AT&T Wireless Question

ForeverMaker

Any AT&T wireless reps on CR? I used to be on a business plan then moved off of it. My contract is up and they said I cannot move to a new plan (trying to do prepaid because it is much cheaper) or I will lose my number. WTF. Is it worthing looking into Sprint or something?

That aside... any recommendations on what phone to get? Galaxy S4? I know nothing about droid phones.

Note 3 or S4

Are you on a "personal" plan now? I don't think you can port your number from ATT to pre paid att. If you cancel your line that number is held for 6 months also. ATT reps in store are normally dumb as shit, call the customer service line 1 800 331 0500 or talk to someone through the online chat.

ATT GO has a lot less coverage as well vs non GO so look at the coverage map, it may be worth it for you to move to Sprint from ATT depending on what features you want to have (Interwebz, texting, talk).

Also, look into getting a google voice number and making that your primary number from now on so you don't run into this situation again.

I just realized my contract has been up for awhile with AT&T. They don't offer unlimited data and my single line on average was between $140-180. Just switched to sprint for unlimited everything for $80.... The service is pretty spotty to be honest, but I'm in Charlotte not Columbus.

ok thanks. good info. yes I am on a personal plan but was on a business. I think I will go with a S4 on verizon. I should be able to keep my number.

I do have google voice which I use for business/freelance stuff so that has been nice.

You can keep your number that way but, Verizon and ATT have the same prices for everything, you won't be saving any money at all if you go with a contract through them and get the same things you have with ATT.

Also, remember to check the coverage maps with "Go Phones". They are very different than if you sign up on a contract.

Stay far away from Sprint. I've got a work phone through sprint, and "spotty" is putting it nicely. On a recent nation wide test conducted by pcmag.com Sprint's data speeds averaged 420kbps. That's kilobits. Slower than VZW and ATT's 2g speeds.

If ATT won't let you port the number, borrow someone's T Mobile phone, buy a $10 SIM card, go to the T Mobile website to activate the phone and when you go to sign up as a new customer they will offer you the secret $30 prepaid plan, use that and port your number to the them, might take a couple days. Afterword, port it right back to ATT. Or you could decide that T Mobile isn't so bad like I did and stay with them.

Speaking from experience, stay the fuck away from Sprint. After 11 years with them I was happy to pay them the $360 early termination fee to escape.

I switched to straight talk prepaid, unlimited everything for $50 (includes tax)

uses AT&T towers, service has been great getting and awesome download speeds.

I bought a note 2 on ebay for $400 and have bee using that.

you are able to port your number with it too.

Welp, that was short-lived. The phone was awesome but there is some issue with iPhone users not being able to text me since I switched. (which is all my friends, family, and coworkers) So long story short I am now back on an iPhone. Horribly long process at the Verizon store in which all they try to do is sell you accessories.

Welp, that was short-lived. The phone was awesome but there is some issue with iPhone users not being able to text me since I switched. (which is all my friends, family, and coworkers) So long story short I am now back on an iPhone. Horribly long process at the Verizon store in which all they try to do is sell you accessories.

Huh?! You mean iMessage? Friends and family have limited texts? Shouldn't matter if they have unlimited text.

Huh?! You mean iMessage? Friends and family have limited texts? Shouldn't matter if they have unlimited text.

No, I mean anytime someone with an iPhone sent me a text I would never get it. It was somehow still tied up in iMessage even though I removed my device/id from Apple.

90% of the people I know, including everyone I work with has an iPhone so I had to switch back. Sucks but Verizon couldn't do anything.

Stay far away from Sprint. I've got a work phone through sprint, and "spotty" is putting it nicely. On a recent nation wide test conducted by pcmag.com Sprint's data speeds averaged 420kbps. That's kilobits. Slower than VZW and ATT's 2g speeds.

It's been a few days since I posted that, I absolutely hate the service. It's terrible

DO NOT GET SPRINT!!!!!!

We've had them here at work for the last few years and you will be incredibly disappointed with the network speeds. I was barely getting 1Mb speeds inside the outer belt. We switched to verizon a few weeks ago and the 20Mb speeds are amazing.