Winter tires poll

Mojoe

Do you run winter tires?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you run winter tires?

• Yes
    • No

I'm actually a little surprised, I did not think this many people would reply with running snow tires. It's very hard not to be insulting to those who don't run them. For those who do run winters, more than likely, we have been in a situation to need them and value that ability. We got a new Subaru last month for my wife, I have felt guilty it took this long to get the snow tires ordered and mounted. For me, us, it's not an option to go without them. That's from growing up in Vermont and having the desire to never be limited in travel by the weather, for emergency or day to day. So with conviction like that, I have to fight the urge to argue and say someone is dumb for not having them. "What if your family, loved one....."? It's not relevant if you haven't seen the difference they make and how much safer and able they are for winter driving. And I have to say I get that. I just hope you never are in a situation where they would have made the difference.

As for asking what tire those that have winters are running, that's dual purpose. I want people here to have a reference for getting winter tires based on what they read in this thread. I also wanted to see if the brands we are running, are what I have known of. For the most part, they have been. Names like Cooper and Nokian Hakapelita's weren't mentioned. They are very good tires as well.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Stock everything, just snow tires. I'm think I see where you might be going with "upgrade them too". And that goes to, I've not seen the need with pads that are already new.

It's not relevant if you haven't seen the difference they make and how much safer and able they are for driving. And I have to say I get that. I just hope you never are in a situation where they would have made the difference.

I have AWD and snow tires for the winter, I drive an 80 mile commute to work on some roads that drift over pretty well. Urbana got hit with snow pretty good while it missed columbus. My snow tires do noticeably better than the all seasons I run in the summer. I am able to do the speed limit in snow that is under 8" since my car doesnt have to much ground clearance.

I have AWD and snow tires for the winter, I drive an 80 mile commute to work on some roads that drift over pretty well. Urbana got hit with snow pretty good while it missed columbus. My snow tires do noticeably better than the all seasons I run in the summer. I am able to do the speed limit in snow that is under 8" since my car doesnt have to much ground clearance.

Not trolling here, genuine question: do winter tires improve stopping ability at all?

For instance, when I'm in the 4x4 and see other vehicles fly by at freeway speeds (or speed limit in town) in harsh weather I think, "hitting your brakes on ice/slick pavement isn't biased. AWD/4x4 doesn't matter." Same applies with winter tires I would assume.

Not trolling here, genuine question: do winter tires improve stopping ability at all?

For instance, when I'm in the 4x4 and see other vehicles fly by at freeway speeds (or speed limit in town) in harsh weather I think, "hitting your brakes on ice/slick pavement isn't biased. AWD/4x4 doesn't matter." Same applies with winter tires I would assume.

Yes they absolutely improving stopping. Doesn't mean one can fly down the road though. I can say in city traffic and normal driving though the difference is noticeable.

Yes. Winter tires improve braking performance in the Winter. I remember seeing a test that Tire Rack did where they compared the performance of all-season tires to that of Winter tires.

Here's a video: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=103

Edited by dsm_sleeper
added video

Not trolling here, genuine question: do winter tires improve stopping ability at all

Yes, it can, but like usual you are limited by the surface. Can a car on snows stop faster on snow and ice faster than a on all seasons? Yes. But is it enough to warrant over driving the conditions? No, and definitely not on ice.

Most of the time a properly equipped car will be limited by the traffic around it, not by the conditions. At least that's what I found driving in MI. Once traffic clears I have had no problems driving the speed limit in some pretty well snow covered roads.

I ran Dunlop Wintersports on my old Mazda and I run General Artimaxs on the ST. I would rather spend the extra money on a set of winter wheels and tires for the security and stability they offer than risk having an accident. Plus driving 40+ miles a day on roads that never get plowed, they have really paid off.

It's not relevant if you haven't seen the difference they make and how much safer and able they are for driving. And I have to say I get that. I just hope you never are in a situation where they would have made the difference.

And that's where I knew you were going.

Frankly, that brakes in the new Subaru are damn scarey. I've been suorised by the grab they have a few times. I'd say maybe better stopping than the RX7, with it's upgraded pads and everything, short of a big brake kit.

This has been posted in another section, but I thought it was fitting here, so repost. What it doesn't address is the different AWD systems and how winter tires do, or do not make a difference. It does display a good example of front wheel drive with snow tires Vs AWD without snow tires.

And that's where I knew you were going.

Frankly, that brakes in the new Subaru are damn scarey. I've been suorised by the grab they have a few times. I'd say maybe better stopping than the RX7, with it's upgraded pads and everything, short of a big brake kit.

My point is, how is your evaluation of brake performance/security better than someones evaluation of all season tire performance/security?

Can't use the same argument you are bashing, to support a similar question...

Also, initial bite=/=stopping distance.

My point is, how is your evaluation of brake performance/security better than someones evaluation of all season tire performance/security?

Can't use the same argument you are bashing, to support a similar question...

Also, initial bite=/=stopping distance.

I would hope it would be from being a driving istructor for every military truck over the last 8 years! Coupled with driving in some pretty shitty conditions world wide. Followed by driving course's at Mid Ohio and Beaver run.

I would hope I have an idea of how to maintain a stable vehical.

Short of not drivng, or not going a certain route, you don't have much contol of the surface you are on. So, being best prepared for it to be bad, just makes since to me. Surface/ terrain dictates stopping ablility. From there, proper equipment and the maintance of it are all you can do to better your situation.

I would hope it would be from being a driving istructor for every military truck over the last 8 years! Coupled with driving in some pretty shitty conditions world wide. Followed by driving course's at Mid Ohio and Beaver run.

I would hope I have an idea of how to maintain a stable vehical.

Short of not drivng, or not going a certain route, you don't have much contol of the surface you are on. So, being best prepared for it to be bad, just makes since to me. Surface/ terrain dictates stopping ablility. From there, proper equipment and the maintance of it are all you can do to better your situation.

The fact that you aren't even acknowledging the similarities between snow tires and brake pads is shocking.

Snow tires are optimal, yes. Necessary to pilot a vehicle safely in snow? No. Upgraded brakes are optimal, yes. Necessary to pilot a vehicle safely? No.

I haven't been in an accident that was caused by having A/S tires in my driving career.

Also, do you know the credentials of all of those that use A/S tires in this thread?

I am running Hankook Icebear W310 on the TSX. They are good snow tires, no complains at all. Before I ran a set of Blizzak WS-60s on my old wrx and they were probably the best snow tires I ever had. The IS250 is on a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. I really can't compair them to the Icebears since the IS250 is AWD, but it isn't as good as the Blizzak WS-60s in the snow. But that is expected for a performance snow tire.

The fact that you aren't even acknowledging the similarities between snow tires and brake pads is shocking.

Snow tires are optimal, yes. Necessary to pilot a vehicle safely in snow? No. Upgraded brakes are optimal, yes. Necessary to pilot a vehicle safely? No.

I haven't been in an accident that was caused by having A/S tires in my driving career.

Also, do you know the credentials of all of those that use A/S tires in this thread?

Aaron, I'm not sure where you're going with this. I did acknowlege your relevent statement to brake pads. I didn't disagree. You asked if I upgraded them on the new car. I stated it brakes better than my other car with upgraded pads, so they are already pretty damn grabby. Now, if that wears off, then yes, they get upgraded. Just like all the cars we have had do. Maybe I didn't state it clear enough.

I have never been in an accident either. I kinda don't want to. So, I try to do what I can to prepare the best I can to have a little advantage to situations that might be out of my control.

Aaron, I'm not sure where you're going with this. I did acknowlege your relevent statement to brake pads. I didn't disagree. You asked if I upgraded them on the new car. I stated it brakes better than my other car with upgraded pads, so they are already pretty damn grabby. Now, if that wears off, then yes, they get upgraded. Just like all the cars we have had do. Maybe I didn't state it clear enough.

I have never been in an accident either. I kinda don't want to. So, I try to do what I can to prepare the best I can to have a little advantage to situations that might be out of my control.

I need my validation. I have now received it. Thank you.