power wheels

The_buster

Looking into getting one for the 4yo in the spring/summer. anybody here have any input on them? it would be kept at my parents who have 14 acres, 3.5 are mowed short grass. My daughter likes the pink Escalade one, are the bigger truck styles better than the cars, and can you trust used ones off the facebook selling wall/ craigslist?

The batteries don't last for shit in the grass IMHO. Get a few batteries with a GOOD charger or the batteries will get ruined.

I bought 3 off of craigslist and they were fine, but be weary if they don't have a battery and won't let you try it. Odds are it's busted and they don't want you to know it. They claim they don't have a battery for you to test it.

If you plan on getting more than one, get ones that take the same battery. THet will save you headaches in the long run.

My only advice is get one with the good tires.

I got my kids an Escalade when they were young and the damn thing wouldn't move on anything but flat ground.

Big ass rubber bands on the tires. ;) Some people cut out sections of innertube for the same, or you can go to ebay and buy "traction bands" but if you do, you run the risk of trashing the gearbox. Since there is no protection for the gearing, the slipping tires are the "safety" to keep from trashing the gearing.

You can always start them on little gas powered 4wheelers (50cc's n such)

IMHO, if you have the room these are a better idea. By the time the kids get into playing on the electrics, the batteries get weak. Some of the 50cc ones even have a remote so you can kill the engine if needed.

Batteries are the weak spot on them. In grass it chews up the batteries, but they get better traction. I would not hesitate to use craigslist. Meet at a neutral place if you can, talk the person on the phone and test it out. If there is no battery, you can hotwire it with a motorcycle battery and some leads. At least to see if the wheels turn and switches work.

I acquired a powerwheels when I was 14 when my parents cleaned out the apt they owned. I put a car battery in it and drove all over sitting in the bed of the Big Foot.

IMHO, if you have the room these are a better idea. By the time the kids get into playing on the electrics, the batteries get weak. Some of the 50cc ones even have a remote so you can kill the engine if needed.

Got my first 50cc quad runner for my 3rd east (Suzuki), I wish I still had that thing lol. My son has a power wheels and has driven it maybe 3 times, he would rather ride on his grandpas golf kart

Get one of the small six volt ones. Batteries are available on ebay. Get a good charger as mentioned above. My kids have had three 6 volt ones, and have four 12 volt ones. Barbie jeep, mustang, Toyota SUV, and my boy has a raptor. They can be easily modded too. Just use sealed batteries, that won't leak acid if they fall out.

Believe it or not they have a recall list just like the real ones. I only know this because my father bought my daughter 2 of the solstice's and they didn't have a fused power source for some reason. Looked it up online and whoever sent him 2 new batteries with fuse cables and chargers for them as well. Just be careful what you buy and look online.

On another note.....there is a forum just for mods somewhere.

battery care will go a long ways towards saving them. We have a powerwheels quad in the shed that I bought for my son when he was 3....he's 10 now and I painted it pink and my daughter used it until she got too big for it. We've had it 7 years and I only had to buy 1 battery for it. Just gotta take care of the batteries.

My vote is to talk the wife into letting you get a cheap china quad. I bought one for my son when he turned 5 brand new for ~$450. 5 years later and he and my daughter still ride it daily. I couldn't even begin to add up the hours they've put on that thing in 5 years. It had several cool safety features when we bought it. Like an alarm with a remote kill switch and a govern for the throttle. I've replaced a ton of parts on it but all the parts are dirt cheap for it. I know people hate the chinese shit but it's worked out great for us.

My vote is to talk the wife into letting you get a cheap china quad. I bought one for my son when he turned 5 brand new for ~$450. 5 years later and he and my daughter still ride it daily. I couldn't even begin to add up the hours they've put on that thing in 5 years. It had several cool safety features when we bought it. Like an alarm with a remote kill switch and a govern for the throttle. I've replaced a ton of parts on it but all the parts are dirt cheap for it. I know people hate the chinese shit but it's worked out great for us.

Any links? Might pitch this idea to the wife, although then I'll one a bigger one for myself...

They make a 24 volt mini bike. Walmart use to sell them. It's what I'll be getting next year if I don't find anything better. My 2 year old is a dare devil seems pretty bored with his power wheels harley and quad. I actually just threw his 6volt jeep in the trash a few weeks ago cause he stopped riding it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Razor-MX350-Dirt-Rocket/12346986?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=51485034919&category=0%3A4171%3A133073%3A5353&client_guid=162743d8-6c33-40c3-8fd0-1080197c0f3f&config_id=2&parent_item_id=22245697&guid=0e8f477a-92fd-43ec-b8a2-4570d1c7dbb9&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n

Might even go the electric go cart route.