2013-14 snow season!

mrs.cos

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. Im sorry i thought the banner said we are under a warning, but it still bothers me how the system works now.

I think the only difference is that they issue a warning with a spin up but no touch down.

The WARNING system now is conditions are favorable for a tornado-- which is what a WATCH is used to be.. so what is a WATCH now?

No its not. Where did you hear that? They only issue a warning with rotation.

Correct, but its not being used that way in franklin county, that i can tell.

A tornado warning is the ultimate in severe warnings, it means that a tornado is either occurring or imminent based on radar. You should take cover immediately.

This was NOT how it was used today.

Doppler radar has progressed in recent years to the point that a tornado or at least extremely fast rotation can be detected within the clouds. This is what the NWS uses to issue tornado warnings now. The app I mentioned in Tims thread "Radar Alive Pro" can show level 2 radar data and wind velocities. I've been monitoring this storm on it and at around 6,000-9,000ft wind speeds have been 70-90mph. In the area's of rotation you get winds of the same speeds moving in opposite directions on the radar and that is where the tornado warning comes into play.

Using radar we still can't see the rest of the story and be 100% that there is a tornado, especially if its not close enough to the doppler station to see data near the ground so the warning is a good indicator to at least be alert and not be caught in a bad spot.

At 19:44 a tornado was sighted near Carrol, OH. I don't think I'd want to "sight" one on this dark rainy night. Would be a bit close and sometimes they have buddies.

Here's a map of tonights outbreak.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/TornadooutbreakCapture_zps7174c48d.jpg

Parents are debating on leaving for Florida later this week (towing a 34' Camper down to the Keys). I've been watching the weather, but they have been trying to decide if leaving Friday would be fine, or if it would be advantageous to bail on Thanksgiving and leave Wednesday or Thursday early before the roads are awful.

We'll see what plays out!

Parents are debating on leaving for Florida later this week (towing a 34' Camper down to the Keys). I've been watching the weather, but they have been trying to decide if leaving Friday would be fine, or if it would be advantageous to bail on Thanksgiving and leave Wednesday or Thursday early before the roads are awful.

We'll see what plays out!

It will be done and over with by wednesday afternoon. Roads should be completely cleared by thanksgiving. I see no reason for them to try to leave early.