Medial billing questions

SRTurbo04

Ok so my wife and I delivered our baby at grant hospital because that's the hospital and doctor(delivery vag doctor) that my wife's insurance accepted, every one there accepted our insurance(Aetna I believe) except one. We were there for 4 days due to a c section and there was a on call doctor that had to check on on the baby. In an out in 45 seconds.

We just got a honking size bill from this guy because he doesn't accept our insurance.

1. Why does he work at a hospital that accepts x insurance but he doesn't?

2 We didn't have a choice but to be seen by him because the baby had to be checked out, so why wernt we given an option nor told tha this guy was the on call doctor but doesn't accept our insurance even know the hospital does.

3 Is there anything we can do or ?

I don't know much about medical billing as I never go to the doctor. We were excited to pay off all our medical bills quickly and then BAM this thing comes in the mail today.

Edited by Paul

Call and explain the situation that you were forced to see an out-of-network doctor at an in network hospital. Then tell them that you're willing to pay your portion of an in network doctor and that's it

:lol: naa rather pay that then put that on our credit.

I edited it up there, but the doctor was the pediatrician that had to come check on the baby

Did you have a pediatrician chosen that rounds your hospital?

Did you have a pediatrician chosen that rounds your hospital?

I have no idea, we had a private doctor deliver the baby. I dont think we chose or got to chose who looked at our kid after she was out.

We did choose our pediatrician for her prior to going in for when shes out and for her childhood. Not sure we chose one for at the hospital.

I have no idea, we had a private doctor deliver the baby. I dont think we chose or got to chose who looked at our kid after she was out.

We did choose our pediatrician for her prior to going in for when shes out and for her childhood. Not sure we chose one for at the hospital.

The hospital should have asked you who your ped. was. They would then say if they round the hospital or not, and if not put you with the staff ped. It sounds like the hospital fucked up and just sent a random service ped. Usually the staff ped that they would send to you has a coverage agreement with your main ped's office. This is just how it worked when we had our son and I was researching everything.

Yeah they didnt tell or ask us any of this, they just came in like a nurse would and said need to check the baby and left.

....and the average person would never know.

when my dad was in the hospital recently I lost count of how many different nurses, doctors, social workers, etc. came in and what all they each did. I think somewhere on his bill it said he bought a Vette and a home theater for someone :p

....and the average person would never know.

when my dad was in the hospital recently I lost count of how many different nurses, doctors, social workers, etc. came in and what all they each did. I think somewhere on his bill it said he bought a Vette and a home theater for someone :p

Tell me about it, first off we were forced (due to wanting to stay with her vag doctor) to go to grant. btw.. asshole nurses that I wanted to punch in the face, total shit hole and holy crap too much helicopter and sirens for any hospital to have.

Then for them to pull some shady crap. Gezz I already spent a crap ton of money there.

I am no free loader and don't think im trying to get anything for free, But my wife and I work dam hard for our money an we THOUGHT we were doing it the right way, and them Bam kick us when were down . Heck they should be appreciative that we are actually paying are pills in full right when we get them instead of Mooching like some of the KIDS...yes children that were having children in there, that are going to get there bill payed by mr and mrs tax payer.

END RANT

1. Why does he work at a hospital that accepts x insurance but he doesn't?

I would be calling someone in administration to explain or justify this bullshit to me. Also, it is sad how abused the medical industry appears to be.

Only thing you've got in your favor is that you didn't sign anything. We went through something similar when with my wife when she was sick but they made us sign paperwork that we knew the surgeon's assistant was out of network before hand...and when I mean before hand I mean she's drugged up and ready to be wheeled into surgery and then they present us with the paperwork. Best part was they didn't get everything out the first time so she had to go back in for more surgery 8 days later and you guessed it...once again had to pay for an out of network surgical assistant.

I sold my first 911 to cover the out of pocket expenses we had from that ordeal because I didn't want lingering debt from it. Still bitter over it.

Medical places will always send you a bill as if your insurance is paying for it, and when they find out that isn't the case, they will immediately reduce the bill if you call them. My daughter had to go to the hospital when I was laid off and the bill was $2400. I called and told them the situation, they immediately knocked it down to $1600, no qualms whatsoever.

I know you feel like doing 'the right thing', but the right thing is for you not to be charged if you went to a place that took your insurance. Call the receiving dep't, and tell them what you are willing to pay (as suggested earlier, as if your insurance covered it), and if they don't accept that you really should consider letting it go to collections. It gives you more bargaining power and I can show you how to get it off of your credit score later. There has been some really good advice in this thread so far.