thay have done all they can to be open. The city is dragging their feet with the paperwork. So they have been optimistic on the timing for that paperwork to be cleared. It is what it is. At least they are here. I'll be posting a private CR meeting later today, I hope. Waiting for a call back. Set up two events yesterday with them.

Can someone confirm that this will be worth a shit before I plunk down $50?

it's an amazing track , The 9hp karts have enough unf to hold controlled slides through most of the corners, The course is very drift friendly and the karts are very controllable. The guy who owns the place is a instructor for NASA and races with the miata guys.

I've been there once and can't wait to go back

best time so far, 41.6 I believe

Yea, I was supposed to go to that too...heard it was a good time.....Andy, even with the 'slip n slide' conditions?? I hope they 'grate' it a little for some more traction

We were discussing that a little amongst ourselves. I'm absolutely with you...I'd love for it not to be a drift fest. Problem is, as I've been told is those polished concrete floors are VERY durable, if you start to open up the surface it will lead to it breaking down over time and turning to junk.

That and if you could carry the corner speed those things are capable of it would mean crashes at much higher rates of speed if / when you get it wrong.

Just means you have to figure out a different means of driving for that application. No matter what you're doing it's all about maximizing what you've got so I found the challenge to be quite fun.

It was a good time and more fun than I thought it'd be. The only downside is that there was inconsistency in the karts. There were a couple that were so tail happy they were really hard to drive. Still fun but no hope of being fast if you got one of those. Hopefully they can make them more consistent over time.

I don't think they'll be able to grate the floor because it will open it up for degradation over time. That polished concrete surface is strong and will last well.

It was a good time and more fun than I thought it'd be. The only downside is that there was inconsistency in the karts. There were a couple that were so tail happy they were really hard to drive. Still fun but no hope of being fast if you got one of those. Hopefully they can make them more consistent over time.

I don't think they'll be able to grate the floor because it will open it up for degradation over time. That polished concrete surface is strong and will last well.

Damn that kart #16 :fuuuu:

Coke syrup - great for indoor use - used to be the "track prep" of choice for old indoor kart/quarter midget winter series.

one of my friends said that they should just pour a 2 liter on every corner. Awesome idea, horrible if you ever wanted to clean it up.

I think like any track as rubber builds up it will get less slick. I agree about inconsistency in kart ax

My last kart was too twitchy and caused me to hit the wall a few times too many

Coulda been tires or seat position...the latter makes a giant difference in kart handling characteristics with every notch in the range

Damn that kart #16 :fuuuu:

Yeah 16 was the worst by far. There were a couple others that were rough too. When we got there they said that they were playing around with tire pressures on the karts so I wonder if maybe some had goofy combinations and didn't get changed back with the rest of the karts.

Coulda been tires or seat position...the latter makes a giant difference in kart handling characteristics with every notch in the range

All three karts I was essentially to short for. They could get me close enough to the pedals and steering wheel but the steering wheel was too high for me and I didn't have great angle to steer- the first kart was great- second was meh - kinda twitchy, third was almost scary- fourth kart wasn't bad but I couldn't get it right either

It’s good to see that people are excited about this.

Little tid bit of information I got to add is they have ordered the softest compound tires that are made for those karts. Apparently they are 100% natural rubber. They’ve already tested a set and liked what they saw. Said that the tire had more consistent grip across the board. Their going as far as logging tire temps after each ‘test’ session to see which combo’s are working the best. So their trying. And as everyone else has said over time it will rubber up. Plus once summer rolls around and the concrete heats up you should see more grip and lap times fall.

It’s good to see that people are excited about this.

Little tid bit of information I got to add is they have ordered the softest compound tires that are made for those karts. Apparently they are 100% natural rubber. They’ve already tested a set and liked what they saw. Said that the tire had more consistent grip across the board. Their going as far as logging tire temps after each ‘test’ session to see which combo’s are working the best. So their trying. And as everyone else has said over time it will rubber up. Plus once summer rolls around and the concrete heats up you should see more grip and lap times fall.

Any idea if the new tires have been installed yet?

• 1 month later...
So! They put new tires on last week.... and they have the new counter put in (which was required for inspections because apparently what was already in teh building wasnt sufficient
We are changing over to a natural rubber tire instead of the synthetic ones. SO these wont get hard with age or heat cycles like the other ones, and not lose performance all the way to the cords