New toy

RelliK

Being around all this water in Jacksonville couldn't take not having a boat any longer. Picked this up yesterday ,1999 velocity 260. First run out today in the St. John's, was hoping for 80mph best we saw with full tank of fuel and four people was 76 on the gps!

http://i.imgur.com/V9p8fUp.jpg

Linn it's a 502 mpi with Hardin Gil exhaust. Running a 25 pitch four blade. Boat handles like a dream has tabs and external steering as well. The pad bottoms on these boats are amazing.

Wow the boat runs great, my stock carbed 502 will only turn a Bravo I 24 pitch 4700 rpm and runs 64 on GPS. Is the beam on the 260 7ft?

The boat looks great I've always liked Velocity boats.

Linn , it's the hull on these boats that makes them quick. It's 8 foot beam. The tapered v bottom on these boats are amazing, the pad makes the difference compared to say a baja or checkmate of similar size. Edited by RelliK

Linn , it's the hull on these boats that makes them quick. It's 8 foot beam. The tapered v bottom on these boats are amazing, the pad makes the difference compared to say a baja or checkmate of similar size.

My boat is noticeable faster than every other Baja with even 60 more HP and runs better than a 27ft fountain with more power.

I'm just surprised with ~50 HP more your boat is 12 MPH faster on GPS.

What year is the fountain ? The older ones without the single step are noticeably slower. What boat do you have again? My boat may have a mild cam in it too , sounds a bit healthier than most 496/502 I have heard. Seems to be making a bit more power than the rated 415 it's supposed to be kicking out.

What year is the fountain ? The older ones without the single step are noticeably slower. What boat do you have again? My boat may have a mild cam in it too , sounds a bit healthier than most 496/502 I have heard. Seems to be making a bit more power than the rated 415 it's supposed to be kicking out.

I have a Checkmate 253. The 27 ft fountain is a stepped hull and has a blue motor 454, rated at 450 HP. I've raced him about 10 times this summer. It's always close but I pull from him every time even when I had 4 passengers and he had one. 496 Bajas are no problem for me.

To give you an idea during the LOTO shootout three weeks ago the winner for my class NV1S1 (Non-professional, V-bottom, 22'-26' length, Stock power, 1 engine) ran 71.

I don't know if your headers would bump you into the modified stock power class but a cam definitely would.

Either way 76 is rolling on the water.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to switch to EFI setup over the winter and a labbed prop or just get my prop labbed and hope to pick up 3 mph.

A 27 stepped hull Fountain with that power should run in the low 70's. A 260 Velocity with a stock 502 should run 73-74mph under ideal conditions. The Hardins are worth about 2-3mph on that boat so I bet it has an upgraded cam. For reference my 280 which is 2 feet longer ran 72 with a bone stock 502mag. It's a fast hull...

Sam paid 22 k for the boat, it has external steering , tabs and drive shower on it along with the aftermarket exhaust. Haven't seen anything lately even without all that for less than 30k. We ran it again today the boat likes 1 to 2 foot chop to run hard. We had it in the back water running on flat and didn't do as well. Boat definitely has a mild cam in it trying to get some videos of it my buddy took today.