Gearing up for 2014

wagner

So my season starts here in a few weeks and I need to get some more gear. With all the new work I'm going to be taking on I need to get my act together and at least look like I know what the hell I'm doing :lol:

I picked up a Canon 70D as my new primary body.

Here is a quick list of things I am looking to pick up any feedback on what to look for would be great:

- At least 1 maybe 2 memory cards (plan on shooting in RAW and JPG)

- Neck/shoulder strap

- Batteries, or more imporantly what ones to stay away from

- Gear bag (I was actually thinking of making one out of a carry on bag and gun case foam)

- Polarizers, what do I even look for with these.

I bought a off brand battery from batteries plus. It dies fast and won't recharge now. I don't recommend a cheap one from there. (30$)

I was looking at the Wassabi batteries and noticed simlar issues on some of the reviews. Not sure if those people got bad batches, or are just stupid.

Why not get one of the vertical grips that holds more batteries? I like the idea of that, not sure how practical they are in real world though. As far as memory cards i would recommend checking out Micro Center. They have some good deals.

I've looked at the grips, but you still have to put batteries in those. I'm looking for more brand info with the batteries on what to avoid or what to get.

As far as memory cards I know where I will purchase, I'm more worried about what kind of specs to get.

Pelican makes some amazing cases. Not sure your exact needs but something like this might be nice...

http://www.pelican.com/backpacks_detail.php?Backpack=S115

or one of these...

http://www.pelican.com/case_category.php?CaseSize=Medium%&New=%

We have 2 and they have been to hell and back.

I always used to use Lowpro bags. They are usually soft but they have a lot of padding and I think a lifetime warranty. I have a couple including a backpack if you want to check them out before you buy.

When I used to work at the camera store we always recommended twice as many batteries and memory cards as you think you need. For batteries stay with Canon. They cost more but off brands don't last as long.

You are shooting autofocus so you need a circular polarizer. It's good to have one for each lens. Also don't forget a skylight or uv filter for each lens for protection. Also get a bunch of lens cloths. 35mm plastic film canisters make good places to store clothes.

Check out B&H out of NY. They are an old company and I've ways had good luck and good service with them. They should have everything you need. Good luck.

- At least 1 maybe 2 memory cards (plan on shooting in RAW and JPG)

- Neck/shoulder strap

- Batteries, or more imporantly what ones to stay away from

- Gear bag (I was actually thinking of making one out of a carry on bag and gun case foam)

- Polarizers, what do I even look for with these.

You dont need to look like you know what youre doing. You NEED to know what youre doing.

What do you plan on shooting? During the weekends I shoot Cheer I shoot upward to 5000 photos. I use a 32 gig card, and have a 16 as a back up. No need to shoot raw. Large jpeg only. Get it right in camera. Take test shots before hand. Both cards are Delkin Devices bought from Midwest. Half the cost, same performance.

Straps are opinion based. Thats all personal preference. When I carry, I have it around my neck. When I shoot I dont. Its the standard canon strap. Does just fine.

Batteries, stay with canon or use energizers. I charge 4 batteries for a weekend. And 3000 photos averaged in a day, I could still shoot the next day on my first 2. I use a grip. Put a grip on it. (It will help make you look like you know what youre doing)

Gear Bags up to you again. All personal preference. I have 6k worth of gear in a Targus Laptop backpack. Work for me the way I need it to.

Polarizers are expensive. If you buy cheap you'll get cheap results in comparison.

Pelican makes some amazing cases. Not sure your exact needs but something like this might be nice...

http://www.pelican.com/backpacks_detail.php?Backpack=S115

or one of these...

http://www.pelican.com/case_category.php?CaseSize=Medium%&New=%

We have 2 and they have been to hell and back.

How do you like your backpack so far? How much gear can you throw in it?

You dont need to look like you know what youre doing. You NEED to know what youre doing.

What do you plan on shooting? During the weekends I shoot Cheer I shoot upward to 5000 photos. I use a 32 gig card, and have a 16 as a back up. No need to shoot raw. Large jpeg only. Get it right in camera. Take test shots before hand. Both cards are Delkin Devices bought from Midwest. Half the cost, same performance.

Straps are opinion based. Thats all personal preference. When I carry, I have it around my neck. When I shoot I dont. Its the standard canon strap. Does just fine.

Batteries, stay with canon or use energizers. I charge 4 batteries for a weekend. And 3000 photos averaged in a day, I could still shoot the next day on my first 2. I use a grip. Put a grip on it. (It will help make you look like you know what youre doing)

Gear Bags up to you again. All personal preference. I have 6k worth of gear in a Targus Laptop backpack. Work for me the way I need it to.

Polarizers are expensive. If you buy cheap you'll get cheap results in comparison.

Good info, thanks. I want to get away from standard Canon strap, after the last year I have learned to hate it, but that's my preference now.

I really might get the grip now, I was on the fence about that.

The big problem with shooting some of these races is that conditions are changing all the time, so getting it right every time I have found is not an option :lolguy:

I always used to use Lowpro bags. They are usually soft but they have a lot of padding and I think a lifetime warranty. I have a couple including a backpack if you want to check them out before you buy.

When I used to work at the camera store we always recommended twice as many batteries and memory cards as you think you need. For batteries stay with Canon. They cost more but off brands don't last as long.

You are shooting autofocus so you need a circular polarizer. It's good to have one for each lens. Also don't forget a skylight or uv filter for each lens for protection. Also get a bunch of lens cloths. 35mm plastic film canisters make good places to store clothes.

Check out B&H out of NY. They are an old company and I've ways had good luck and good service with them. They should have everything you need. Good luck.

Again, good info, thank you.

I cant shoot without a grip. Ive shot gripped for 10 years now, and there is no other way!

You can. Conditions change, and that knowing your camera. Learn it, and work it. When I shoot cheer across 4 different halls none of them are lit the same. So as I race from hall to hall catching teams I have to change setting on the fly. And out door there shouldnt be a whole lot your changing.

What mode are you shooting in?

You know a polarizer will only give you the blue sky you want whens it 90 degrees to the sun. You need to learn fill flash and exposure compensation, and you can have blue skys every shot. (That would be more pit work, not launch shots) Stop by the shop one evening and I could go on for hours about what you need to know.

Actually for the type of work he does- he needs a circular polorizer for windshields.

I agree get a grip. While most work he do is In Landscape- using it in portrait mode will be so nice.

I still think he should be using raw. He needs the ability to fine time these for magazine quality work- Which IMHO- is best done with raw images.

I cant shoot without a grip. Ive shot gripped for 10 years now, and there is no other way!

You can. Conditions change, and that knowing your camera. Learn it, and work it. When I shoot cheer across 4 different halls none of them are lit the same. So as I race from hall to hall catching teams I have to change setting on the fly. And out door there shouldnt be a whole lot your changing.

What mode are you shooting in?

You know a polarizer will only give you the blue sky you want whens it 90 degrees to the sun. You need to learn fill flash and exposure compensation, and you can have blue skys every shot. (That would be more pit work, not launch shots) Stop by the shop one evening and I could go on for hours about what you need to know.

I try to shoot full manual, but sometimes that is not an option. Most of the trackside media people shoot apeture priority for the same day update stuff.

It also depends on the car too. I've learned to shoot certain color cars underexposed so I can play with them more in Lightroom

Actually for the type of work he does- he needs a circular polorizer for windshields.

I agree get a grip. While most work he do is In Landscape- using it in portrait mode will be so nice.

I still think he should be using raw. He needs the ability to fine time these for magazine quality work- Which IMHO- is best done with raw images.

I was told I HAD to get the polarizer and shoot in RAW for my next feature.

For grips I was looking at these two

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013611-REG/vello_bg_c10_battery_grip_for_canon.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1017498-REG/bower_xbgc70d_battery_grip_for_canon.html

I still need to figure out what specs are important to take into account for memory cards. I know I need a class 10 and would like to get at least a 16 gig card, but outside of that I don't know who or what to believe on the other specs of these cards.

Stick with a SanDisk or comparable Brand card and always have a backup. The class ten is probably ideal and you want as fast a card as you can get which manages how fast the camera will store the car images you've taken to the Cameras memory card so when you do a burst of six pictures you won't be a will to do another burst again quickly so how fast the camera sees the six images save to the memory card will determine when you can take the next six pictures again. I'm using six as an arbitrary number; I have no idea what you're camera is capable of.

Please excuse my Siri garbled mess - will edit when awake

Edited by damreds

Picked up a battery at Midwest Saturday, found the case I want, got some good information on memory cards, and have been 100% sold on getting a grip.

I need to educate myself on the circular polarizers next so I know what to get.

As far as a good cleaning regiment and tools for that, what should I be looking at?

Well I'm either going to get the Lowpro X200 or Pelican 1510 for a case with the zipper pouches. Those will fit my needs and have the best reviews.

As far as battery grips go, are the 3rd part ones like Vello any good? I'm having a hard time accepting the Canon grip is worth the extra $100

I use ZEIKOS grips for my Canons and they've been awesome at a fraction of the price of canon grips. Actually they have better rubber for the grip than the canon models.

I load two canon batteries into the grip and the camera's stay on for +12 hr weddings shooting into the thousands of photos without draining.

I use ZEIKOS grips for my Canons and they've been awesome at a fraction of the price of canon grips. Actually they have better rubber for the grip than the canon models.

I load two canon batteries into the grip and the camera's stay on for +12 hr weddings shooting into the thousands of photos without draining.

I will have to see if they are making one for the 70D yet, I don't recall seeing that brand anywhere.

I don't see you zeikos one but this one has some pretty good reviews

NEEWER Battery Grip Holder For Canon EOS 70D Camera DSLR Replacement For BG-E14 by Neewer http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFZM8RI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Ak67sb1WWGGEY

I saw that but was not sure due to the price. I read some reviews online where people said the rubber did not match and a few other things, but with what I do this thing is going to see some combat :lol:

A grip also allows use of AA's and weight helps balance large lenses.

Oh and that is what makes me the most happy. After having that big ass 70-200 rented last year that was stupid heavy I look forward to the balance.

With the double AA's I should have a good rollout of battery action.

Still need to get some meomory cards with enough read/write speed.