Places to get used cars "looked over"

Putty

Going to buy a beater off Craigs. My daily commute has increased and it's needed. Thing is, I know people unload junk on Craigs and you're basically stuck once you walk away. Are there places that can look a car over, mechanically, to see if you are walking into a trap?

Your "go to" shop shouldn't have much of an issue going over a vehicle for you provided you can bring it to them. If you have one, give your mechanic a ring.

Don't have such a shop. I have never had the need for one.

The process is affectionately called "Pre Purchase Inspection" or PPI. It's usually performed by a dealer of the marque but I suppose it can be done by almost any car repair place. If the vehicle is a BMW or a Honda/Acura, I have some suggestions, otherwise I have only one place that comes to mind.

Hit up Dozzers Garage on here. Or at the least any shop if desperate for work at this time of year. Take it to a shop at worst pay for a 17.99 oil change special and tell them to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and provide an estimate for everything. If its a car you are about to give 3-5k for or whatever its worth the 20 dollar piece of mind to see it up on a rack and given a look.

So you work on your own stuff? Why do you need some one to look over a potential beater for you then :)

No, I usually only buy new cars that never need work. Then I trade to something new before they ever give me trouble. Now I am sick of a car payment, I paid my truck off and don't want to get another more fuel efficient car.

The process is affectionately called "Pre Purchase Inspection" or PPI. It's usually performed by a dealer of the marque but I suppose it can be done by almost any car repair place. If the vehicle is a BMW or a Honda/Acura, I have some suggestions, otherwise I have only one place that comes to mind.

Hit up Dozzers Garage on here. Or at the least any shop if desperate for work at this time of year. Take it to a shop at worst pay for a 17.99 oil change special and tell them to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and provide an estimate for everything. If its a car you are about to give 3-5k for or whatever its worth the 20 dollar piece of mind to see it up on a rack and given a look.

Thanks!! I guess if the seller refuses to let me have this done, that's a red flag. It is costing me over 3k.

Any repair shop will do a visual inspection for around $60. If you want a more thorough engine compression test I am sure they can do that. NTB, firestone, and buckeye muffler for sure will do it. I'm sure a few CR sponsors on here will :)

Going to buy a beater off Craigs. My daily commute has increased and it's needed. Thing is, I know people unload junk on Craigs and you're basically stuck once you walk away. Are there places that can look a car over, mechanically, to see if you are walking into a trap?

IPS will do a complete used car inspection for you. Call 740-657-3278 and ask for Rick. CR Discount will apply.

-Marc

Although they definitely aren't a shop "desperate for work," Northend Wrench is expert in doing a meticulous inspection. PM Sean (Crossle on CR) for details. They don't have a discount rate, but the little extra you may spend with them will likely save you big down the line. Imports, German especially, are their forte.

I take them my cars before any interstate rally.

Any shop should be happy to do a full inspection. I've done a few at just about every place I've ever worked. If you don't have a regular mechanic now might be a good time to find one. A dealership wouldn't be bad because at least the tech should regularly be looking at similar cars, but expect to pay around $100. Most places are going to be about an hour labor, and should be driving the car, pulling wheels, and doing a thorough inspection.

fyi we dont charge for these inspections at my tire discounters.. 614-729-6027

Boy I bet your technicians love that, look at something for free that has little chance of earning them a paid job because if they find a lot wrong with it the buyer won't even buy it.

I don't want to argue about why techs get paid the way they do, but if I'm not getting paid any labor you aren't getting a a very in depth look. The vast majority of techs get paid per job and if they get paid hourly they don't set their sights very high. I make more then twice what the average hourly tech makes because I turn a lot of hours and do a quality job, I am motivated.

I guess my point here is that you get what you pay for. You know if you walk in and know Derek he is going to take care of you, and sure going somewhere and paying doesn't garantee anything because there are still lazy ass people out there, but going somewhere free isn't normally the best thing to do.

My inspection routine:

1) Take car onto freeway at 70mph and jam on the brakes. Repeat five times. Any brake fade and the deal is off

2) Get car up to 70 mph and take hands off steering wheel for 1/4 mile on a straight section of road. If the car goes off the road and smashes into something, obviously, the deal is off

3) With the car in park put the gas pedal to the floor for five seconds. If the motor blows, the deal is off.

My inspection routine:

1) Take car onto freeway at 70mph and jam on the brakes. Repeat five times. Any brake fade and the deal is off

2) Get car up to 70 mph and take hands off steering wheel for 1/4 mile on a straight section of road. If the car goes off the road and smashes into something, obviously, the deal is off

3) With the car in park put the gas pedal to the floor for five seconds. If the motor blows, the deal is off.

Is there a particular costume you wear for this routine? :gabe:

Is there a particular costume you wear for this routine? :gabe:

Usually dress as the hamburglar for situations like this. :fuckyeah:

Funny thing, I'm at a conference in Orlando with the family as we speak. Kids get makeovers tomorrow at the magic kingdom and I have a 'business' dinner later that night. I'm going to dinner with some product design people from an orthopedic implant company. Trying to decide what type of pirate I want to get 'made over' as, when my boy and I go to the park.