Just another RX-7 Built-Coltboostin Style

coltboostin

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would spray CO2 into the engine?? :gabe:

Seriously though, CO2 is cheap enough to spray on the intercooler to help.

I've had limited to poor results doing that-and Co2 is not cheap per use IMO. for example-I used a dual paint ball cartitge set up back in 01 to spray a stock DSM intercooler. I would get 5-6 1/4 mile passes at best with that. At $20 a fill per tank ( back in 01) I dont feel the results were worth it. I did nto see siginigcant drops in IAT-just better temps at the top end. say 80 at the line rise to 90 instread of rise to 120.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the ground and accumulating miles. It is super hairy on 255 street tires and I am not even getting into boost yet :eek: I likely will need to switch to a stock rear shock/spring to get some weight transfer back for track time.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20140917_095826_620.jpg

She has a significant coolant leak at the water pump to heater hose connection. Have anyone even converted that the a threaded barb?

How are those intake temps?

What's the purpose of this build?

Not bad-but it will be intercooled before its turned up.

Purpose? Set records/make babies cry for pocket change

First ever TT LSx FC (box checked)

Reset the LS1 stock block record

Reset the overall Stock LSx record

Overall Goals

9's@150+on true street radials (non bias ply's)

Run 200+ in the Texas mile

Not bad-but it will be intercooled before its turned up.

Purpose? Set records/make babies cry for pocket change

First ever TT LSx FC (box checked)

Reset the LS1 stock block record

Reset the overall Stock LSx record

Overall Goals

9's@150+on true street radials (non bias ply's)

Run 200+ in the Texas mile

#BAUCE

She has a significant coolant leak at the water pump to heater hose connection. Have anyone even converted that the a threaded barb?

looks awesome man.. I pulled out the matal hose connections at the pump and just tapped the aluminum and installed two pipe plugs when I used to run a mechanical pump. I was always afraid of rubber hose and worm clamps

looks awesome man.. I pulled out the matal hose connections at the pump and just tapped the aluminum and installed two pipe plugs when I used to run a mechanical pump. I was always afraid of rubber hose and worm clamps

I live on rubber hose and worm clamps. That’s not the issue (cant fit a "u hose as the Waste gate is there) I crimped and welded them, and its leaking at the fitting/water pump connection. I am looking for the taps when I get home. If not (or if no one local has them) I will reinstall with a generous helping of JP weld. It is a 7 year old water pump anyways, and will be replaced when I toss the cam I picked out of the trash in the car. :lolguy:

:

I live on rubber hose and worm clamps. That’s not the issue (cant fit a "u hose as the Waste gate is there) I crimped and welded them, and its leaking at the fitting/water pump connection. I am looking for the taps when I get home. If not (or if no one local has them) I will reinstall with a generous helping of JP weld. It is a 7 year old water pump anyways, and will be replaced when I toss the cam I picked out of the trash in the car. :lolguy:

:

Aaahhhhh Cleveland

So I removed the pass side manifold to work on the coolant leak. Tapped the Water pump, and somehow lost my tube of Hondabond. Figured "high tack gaskets sealant would do the trick. NOPE! Freaking thing still leaked! Went and bought more gasket maker and gooped it on. All is well again!

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20140925_012652_501.jpg

Took her for another drive and notice after some spirited turns a small of oil. Pull over to see what looks to be a trans leak. WTF? Get under it to discover that I forgot to address my lack of speed sensor issue! Oye. Made a block off plate for now.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20140925_012713_848.jpg

Had some time tonight to do some further tidying up-extended and consolidate some wires in the harness, adjusted the clutch, reinstalled as much interior bits as I could find (car came with a few boxes of random BS) and got the interior/exterior lights working. I may have a dead headlight motor, will have to deal with that later. Got the rear glass to open consistently-and a few other odds and ends on the list of things to do. The car actually seems mildly presentable at the moment-which makes me happy. I plan to drive the car to the office on Friday, and on a longish 30 mile trip afterwords. If all goes well-fuel, intercooling, and dyno time will be next on the list.

I had a goal; Drive it to the office 9/26. Goal achieved!!

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20140926_174303_950.jpg

The stuck caliper has seemed to unstick itself, and all coolant leaks are gone (for now). My "new" alternator took a dump on the way to a big meet in Mexico Saturday. Lucky one of the 300+people there had a spare off a 5.3 and lived close by. Swapped it in 20 minutes, and I was ready to go!

Clutch is not bad now that I am used to it. Its about time to commit to an intercooler and fuel, and turn this ol' girl up. Considering I am 10.5 to one, I am heavily considering e85, but that will inflate the cost of this super budget build. I am around $4100 as she sits today. Goal was to see 700+whp for $5k total investment, and then do what i need to do to go for the record. Its going to be close!

good stuff, I always have to set goals like that too or I end up finishing the project maybe 2 years late.....

I stock 8an / 10an line and a big selection of fittings. I can help you put together a system if you were to make a list. We have our new e85 320lph pumps being finished up in 2-3 weeks. So Im sure I can help you keep things on budget if you decide to do the fuel upgrades.

just curious.... what would a fuel pump/s running e85 setup to support 600-800 hp cost approx on a budget if that exist? I'm not looking to start diving into the fuel setup until early spring depending on my back half comes along, just curious to see what i am looking at ball park wise. pm if you feel that would be more appropriate Edited by 10phone2

just curious.... what would a fuel pump/s running e85 setup to support 600-800 hp cost approx on a budget if that exist? I'm not looking to start diving into the fuel setup until early spring depending on my back half comes along, just curious to see what i am looking at ball park wise. pm if you feel that would be more appropriate

Looks like I will be talking to Chad about that :)

Really, E85 is HARD on fuel systems-and I would never put E85 in a car unless its a new car, or it had a plastic tank or a new fuel lines/cell. When I had E85 in my old Rx-7 it killed multiple pumps in one summer just from rust clogging it up, even with a pre-filter. On Gas, used 80 lbs injectors and a used 340 lph will get you to 800whp-thats a $300ish dollar fuel system for 800whp. Cant beat it!

good stuff, I always have to set goals like that too or I end up finishing the project maybe 2 years late.....

I stock 8an / 10an line and a big selection of fittings. I can help you put together a system if you were to make a list. We have our new e85 320lph pumps being finished up in 2-3 weeks. So Im sure I can help you keep things on budget if you decide to do the fuel upgrades.

For sure! I'll shoot you an email/PM later today.

• 3 weeks later...

Intercooler is in. $200 of 1000+HP Ching Chang Cooling

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20141016_010153173.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20141016_010035865.jpg

Waiting on a 45 Deg 3 inch couplers for better fitment with my random radiator. (Hinson that came with the car is sold) and with the funds from the Hinson Radiator-it should cover the cost of the IC/Plumbing/used 80 lbs injectors. Free upgrades FTW :)

Wont have time till hopefully Sunday to try and put it all together.