2015 Mustang!!1!1

zeitgeist57

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the newest issue of Automotive Testing Technology International. Quotes are from chief engineer Dave Pericak.

"The first program for which we decided to look outside North America [for benchmarks] was the Boss 302; we wanted to beat the BMW M3 on the track," he adds. "When we did that, it was a signal that we were no longer looking backward, we were looking forward, and it was no different with this car."

He adds that one of the goals for the Performance Package version of the new V8 was to beat the Boss 302 on the track - which it does.

From the newest issue of Automotive Testing Technology International. Quotes are from chief engineer Dave Pericak.

Thats not really saying much considering a 4000 pound pig of a camaro with a few parts from the zl1 (1LE) beat a boss 302 laguna seca around VIR i think it was in car and drivers lightning lap.

If the gaining weight thing is true, ford better hope gm manages to royally fuck up, cause last i read, the new camaro is still supposed to be on the ats's chassis. If that holds true, we could see 33-3400 pound camaros running around (based on the fact that a decently well loaded ats with a 3.6 and auto trans weighed in at just over 3300 pounds)

• 2 weeks later...

Well from the dealers documentation that just came out looks like a small weight increase which would make sense with the IRS. Unfortunately it didn't do the "Smaller lighter faster" we were all hoping for but should still be good.

Performance specs are still withheld so hopefully the power bump is either coming with THIS year or next in the 5.0

Was going to post this, LESS than 100lbs weight gain across the board for all models isn't bad at all...

Was just looking at the configurator and you can get a pretty sweet setup for a resonable price really.

http://bp3.ford.com/2015-Ford-Mustang

Mustang GT > 6-speed > Performance Pack > Recaro's = MSRP $37,015 (Invoice around $35k or less) :fuckyeah:

Even fully loaded GT MSRP $44k and invoice will be around $40k isn't really that bad considering car prices these days...

GT ECOboost Premium with track goodies is $35k...

i saw one at PRI last year and i have to say it is freaking gorgeous, like they fixed all the piddly shit that made the last one just a little 'blah'. it has real character, and to me, really does a good job of combining modern and retro, admittedly being much heavier on the modern than teh retro. also i LOVE the rear. the fastback is akin to the first gen mustangs, and the c pillars come down very similarly to how they did on the early 240Zs, which, i may be biased, but is damn near automotive rear haunch design perfection in my book.

also, as BUSA pointed out, prices are fairly fantastic, especially when we consider the competition

"The first program for which we decided to look outside North America [for benchmarks] was the Boss 302; we wanted to beat the BMW M3 on the track," he adds. "When we did that, it was a signal that we were no longer looking backward, we were looking forward, and it was no different with this car."

He adds that one of the goals for the Performance Package version of the new V8 was to beat the Boss 302 on the track - which it does

this. given where the 2011 live axle mustang was vs the M3 (video below), i honestly believe the 2015 is going to take the world by storm. although this news that the expected weight loss is actually going to be something of a GAIN is taking a bit of the wind out of my sails

The future of everything automotive. The little black boxes we have been used to in plains trains and boats now keeping track of all your dirty little misdeeds. Many commercial cars/trucks/vans have been doing this for years. Keeping track of speed, throttle and braking %s, seat belts, etc..

Am I disappointed to see all these new "Safey Measures" installed on the new mustang? Absolutely. Do I appreciate the march of technology that's allowing us better and better cars, Absolutely. Will I allow this and a few other annoying issues with the car to keep one out of my garage? Absolutely not.

The future of everything automotive. The little black boxes we have been used to in plains trains and boats now keeping track of all your dirty little misdeeds. Many commercial cars/trucks/vans have been doing this for years. Keeping track of speed, throttle and braking %s, seat belts, etc..

Am I disappointed to see all these new "Safey Measures" installed on the new mustang? Absolutely. Do I appreciate the march of technology that's allowing us better and better cars, Absolutely. Will I allow this and a few other annoying issues with the car to keep one out of my garage? Absolutely not.

"How you crashed" sounds a little sensationalist. It just says where the impact was, not that you cut off another car and ran into a schoolbus full of children.

They won't give you the camera led play by play but with the amount of things electronically controlled now is incredible. Steering angle, brake / throttle pressure, (GPS) in some cases, driving habits, etc...all those things can go together to help paint the picture.

"Well sir we see from your driving profile saved in the 'Black Box' that you typically drive like a WOT asshole, brake too hard and have a history of hard fast stops.."

Black boxes don't have the amount of memory available to store a large number of events, so they trigger on the catastrophic ones. And it's probably less about snitching on you as it is about covering the manufacturer in litigation. For instance, some ass hat wrecks and sues the manufacturer for his injury, but the black box data shows he wasn't wearing his seat belt.

It also has the added benefit of protecting the consumer, take the current GM ignition switch debacle.

Black boxes don't have the amount of memory available to store a large number of events, so they trigger on the catastrophic ones. And it's probably less about snitching on you as it is about covering the manufacturer in litigation. For instance, some ass hat wrecks and sues the manufacturer for his injury, but the black box data shows he wasn't wearing his seat belt.

It also has the added benefit of protecting the consumer, take the current GM ignition switch debacle.

Any idea how much of this tech they're taking from the heavy truck industry? Having been in the field 10 years now their systems have vastly more capacity and capability to track every sensor on the trucks and now a lot of them are using dash mounted camera systems for lane keeping/following etc. I had to field a few calls to safety for following too close or having to jamb on the brakes hard or the roll/yaw sensors exceeding safety thresholds. Only a matter of time before the boxes in our cars have the same capacity.

Any idea how much of this tech they're taking from the heavy truck industry? Having been in the field 10 years now their systems have vastly more capacity and capability to track every sensor on the trucks and now a lot of them are using dash mounted camera systems for lane keeping/following etc. I had to field a few calls to safety for following too close or having to jamb on the brakes hard or the roll/yaw sensors exceeding safety thresholds. Only a matter of time before the boxes in our cars have the same capacity.

I would put the heavy truck industry about on - par with those little OBD2 port monitors insurance companies will give you to monitor your driving (like Progressive). The one exception being that the trucks will record video of the event. But again, this is mostly due to liability on the fleet operator's part and there's little incentive for a vehicle OEM to offer this yet. Although dash cams seem more and more like a great idea to me.

The most strict laws I have seen for event recording are in the California Automated Vehicles legislation.

I put see this Ford announcement as more of a knowledge transfer from racing. For years the cars have had a black box that records the force of impact and can display this to responding personnel (usually by blinking an LED). In this case, it may give 911 operators a better idea of what recuse personnel to deply.

Yeah, the dash cams actually can help a driver be able to legally defend himself from morons, they also catch them screwing up as well so very much a double edged sword.

I can tell you C.R. England trucks are ALL equipped with dash cam systems and is tied to the satellite system and in an accident it records every ounce of relevant data when an event happens, guess I don't blame them in some ways as it protects them.

The new Vettes have that dash cam option for recording track runs and such, can't help but wonder if that could be used somehow in a crash situation or at least activated remotely?

Black boxes don't have the amount of memory available to store a large number of events, so they trigger on the catastrophic ones..

This I don't see as much of a limiting factor. Digital storage has grown by leaps and bounds so it's cheap, small, light weight, and easy to come by. There's no reason what so ever that you can't have a huge digital storage medium in the box that does nothing but capture numerical data. Without having to record video the sheer size of database(s) this could be is incredible.

You also can easily have in place a profiling system similar to a "Tune" that modified cars have however instead of us changing fuel maps and timing it's changing the data is has based on YOUR driving habits. Not saying it's happening but not much of a stretch to imagine. Similar to the Progressive system when they notice you drive hard, brake late, commute long distances, or late at night you become a "higher risk" driver.

On the FLIP side of this, maybe the car learning my style will be a good thing and it can tailor itself to how 'I' perform. Highly doubt that sort of tech has trickled down to Mustangs .... yet