Workout/weight lifting thread

cstmg8

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story Time...I'm making a change for 2014 too. Need to get back to better habits and healthier life.

All my childhood life I was heavy. Start of my senior year in HS I was 285-ish. Lost nearly 110 my senior year and graduated under 180. Did it all wrong, starved and did TONS of cardio and ephedrine and basically never stepped in a gym.

Off to college I go and I actually found the gym, enjoyed it quite a bit. Managed to transform myself to carrying a decent amount of mass and staying right around that 180-185 mark but I looked and felt much better.

Outside of college desk job and real world take their toll. For the first 13 year or so I manage to find a happy medium. I manage to put on about 1lb per year though...steadily being less and less disciplined with diet and exercise.

Don't know what on earth happened in 2013 though...TRAIN WRECK!. This time last year I was 195. When I finally said enough is enough back at the end of December I was 228. over 30 lbs in one year. Worst part is I didn't feel like my lifestyle had really changed that much. However there was stress from selling the house, changing jobs, etc. Guess all that adds up along with more and more unhealthy habits.

Started Kris Gethin's program from BodyBuilding.com. Today is day 26. It's nothing new and revolutionary for me but it's something to follow to keep me disciplined and on a determined path. Diet is the hardest for me but it's nice to throw some change into the routine as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

I'm 5'8 and this morning I was 219, down from a starting weight of 228 My goal by July is to be back around that 185 mark without loosing much mass. I'm not really very strong by most of your standards so hopefully I don't loose too much in the process.

Awesome man, sounds like you have a good base, so I'm sure you'll see good results if you stick with it! Life always got in the way for me too, that's why I started working out in the early morning, no excuse besides my lazy ass laying in bed.

Story Time...I'm making a change for 2014 too. Need to get back to better habits and healthier life.

All my childhood life I was heavy. Start of my senior year in HS I was 285-ish. Lost nearly 110 my senior year and graduated under 180. Did it all wrong, starved and did TONS of cardio and ephedrine and basically never stepped in a gym.

Off to college I go and I actually found the gym, enjoyed it quite a bit. Managed to transform myself to carrying a decent amount of mass and staying right around that 180-185 mark but I looked and felt much better.

Outside of college desk job and real world take their toll. For the first 13 year or so I manage to find a happy medium. I manage to put on about 1lb per year though...steadily being less and less disciplined with diet and exercise.

Don't know what on earth happened in 2013 though...TRAIN WRECK!. This time last year I was 195. When I finally said enough is enough back at the end of December I was 228. over 30 lbs in one year. Worst part is I didn't feel like my lifestyle had really changed that much. However there was stress from selling the house, changing jobs, etc. Guess all that adds up along with more and more unhealthy habits.

Started Kris Gethin's program from BodyBuilding.com. Today is day 26. It's nothing new and revolutionary for me but it's something to follow to keep me disciplined and on a determined path. Diet is the hardest for me but it's nice to throw some change into the routine as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

I'm 5'8 and this morning I was 219, down from a starting weight of 228 My goal by July is to be back around that 185 mark without loosing much mass. I'm not really very strong by most of your standards so hopefully I don't loose too much in the process.

Holy cow. I would have never realized you ever weighed that much.

Work out with Gaslin at NW

How much do you weigh at 5'8?

Interesting, I haven't tried dunking since I started lifting heavy a year ago. I could just dunk in highschool at 6 ft , but that was a skinny 50 lbs ago.

there I weighed 187.

my vertical has never decreased due to increased bodyweight as my strength goes up.

when I was 17 weighing 145 I could do a run jump and jump on platforms or boxes my shoulder height, now being 35 and weighing 190ish I can do the same.

Watch out guys....went with a plate on hammer flat and incline bench yesterday....haha. I really did, but it's due to coming back from this damn bicep tendon crap. Felt good to be in there though. Amazing how good it feels to get the blood back into the muscles. Time to lose some of the extra lbs around the midsection too. Hoping to be at full strength by late spring.

there I weighed 187.

my vertical has never decreased due to increased bodyweight as my strength goes up.

when I was 17 weighing 145 I could do a run jump and jump on platforms or boxes my shoulder height, now being 35 and weighing 190ish I can do the same.

Some serious hops man! That's impressive, especially at 35. Amazes me that most people at 35 have given in to "being too old to be athletic".

Watch out guys....went with a plate on hammer flat and incline bench yesterday....haha. I really did, but it's due to coming back from this damn bicep tendon crap. Felt good to be in there though. Amazing how good it feels to get the blood back into the muscles. Time to lose some of the extra lbs around the midsection too. Hoping to be at full strength by late spring.

Heavy is relative, important part is getting in there and making progress . Working through injuries is the worst, I always tried to come back too soon.

Heavy is relative, important part is getting in there and making progress . Working through injuries is the worst, I always tried to come back too soon.

I've had a "few" knee issues over the years and those weren't as bad since I could still manage to do other things. Stupid arm keeps me from doing a lot of things. This one has been rough.

• 2 weeks later...

216.6 this morning. Weight still coming off but slowly the last couple of weeks. Workout intensity continue to stay high, lots of legs which were an area I didn't give enough attention in the past.

Measurements change every week for the better so no complaints. Ultimately for the lap times to see any improvement at the track I still want to be 185 in the end.

Started working with the personal trainer at Metro Fitness. I'm lifting for the first time in my entire life and I am learning a lot.

Which Metro? I go to Pickerington/Hilliard regularly (5 days a week Pickerington, cardio on the weekends in Hilliard)

Anyone on here that would be willing to work with me to figure out a good routine/schedule? I've been getting pretty serious with fitness over the past 4 months. I started off the first month kind of lazy but over the last 3 months I've been seeing pretty good results.

I started out at 274.4 which is the heaviest I've ever been and I'm now sitting at 243.2. I've been doing a lot of cardio. Five days a week, two times a day and I try to keep my calorie intake between 1200 and 1600/day (mainly lean meats, low carbs, cut out all the sugary crap food, etc)

I seem to be having a pretty hard time coming up with an efficient weight training routine, a good part of that is because I don't really know where to start.