Do you run winter tires?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you run winter tires?

• Yes
    • No

Can a Mod set up a poll?

Do you run winter tires?

If not, why?

Don't care, they don't make that big a difference.

Cost too much.

Ohio doesn't get the weather/ I don't drive in areas that justify it.

I have AWD and don't need snowtires

If people do run winter tires, please reply with make and how you like them.

I run General Articmax on 2 cars and have run them for 4 years on other cars. I love them. Never been stuck. I have a set being put on the wifes Subaru today. I have run Firestone Winterforce in the past and they were very good. I think they jumped in price and that had me look into the Generals.

Edited by Mojoe
Firestone edit

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 10th or 11th season on the same set of Michelin X-Ice on a FWD car. Used as intended, I don't think you can beat them. I drove from Delaware to Circleville today on them at 4:00 a.m. without the slightest problem despite sections being ice-covered with snow blowing across.

I've driven from Portsmouth Ohio to Delaware Ohio in a level 3 snow emergency with them with no issues (have permit to allow me to drive in level 3 conditions).

They've made improvements in the tires since I purchased this set and I'll probably replace them next year with X-Ice 3 tires despite there being plenty of tread left on them.

I bought a truck for winter use so I don't have to drive my fun car in the weather.

With that said, I do have a set of blizzaks for the bimmer and when I did use them (for 2 winters) they were perfect. I drove through 17in of snow with them and had zero issues. Turned my traction control off so it wouldn't bog down and hit the gas. I had a great time :).

-Marc

Voted how I am running this winter: NO

I did with my GTI the last 2.5 winters. Halfway through last winter, I got the R, which with its A/S was better in the snow than the GTI with winters.

I'll probably keep these as winters until they need replaced, and migrate back to the winter tire crowd.

Yeah, dropped a wheel size for a little extra sidewall, too.

205/50R17 Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT have been fantastic and they were very inexpensive for winter tires. I have 4k miles on them, the fronts are at 11.5/32, rears at 12/32 (they shipped with 12/32). They were great in VT ice/snow, and plowed up my parent's steep driveway that had about 3-4" of untouched powder with no problem.