Builders: question about my shop

XChris1632X

I have a pretty big shop out back. It is actually three separate sections put together to one building over the years as money allowed. The back section is my work area. I just put a lift in and am slowly getting a good setup going. Right now I am dreading winter because it gets nasty cold in there. It literally gets colder than outside due to the concrete and metal. I want to put some heat in but first step is insulation. I am going to partition off the rear section and start there first. Eventually I will add a white metal ceiling. For now I just need to get some insulation hanging. Because I won't have a ceiling up yet I don't want to do a spray in fiber insulation. My plan is to do bits at a time as money allows and as easy as possible.

Here is a picture of the rafters. They are 4ft apart. I can't find any rolls of insulation 4ft wide. At least not any with good r value. What are your recommendations.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/XChris1632X/IMAG0464_zps21ec075f.jpg

It they are 4' on center you can sheath it with OSB for $10 a sheet at Lowes. Also use their Lowe's credit card for another 5% everyday. Then take fiberglass insulation paper side up, tape them together with TyVek tape (house wrap) and toss it on top of the OSB with the paper facing down to be a vapor barrier. You can get a R value as high as you need this way. Whatever your buget will allow you to buy for insulation. R-39 is recommended for ceilings in homes, so anything over R-20 would be great if you plan on keeping it ~50.

Another option would be to buy 2" pink rigid foam at Lowe's or Home Depot. It runs about $30 a 4'x8' sheet. Then use 3" drywall screws with fender washers and attach that to the underside of the trusses. This will give you an R-10

You will also need to do the walls, but with the 2x4's laying flat you will not get much more then a R-7. You will have to attach more 2x4 material on edge to give you 5" of space and you could put fiberglass in there and leave the paper exposed for the time being until you can sheath it.

What are you heating with? Those torpedo propane heaters will do a great job in like 20 minutes of heating that space up if you have some kind of ceiling. Even just OSB or even plastic. Heat it up, then work. It will cool off fast when your done though. You will never be able to get the floor even remotely warm no matter what you do. Just lay on cardboard and wear warm boots out there.

If they are 4' on center you can sheath it with OSB for $10 a sheet at Lowes. Also use their Lowe's credit card for another 5% everyday. Then take fiberglass insulation paper side up, tape them together with TyVek tape (house wrap) and toss it on top of the OSB with the paper facing down to be a vapor barrier. You can get a R value as high as you need this way. Whatever your buget will allow you to buy for insulation. R-39 is recommended for ceilings in homes, so anything over R-20 would be great if you plan on keeping it ~50.

Another option would be to buy 2" pink rigid foam at Lowe's or Home Depot. It runs about $30 a 4'x8' sheet. Then use 3" drywall screws with fender washers and attach that to the underside of the trusses. This will give you an R-10 and vapor barrier if you tape the seams. You could put a little cellulose on top of that foam, maybe 4-6" for more R-value in the future.

You will also need to do the walls, but with the 2x4's laying flat you will not get much more then a R-7. You will have to attach more 2x4 material on edge to give you 5" of space and you could put fiberglass in there and leave the paper exposed for the time being until you can sheath it.

On the walls you could also buy those foam kits and spray the walls with about 3" of foam. Think "Great Stuff" on steriods. Amazon has everything! http://amzn.com/B00BPWS9R8

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314uHMTWRuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What are you heating with? Those torpedo propane heaters will do a great job in like 20 minutes of heating that space up if you have some kind of ceiling. Even just OSB or even plastic. Heat it up, then work. It will cool off fast when your done though. You will never be able to get the floor even remotely warm no matter what you do. Just lay on cardboard and wear warm boots out there.

pm sent.

Text sent

Way OT, but nice work space!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

thanks. That isn't a picture of even 1/4 of it lol. It isn't any good though if you can't use it when it's cold. I'll post pics of the rest of it.

If they are 4' on center you can sheath it with OSB for $10 a sheet at Lowes. Also use their Lowe's credit card for another 5% everyday. Then take fiberglass insulation paper side up, tape them together with TyVek tape (house wrap) and toss it on top of the OSB with the paper facing down to be a vapor barrier. You can get a R value as high as you need this way. Whatever your buget will allow you to buy for insulation. R-39 is recommended for ceilings in homes, so anything over R-20 would be great if you plan on keeping it ~50.

Another option would be to buy 2" pink rigid foam at Lowe's or Home Depot. It runs about $30 a 4'x8' sheet. Then use 3" drywall screws with fender washers and attach that to the underside of the trusses. This will give you an R-10 and vapor barrier if you tape the seams. You could put a little cellulose on top of that foam, maybe 4-6" for more R-value in the future.

On the walls you could also buy those foam kits and spray the walls with about 3" of foam. Think "Great Stuff" on steriods. Amazon has everything! http://amzn.com/B00BPWS9R8

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314uHMTWRuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I do hvac so I am going to use a furnace and run duct work.

I thought about using osb but it will be a waste when next year I put metal up.

I think I might look into the spray foam.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13617-236-227112_0__?productId=3012216&Ntt=spray+foam&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dspray%2Bfoam&facetInfo=

this is what i was referencing too. i done a comparison last year during winter. It raised the heat temp 15 degrees just by sealing all corners, and i sealed where the roof met the sides. It is really flat where i live so wind during winter it is nothing uncommon to have 5-6 foot drifts. Just by doing this though, i can heat my garage with the wood burning stove and work on cars on a concrete floor in 70 degrees.

Cheapest thing to do right away would be to buy a good size roll of decently thick plastic and staple it up. You can then put your metal right over it.

This won't necessarily give you "R-value", but it will allow you to heat the workspace fairly comfortably.

Aside from that, I'd buy the rolls of foil backed insulation, or fanfold, and staple it up.

Cheapest thing to do right away would be to buy a good size roll of decently thick plastic and staple it up. You can then put your metal right over it.

This won't necessarily give you "R-value", but it will allow you to heat the workspace fairly comfortably.

Aside from that, I'd buy the rolls of foil backed insulation, or fanfold, and staple it up.

I will prob do plastic regardless. I thought about insulating right over the plastic.

Finish you ceiling and blow in Attic Cat insulation. Its cheap, fast, and works great

I don't have the thousands needed for metal right now.

Plastic strung every 4 feet will most likely not support blown in insulation. You might have to shore up the plastic w/ furring strips or 1x1's...

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Yeah that has been something I have been considering as well.

I'm looking at the diy spray kits but I don't know if either my math is way of or if those kits will cost me $8000 to do 40x60 ceiling

what we did was put in drywall (you will need to put in more support) and then put insulation boards on top of that... now it stays warm in there when we turn on the heater. it wasn't cheap but wasn't too bad, what's the size of the building?