Any woodworkers on here? (advice on Miter Saw)

bmwohio

Looking at 3 different saws for Home use. I borrowed a friends saw for framing in a basement, but the drywall is done now and looking to buy a saw for all the trim work and then as a general saw for around the house, etc.

I'm leaning towards the Dewalt, but wondering if anyone owns one of these or has any feedback? Thanks!

Kobalt 10" Sliding

http://www.lowes.com/pd_358938-46069-SM2507LW_4294707849__?productId=3512785&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Or

Dewalt 10" Non-sliding

http://www.lowes.com/pd_280130-70-DW713_4294707849__?productId=1079857&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

3rd place was the Hitachi 10" for $109, but I'm leaning towards the Dewalt......

Hitachi --> http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=116704-67702-C10FCE2&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1005467&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Any thoughts on these?

THANKS!

OK, honestly, if you are just using it for your house, go with the cheapest that meets your needs. The dewalts are pricey. I had a Hitachi (stolen), but it was the 12" sliding compound miter, no complaints. I now have a 12"craftsman that I'm happy with.

Main thing is making sure it will cut through the largest material you require.

I installed all new pre hung 6 panel solid doors in my house recently and replaced all the door casings and base moldings with an old dewalt. All you really need is a bare bones saw that will cut a nice 45 with a quality blade. The Kobalt has the laser and it is a slider combo.

Yea, but i've been reading reviews on all these saws, and the there have been plenty of bad reviews for the Kobalt and Hitachi, but I couldn't fine one on the Dewalt.........It's a $100 difference, just seeing if anyone has experience with them.....

I do a lot of woodworking and I don't have a brand favorite but I strongly suggest a sliding model. I have a non sliding model and it's a pain for any wood wider than 9 inches

For a DIY guy, how often do you cut larger than 9", and why can't you just use circ saw then?

Yea, but i've been reading reviews on all these saws, and the there have been plenty of bad reviews for the Kobalt and Hitachi, but I couldn't fine one on the Dewalt.........It's a $100 difference, just seeing if anyone has experience with them.....

I would bet that a partial explanation for this is that most of the homeowners aren't spending the money on dewalt, and the contractors aren't logging on to leave reviews.

Dewalt makes good tools, but they are the same tools as porter cable who happens to be owned by black and decker.... who knows.

I'm going to be honest, I purchased a Chicago Electric 10inch sliding miter saw for 89 scooby snacks and it's been great. I've cut quite a bit of wood with it and it's taken a beating and has never missed a beat. I also have a Kobalt 10 inch non sliding and that has worked very well as well which I paid a lot more for. I would go with one of these 2.

I do a lot of wood working and I bought a dewalt 12" non sliding. The miter and bevel cuts have been spot on. If I have to cut wider than that, that's when the circular saw or band saw is used.

+1

The sliding miter saws are dangerous. Ask me how I know

I just picked up a 10" Craftsman Sliding saw with the laser trak on it for $169.99 on Black Friday.

I've had this model for 3 years and it's been fine. I'm sure there are much better saws but it's not my living and didn't care to spend more. I have framed a basement, built a deck with complex angles, and used it for base board, door, and window trim. It has performed great in all of those tasks.

Make sure whatever model you get, if it is a slider get a VERY GOOD stand. Sliders need a good stand or they will fall over. I spent $150 on my stand and feel I should have bought a better one. I wouldn't say its unsafe, just not as stable as I would like.

Pictures or I call bullshit :gabe:

Headed to Disney. All the pics are at home on my desktop. Picture missing/mangled fingers and thumbs. Tablesaws, and sliding miter/radial saws. Too many degrees of freedom with the sliding miter saws. And it's always an experienced user. Complacency

Well, I stopped at Home Depot on my lunch and they have the 12" Dewalt on sale for $179 right now! So I picked it up.

Curious why the 12" would be so much less that the 10"???

Am I missing something, or just found a really good deal?

All the features are the same between the two, except bigger blade and bigger cross-cuts and fence cuts.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-12-in-Heavy-Duty-Single-Bevel-Compound-Miter-Saw-DW715/100384715?N=c2d7#.UqixgPRDvyQ

It's because it doesn't slide.

You can get any 12" saw (almost) cheaper than a 10" sliding saw.

My point being that the Dewalt 10" non-sliding is $219 and the 12" non-sliding is $179 right now.......The 12" non-sliding still does a 8" cross cut and 6 1/4 crown molding against the fence