Input on new TDI VW junk?

Jewtoys

Well I've been DD my 3500 dually diesel the last few months and feel like I've killed the ozone layer myself. Over the past week I've been considering getting a cheaper halfway decent daily beater. Narrowed it down to a BMW 335I or a c350 Benz. Drove both, the BMW is light years better in everyway. I've driven both of these cars and didn't buy either maybe a year ago. Both of these were 2011. Started reading about all of the issues with the BMW and realized once it's iut of warranty would cost more then a Esprit in repairs. Back to square one.

No idea how I thought to look at VW but noticed certified CC are dirt cheap. Test drove a 2012 a few hours ago and thought it was halfway decent for a daily, then made the mistake of noticing a TDI jetta sport wagon. Took that for a spin and loved it, it was a 2011? But wasn't certified with 50k miles and the VW dealer wanted 21k. New ones start at 29k so I figured I would just purchase a new one. Probably will end up picking one up tomorrow unless there's things I should know about these, or if somehow someone has a better suggestion of a car that I haven't thought of.

Dont quote me on this but I believe vw really cheapened up the 11s. I think 10s are more sought after due to all of the changes. Hopefully someone else can confirm that. My buddy has a 10 jetta TDI and loves it as a daily.

Tom

I would be buying a brand new one. No point to purchase a used one with 50k miles and no warranty for 21k...

Dont quote me on this but I believe vw really cheapened up the 11s. I think 10s are more sought after due to all of the changes. Hopefully someone else can confirm that. My buddy has a 10 jetta TDI and loves it as a daily.

Tom

yup, we have an 09 and love it. I worked on vw for almost 10 years and you cant go wrong with the TDI though.

Tom

Model change was 2010 to the MK6. There were some cost savings for the 6, but nothing noteworthy. You'd only notice it if you previously had a MK5. Besides that, the interior design in light years better on the MK6. The Sportwagen is based off the Golf, and not the Jetta.

I would be buying a brand new one. No point to purchase a used one with 50k miles and no warranty for 21k...

This

Tom

uhh yea the wagon is based off the Golf, not the Jetta as Aaron said.

Cool!

Downside will be finding one with a manual and the sunroof.

Also never knew the GTI only had 200hp......

any local dealer can trade for one, although, they are getting rare, so make your purchase sooner than later.

really makes you wonder how the Focus ST at 252hp/270tq can't outrun the 200/207 GTI huh...

We just did this and it didn't make sense to buy used:

Ended up getting a brand new (2013) JSW

Got to be picky about the colors & options -- manual + sunroof, NO nav

Paid quite a bit less than $29k out the door, and it was during the 0% APR financing deal.

Yes, I've noticed some minor production quirks. But it's still a VW (normal) and a TDI (no worries).

We just did this and it didn't make sense to buy used:

Ended up getting a brand new (2013) JSW

Got to be picky about the colors & options -- manual + sunroof, NO nav

Paid quite a bit less than $29k out the door, and it was during the 0% APR financing deal.

Yes, I've noticed some minor production quirks. But it's still a VW (normal) and a TDI (no worries).

How do you like it? What's quite a bit less if you don't mind me asking? Could PM if you prefer.

Cheers

How do you like it? What's quite a bit less if you don't mind me asking? Could PM if you prefer.

Cheers

Love it.

Starting it up on this arctic morning, the glowplug light only stayed on for about 2 seconds, and it fired right up quietly.

It makes the previous TDIs seem primitive.

2014 has a backup camera added, but carefree maintenance is reduced by a year/12,000 miles. I'd happily make that trade

Love it.

Starting it up on this arctic morning, the glowplug light only stayed on for about 2 seconds, and it fired right up quietly.

It makes the previous TDIs seem primitive.

2014 has a backup camera added, but carefree maintenance is reduced by a year/12,000 miles. I'd happily make that trade

Yeah it's about 20 here in Charlotte, jetta fired right up with no glow plug light. My duramax takes about 5-10 seconds in this weather

What? that is lame.

GF Just picked up a '14 Jetta TDI to replace her '11 Jetta TDI.

'14 gets nice independent suspension, better interior materials, oh and VW Car-Net. Like on-star. She can status/lock/unlock/check fuel/find where it's parked from anywhere from her phone. Pretty slick.

I had a fully loaded tdi jsw and loved it just got bored with the car.

I can see that easily happening, but I kinda don't want a daily I will have the urge to mod. I just need to stick with one daily VS always swapping them out, and finding myself driving a Elise in ice storms like last winter :fuuuu:

Can't outrun as in the GTI keeps up or can't outrun as in the GTI beats it? Because I've not seen a GTI best an ST.

The ST is only faster to 60, and not in all tests.

Gti is a second slower then a focus St from 0-60 ha ha

They still sell the Golf R?

:dumb:

The upcoming GTI will definitely be a more stiffer competitor than several year old version for sure but I thought Aaron knew something I didn't.

Keep dreaming home boy. ST is a great car for sure, but it barely beat the MK6 in tests, and its only due to the braking/handling, straight line speed is the same, roughly.

Feel free to do your own research, but here is mine:

R&T:

ST: 6.0; 14.6

GTI: 6.4; 14.8

GTI: 6.1; 14.6

Motor Trend: ST: 5.9 14.6@95.9

Edmunds:

ST: 15.0@93.3

GTI: 14.9@95.6

C&D:

ST: 6.3; 14.8@95

GTI: 6.4; 14.8@96

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013-ford-focus-st-vs-2012-volkswagen-gti-comparison-test-car-and-driver2013-ford-focus-st-vs-2012-volkswagen-gti.pdf

The ST is only faster to 60, and not in all tests.

:dumb:

Keep dreaming home boy. ST is a great car for sure, but it barely beat the MK6 in tests, and its only due to the braking/handling, straight line speed is the same, roughly.

Feel free to do your own research, but here is mine:

R&T:

ST: 6.0; 14.6

GTI: 6.4; 14.8

GTI: 6.1; 14.6

Motor Trend: ST: 5.9 14.6@95.9

Edmunds:

ST: 15.0@93.3

GTI: 14.9@95.6

C&D:

ST: 6.3; 14.8@95

GTI: 6.4; 14.8@96

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013-ford-focus-st-vs-2012-volkswagen-gti-comparison-test-car-and-driver2013-ford-focus-st-vs-2012-volkswagen-gti.pdf

What's funny about the Golf R, besides 35k for a hatch?

Who buys either of these cars for 0-60 or 1/4 mile times?

All those publications rated the ST better than the GTI. All of them said the handling was better. Slalom was only slightly better, but GTI registered .9g on the skidpad, ST registered .96g according to R&T.

I've driven both. I like the ST more. I'm not sure if you've driven the ST, but you obviously like the GTI more. Agree to disagree, but you're right, an ST won't outrun a GTI...until stock for stock the GTI hits the governor at 129mph :dumb::lolguy:

That is of course until MKVII when everything changes for GTI.