2013-14 snow season!

mrs.cos

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a car without full time AWD, they even say it in the test. Try that test again with a Subaru and a decent set of all seasons.

No disagreement here. Besides Audi, Subaru is the best AWD you can get.

I still will always say that the overall cost of gas mileage + maintenance + sale price premium for AWD isn't cost effective when compared to an equivalent 2WD car + cost of snow tires and wheels. At least in central Ohio.

I still have yet to find a "hill" in OH (that isn't someone's driveway) that I had trouble with in 2WD + snows.

EDIT: I'll let you know how the Focus handles Vermont when I'm there around Thanksgiving. My folks' house there has a pretty nasty driveway that my old Exploder 4WD had trouble with on all-seasons.

No disagreement here. Besides Audi, Subaru is the best AWD you can get.

I still will always say that the overall cost of gas mileage + maintenance + sale price premium for AWD isn't cost effective when compared to an equivalent 2WD car + cost of snow tires and wheels. At least in central Ohio.

I still have yet to find a "hill" in OH (that isn't someone's driveway) that I had trouble with in 2WD + snows.

EDIT: I'll let you know how the Focus handles Vermont when I'm there around Thanksgiving. My folks' house there has a pretty nasty driveway that my old Exploder 4WD had trouble with on all-seasons.

Powell road hill.

Where at in VT? Were headed to ludlow at the end of Jan. :)

Powell road hill.

Where at in VT? Were headed to ludlow at the end of Jan. :)

Ahh heading to Okemo huh?

Parent's house is in Peru, just outside of Londonderry and about 5 minutes from Bromley, 20 minutes from Stratton, maybe 30 minutes from Okemo depending on traffic.

Okemo is where I learned to snowboard, many fond memories there. Also love Jackson Gore.

EDIT is that the hill around 315? Been there done that in a '95 M3 with Blizzaks.

Ahh heading to Okemo huh?

Parent's house is in Peru, just outside of Londonderry and about 5 minutes from Bromley, 20 minutes from Stratton, maybe 30 minutes from Okemo depending on traffic.

Okemo is where I learned to snowboard, many fond memories there. Also love Jackson Gore.

EDIT is that the hill around 315? Been there done that in a '95 M3 with Blizzaks.

Yep, Okemo. Got our tickets and room booked for the last week of January.Going to be a long drive but should be worth it for 3 days of epic riding. They open tomorrow.

Any hidden gems or secrets we should know about there? Id like to get into some ungroomed back country.

I'll be up in Vermont for the week of Thanksgiving too. A little further North though, in St. Albans. If you get the chance, try to get to Jay Peak to snowboard. Tons of terrain and long runs.

I came here to post the same vid you did. Interesting watch; plus all of what you guys have already said.

Yep, Okemo. Got our tickets and room booked for the last week of January.Going to be a long drive but should be worth it for 3 days of epic riding. They open tomorrow.

Any hidden gems or secrets we should know about there? Id like to get into some ungroomed back country.

Mad River Glen. 85% natural snow, almost always ungroomed, it's among the toughest in the country. They don't allow snowboarding due to the minimal amount of snow.

Bromley is a very easy for the most part. There are some very tough trails but not worth the drive from Okemo.

I don't know how it's managed (if your passes will work), but Jackson Gore is on the backside of Okemo and has some very challenging trails and is very steep. I think you'd like that. Also the South Face of Okemo is tough due to the sunny exposure and altitude.

If you like terrain parks, take a day and go to Stratton. It's awesome.

EDIT: And I agree with Mojoe, if you have the opportunity to get to Jay Peak, it's among the best in New England.

EDIT2: Another thing. Follow the Google maps directions. I-80 is usually a clusterfuck and despite the tolls on I-90, you will find it a much easier drive. If you have a day that's raining/you're not on the slopes, VT's route 30 is among my favorite driving roads in the entire country. Manchester is a nice town and if your gf likes buying shit, there's some high-end outlets there.

Mad River Glen. 85% natural snow, almost always ungroomed, it's among the toughest in the country. They don't allow snowboarding due to the minimal amount of snow.

Bromley is a very easy for the most part. There are some very tough trails but not worth the drive from Okemo.

I don't know how it's managed (if your passes will work), but Jackson Gore is on the backside of Okemo and has some very challenging trails and is very steep. I think you'd like that. Also the South Face of Okemo is tough due to the sunny exposure and altitude.

If you like terrain parks, take a day and go to Stratton. It's awesome.

EDIT: And I agree with Mojoe, if you have the opportunity to get to Jay Peak, it's among the best in New England.

EDIT2: Another thing. Follow the Google maps directions. I-80 is usually a clusterfuck and despite the tolls on I-90, you will find it a much easier drive. If you have a day that's raining/you're not on the slopes, VT's route 30 is among my favorite driving roads in the entire country. Manchester is a nice town and if your gf likes buying shit, there's some high-end outlets there.

Awesome info. Jackson gore is part of the main mountain i believe. There is a trail that crosses over to jackson gore and visa versa.

I have real issues with the new Watch vs Warning System.

A tornado WATCH is what we should be under, a WARNING tells me i should be in my basement/bathroom under a matress.

It bugs me greatly that we are under a tornado warning.

you are in Marion county?