What would CR do?

Boosted1G GSX

I'm in a little situation and wondering how I should approach it, and hoping to get some input.

I just graduated college in May from Ohio Wesleyan University with a degree in Economic management. My dad owns his own shop in Columbus (not trying to promote, just stating) and I plan on becoming an ASE certified tech next year. I really want to start welding, and I'm just trying to decide the best way to go about it. We have a MIG welder at the shop, but in all honesty it doesn't get used much. I want to start TIG welding so I can start building my own parts. I know very little, so pretty much I'm starting from scratch. Some ideas that have crossed my mind:

- Take a welding class at CSCC

- Trying to intern at a shop, which would be difficult working full time and also coaching basketball, nevertheless doable.

- Going to buy a welder and seeing how it goes. Doesn't seem realistic because I don't have any type of guidance.

So any input would be greatly appreciated!

Cliffs: how would you start welding with no experience and little knowledge, while also balancing a full time and part time job?

I built my own welder for about $100 bucks and learned myself. I have since gotten a MIG and can do a decent job of sticking pieces of metal together though I'm sure I'm far from a "good" professional.

I probably had about 40hrs with my home made stick welder before I was burning sticks pretty well. The MIG is stupid easy by comparison and I can actually do thin "to me" stuff.

Definitely start with MIG, they're easier to play around with. Get a pile of scrap metal, casually ask a couple guys for some pointers, and spend a few hours researching on the internet and dive in. You should get comfortable within a couple weeks and have a basic understanding, then go after the TIG.

Not trying to be a dick, but why did you go to the trouble of getting a degree in economic management if you want to become a welder? You could have taken classes at the county career center for that instead of spending 4 or more years and thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on a degree that you don't seem to have any intent of using.

I'd say get a job in your field, unless there aren't any out there, and weld in your spare time for fun.

Take a course @ Tolls Tech (or similar) and go from there?

KillJoy

Tolls Tech?

Not trying to be a dick, but why did you go to the trouble of getting a degree in economic management if you want to become a welder? You could have taken classes at the county career center for that instead of spending 4 or more years and thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on a degree that you don't seem to have any intent of using.

I'd say get a job in your field, unless there aren't any out there, and weld in your spare time for fun.

I don't want to be a welder, I just want to be able to weld. I went to OWU to play basketball and get a top tier education. I plan on being a business owner. Having the education I obtained and a few other skills will only help me be more successful in the future. I see what you're trying to say though.

based on the responses it seems like I need to put the MIG welder to use. I know I can google "how to use a MIG" welder and get a million sources, but does anyone have any good sources they've used first hand and know to be good?

Thanks for all your inputs guys

based on the responses it seems like I need to put the MIG welder to use. I know I can google "how to use a MIG" welder and get a million sources, but does anyone have any good sources they've used first hand and know to be good?

Thanks for all your inputs guys

Youtube has some great channels. Can't remember specific channels since it's been awhile. There are a couple good ones I utilized when I was in welding class. I also have an excellent welding book (I won't part with it but have no problems making copies.) I don't know how far you live from me - I'm off of Clime near SW Cbus - so I don't know how viable that is for you.

I'd practice with the MIG, too since that's what's currently available to you.