Best new laptop brand?

ImUrOBGYN

Mac Book Air

Dont like the Air's.

Macbook PRO all the way.

DualBoot with VMWare fusion: use the Mac side for surfing/email/etc. Then switch to Windows (when needed) for all your Windows programs. Best of both worlds in one computer.

Is this for you or the GF's parents??

Dont like the Air's.

Macbook PRO all the way.

DualBoot with VMWare fusion: use the Mac side for surfing/email/etc. Then switch to Windows (when needed) for all your Windows programs. Best of both worlds in one computer.

Is this for you or the GF's parents??

Just chillax my bromosexual ... I know what you're talking about .... but I doubt he wants to run $3300 deep into a laptop.

Entry Macbook Air does the job quite well and the battery lasts a long time too.

(my rig)

http://i.imgur.com/m9x4s7fl.jpg

. but I doubt he wants to run $3300

Buying Macbooks new :dumb:

I buy them broke, then fix em. I paid like $300 for my Current 2008 Pro 3 years ago. I paid $180 for my Fathers, dude had spilled a 22oz beer on it. Took it apart, cleaned the (burnt) contacts for the DC-IN power connection, put her back togeather and whola: been running perfect for 2+ years.

it's all personal preference. Myself, I've had good luck with ASUS products, while others don't care for them

Just got my hands on the new UX301 today. It's a beast! Don't care to be $3k deep in a new laptop? How about $2k...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/asus-zenbook-ux301-hands-on/

exactly. Drive them all see which one your ass feels better in

LOL.

More like "visit a malicious website and decide which one is better"

Or.

Run Windows update VS Mac update and see which one has more Security Updates. Windows has them weekly, Mac? Maybe once every 2 months, if that.

It's for my girlfriend's folks. Nothing crazy expensive and preferably not Apple as that's not what they're shopping for. Feel free to pm to avoid any brand wars and/or point me to some learning type website. lol

What about an iPad? It would fit the bill for what you have posted their needs to be...

KillJoy

Opinions? Haven't really looked at a laptop in 2-3 years. It won't really be for gaming so nothing crazy there. Just a good media/browsing laptop. Again, just looking more for a good brand to go suggest to gf's parents..

the above meets the requirements of an iPad. Especially if it's for someone that may not be computer savvy. On/Off, apps and easy to use. Just add in a nice keyboard like the various bluetooth Logitechs. Rarely use my PC to browse the net any more.

It's for my girlfriend's folks. Nothing crazy expensive and preferably not Apple as that's not what they're shopping for. Feel free to pm to avoid any brand wars and/or point me to some learning type website. lol

As a rule of thumb anyone over 50 in our family/extended family gets a Mac, whether they like it or not. There's simply too many vulnerabilities in Windows for the "elderly" to handle...Literally, it's become absurd.

Read any number of articles on this dudes blog if you don't believe me.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/11/cryptolocker-crew-ratchets-up-the-ransom/

Note most, if not all of the viruses he mentions are encrypted, which means your "super duper windows anti-virus" wont detect them, initially at least.

And I like windows, I use it all the time while watching Movies/PRon/Photoshopping etc. But from a web-browsing/Email perspective Windows is a downright nightmare.

Never will forget when one of my ex-hacker buddies logged into some random girls computer which he bugged, then started texting her mom out of nowhere, Like "I own you, do a barrel roll or i'll lock your computer etc." (Mainly just for lulz), I think he took control of her AIM and messaged her Science teacher with something like "I've always fantasized about your cock in my ass" :lol: - (I have the screen shots/videos somewhere). Should be noted this Windows computer had all the updates along with high-end antivirus, and my dude completely owned it. This same guy also went on to make like $40k/year simply bugging windows computers with malware, it is literally cake.

That said I stopped associating with him when I found out what he was doing, mainly because I was almost certain he had hacked me days before. I bought a Mac two weeks later.

As a rule of thumb anyone over 50 in our family/extended family gets a Mac, whether they like it or not. There's simply too many vulnerabilities in Windows for the "elderly" to handle...Literally, it's become absurd.

Read any number of articles on this dudes blog if you don't believe me.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/11/cryptolocker-crew-ratchets-up-the-ransom/

Note most, if not all of the viruses he mentions are encrypted, which means your "super duper windows anti-virus" wont detect them, initially at least.

I may employ this for my dad... But I know he wont spend the money for one

I may employ this for my dad... But I know he wont spend the money for one

Get an ipad, or an older Macbook (non pro) used. About a year ago I was selling legit, fully functional 2007/2008 "Plug and Play" White Macbooks for $300-$350. They sold within days. Again, buying one new is just laughable. 85% of the 50+ market doesn't need the newest, fastest Macbook (or anything close) . My father is on a 2006 Macbook pro and it's all he will ever need for the rest of his life, in fact it's probably a bit overkill

I've had a couple HPs along with a couple friends. They all ran hot, the batteries were shot quickly, and the power cords failed. I'd avoid them.

I've been using a refurb lenovo for about 2 years now. It's been great, but has been starting to blue screen maybe once or twice a week, not sure why.

I'm sure they don't want to buy a used machine. Just stick to windows, they're already familiar and it's not overpriced. If they want to connect to other devices on their network for media, it will also just work....no mac bullshit workarounds required.

Any well known brand will be fine.