College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tressel has stated the Browns haven't contacted him. He still has years remaining on his show clause as well. I think that is just wishful thinking by many browns fans/reporters honestly. I am really not sure how well JT's style would transition to the NFL.

it wouldn't, clock management isn't for the current style NFL

I have always heard rumblings about Johnson being racist against whites. Not sure how true that is, but it's been floating around the forums for many years now.

That's what I was referencing with his being a real asshole with negative recruiting. I wouldn't say he's racist against whites, he just likes to tell young, black kids he's recruiting that the old, white people at OSU don't care about them. Which is funny since he was doing that under Paterno who was the oldest white dude around.

But Paterno did try to compare his Italian heritage to black people coming across on slave ships one time so maybe that worked better than we thought.

I think that is just wishful thinking by many browns fans/reporters honestly.

This. Love Tressel, but no pro team in their right mind would hire him to be a pro coach. He's too nice, and the game has evolved to a spread offense which he cannot run. I'd much rather he stay at Akron and be the best possible mentor he can be for kids.

This. Love Tressel, but no pro team in their right mind would hire him to be a pro coach. He's too nice, and the game has evolved to a spread offense which he cannot run. I'd much rather he stay at Akron and be the best possible mentor he can be for kids.

I agree with everything but this part, he seemed to run a "spread" style offense just fine when Pryor was here. He played for the victory rather than the style points. I think that is what drove most people crazy. Had he won against Texas in 05 or USC in 08 and 09, I don't think you'd hear people talking about him playing conservative as much as you do. If you look at the years where he had the playmakers, he put up points.

With that said, I honestly see Tress coaching ever again.

lol... I said the Larry Johnson stuff as a joke in here and now it's really happening. Oh boy...

Lots of talk earlier today that DJ Durkin from Florida could come in and take the keys from Luke (Luke would retain co-DC title) but people said Johnson AND Durkin was pretty much impossible. So maybe Johnson gets co-DC with Luke now and they bring in Vance Joseph to coach safeties.

lol... I said the Larry Johnson stuff as a joke in here and now it's really happening. Oh boy...

Lots of talk earlier today that DJ Durkin from Florida could come in and take the keys from Luke (Luke would retain co-DC title) but people said Johnson AND Durkin was pretty much impossible. So maybe Johnson gets co-DC with Luke now and they bring in Vance Joseph to coach safeties.

Elaborate, please? I'm only reading about this stuff here, so if there have been developments, I have not heard about them.

According to several sources (most notably SI's Pete Thamel) Johnson is close to finalizing a deal with OSU. Will coach DL (as that's all he's done for ~15 years at PSU) and I'd have to imagine he gets some kind of co-DC title.

The Durkin stuff seemed more solid yesterday afternoon/evening and the Johnson stuff was seen as VERY preliminary. Then the Johnson stuff just took off.

Apparently he's pretty upset with PSU and how he wasn't considered at all for the HC job and how he wasn't going to be the DC under Franklin so he wants to stay in the area/league and recruit against them now...lol.

But yeah, Johnson is a DL coach and Durkin is a DL/LB guy so Durkin doesn't look likely anymore and they need a DB coach so the speculation goes back to former Texans' DB coach Vance Joseph.

Really, all three (Durkin, Johnson, Joseph) seem like great choices. I would have liked to see Durkin come in and take over the defense with Luke keeping a co-DC title but Durkin being in charge. But since Durkin is just LB/DL that's just not going to happen once this Johnson thing becomes official.

At this point, if Johnson is in, it looks like OSU just needs another secondary coach, with Joseph being the only name that's been thrown around with any consistency.

On another note, the Maryland attorney general just filed a $157m counter-suit against the ACC alleging that ACC leadership tried to lure unnamed B1G schools to the ACC under the advisement of ESPN. That whole thing is turning into quite a clusterfuck.

Yowza. Lol. The end is nigh, gents.

I'm not one of those who think that Fickell is responsible solely for last years defensive debacle, but his "handcuff" to Vrabel was a big part of me wanting him to stay. With Vrabel gone...well, that draw isn't as big as it was.

Really, all three (Durkin, Johnson, Joseph) seem like great choices. I would have liked to see Durkin come in and take over the defense with Luke keeping a co-DC title but Durkin being in charge. But since Durkin is just LB/DL that's just not going to happen once this Johnson thing becomes official.

I don't know about Johnson, but Durkin would have been great. I hope Durkin comes out on top.

Edit: Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Ugh, wtf? We hired a dude from a team that got it's ass handed to it all season long in the SEC? This is not what I was hoping to hear.

Arkansas was a mess this year, no doubt. But he was Wisconsin's DC when they went to 3 straight Rose Bowls.

Here's his bio from the Arkansas site...

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205823880

I like it personally. Had really high ranking defenses at Wisconsin with less talent than OSU. Now it's just a matter of finding out who's going to actually call the defense, Ash or Fickell? Been Fickell the last 2 years.

I would have liked Durkin more but his specialty (LB/DL) wasn't what OSU needed.

Arkansas was a mess this year, no doubt. But he was Wisconsin's DC when they went to 3 straight Rose Bowls.

Here's his bio from the Arkansas site...

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205823880

I like it personally. Had really high ranking defenses at Wisconsin with less talent than OSU. Now it's just a matter of finding out who's going to actually call the defense, Ash or Fickell? Been Fickell the last 2 years.

If it was fickell that was calling the defense for the past 2 years, then I hope he never calls the defense again. Ohio State had a top 10 defense every year when under heacock. As soon as fickle took over, the defense went to shit.

Here are Bill Greene's thoughts on the hire. He's a king of hyperbole but he does nail it sometimes...

1- He is the ABSOLUTE BEST defensive mind in the country. Not close to the best. THE BEST.

2- He will absolutely improve Ohio State on defense INSTANTLY. Today.

3- He is a great recruiter and one of the hardest working guys in the profession.

4- This is a home run in the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded to win the World Series.

If any of that is close to true, he HAS to be in charge of the defense. Fickell keeps his salary and his co-DC title, Ash in charge right away. He was the sole DC at Wiscy and Arky... I don't think he'd come to OSU to work under Fickell...

Just saw Ross Fulton shares the same opinion as me... no way he makes a lateral move without having the playcalling ability. I am officially excite.

Another note on Ash, he was the DC for Wisconsin in 2012 when they held OSU's offense to 7 points in regulation. OSU averaged 34.8ppg and 423.8ypg in 2012 but his defense held OSU to 211 yards and 14 points in regulation (7 of those points came from a Philly Brown punt return TD). Braxton had 23 carries for 48 yards.

Well, the last few posts have given me hope, for sure. Hope he got a SICK pay raise. Seems odd that he would leave the same position at Ark...Maybe he, like the rest of the planet, has figured out that Brett Bilema is Fail/AIDS personified. (Seriously, fuck that stupid looking mofo.)

I think that you would HAVE to be a hard ass worker to work under Meyer. Everyone knows that guy is like a machine during the season.

Arkansas was awful, but in the one year he came in, they jumped like 40 something spots in pass defense in the country, with a complete lack of talent, against a very strong SEC West. THAT should tell you more than Arkansas' overall defensive stats. His ability to improve players that aren't even his speaks marvels. Ash is a great hire, Johnson is a great hire. Our defense might be getting back up to speed, boys. Shame it'll probably take a couple years, but next year is a rebuilding year anyway I think. We're setting up to be a VERY strong contender for the 2015-2017 seasons.