Fishing thread 2014

Mojoe

I thought I would get this seasons' thoughts, talks and plans started. I'm pretty excited to get back out there. I will be stocking the pond with more bass and some feeder blue gill. I always add 10lbs of feeder minors at the beginning and end of the warm months. Looking to do this the last week of March. The pond will also be getting a solar or wind aeration system, that I plan to build. There is lots to do to the pond to get it the way I want it.

This year I've decided to change over to a bait caster set up, from an open face. I picked up an Abu Garcia Black max.

Let's get these last few cold systems past us and get on the water. Looking forward to seeing the pics from everyone this year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're moving to baltimore in 2 weeks so i'll be spending more time at buckeye then ever.. plus the new house has a fairly large pond behind it that i have fishing access to that i'm looking forward to exploring/stocking with some fish when the owners arent looking

we're moving to baltimore in 2 weeks so i'll be spending more time at buckeye then ever.. plus the new house has a fairly large pond behind it that i have fishing access to that i'm looking forward to exploring/stocking with some fish when the owners arent looking

I thought you already moved????

KillJoy

What made this decision?

KillJoy

Because bait casters have their own (large) niche where they work great. I love bait casters.

For me, I've got a bit more work to do on the yak that I put off this winter. I plan on getting out quite a bit more this summer in it.

What made this decision?

KillJoy

I literally have 10 fishing poles. Each of them has their own part I like, and things I wish were better. After looking into Bait Casters, it looks to me like there is more versatility for want they can do, ease of function; and for what I went with, a lot more reliability. The $69 price tag was right where I wanted to be, considering you can be $400 into just a reel. I also caught a rebate for a free hoody with this set up. On their site, that goes for $49. So, for over all value and what I got, I think it's a good deal to get into one.

I use bait casters for trolling and bottom bouncing in the boat, but spinning gear for everything else... I lol'd at your 10 poles Joe. We were talking about moving the other day and pretty sure my jeep will be full of my 20 some rods and my pile of fishing gear

THink I am sitting at about 10. I am kinda rough on poles so I know there are a few broken ones in the garage I scavenge for parts.

My goal this year is to be more social with my fishing. Actually do it with other people rather then disappearing off into uninhabitated areas.

Went out the other day and grabbed this Sauger (first fish of '14)....So excited for Spring

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/4D43DF8B-1F47-4A18-9969-D255A347655F_zpseo1lhjyp.jpg

I've always been a big shore fisherman, but this past winter I got a fishing kayak. I've not even had it on the water yet, but I'm hoping to get more into that this year. I'm planning to hit up Griggs, Hoover, and some of the coves at Buckeye and Alum. It's still a ways out, but I'll be interested in how the river ends up after the "Scioto Greenways" project too. Removing the low-head dams will narrow the river (which is already obvious), but will increase flow, and I understand they are creating deeper pools in several areas that should eventually become good habitat.

In the meantime, I still really enjoy carp fishing from shore and have spent a lot of time on that over the past few years. There are several group fishing events scheduled all over Ohio for weekends starting in April, and going through October for anybody who might want to check it out. Everybody thinks you're a dumbass when talk about carp fishing, but they are a TON of fun. Unless you're eating what you catch, the fight is what it's all about anyway right?

For example:

Decent common carp (cowan lake)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Fishing/DSCF2881.jpg

Smaller grass carp (ohio river)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Fishing/DSC_0531.jpg

Large Common carp (40lb 10oz) - caught inside 270 :) - biggest I've personally seen out of Ohio

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/DSC_0100-1.jpg

I love baitcaster reels. I converted over when I was 15 from a spinning reel. I do carry a couple spinning reels with me when I go along with a couple baitcasters. It all depends on what I'm fishing for and what type of fishing/lures I'm using.

I'm definitely looking to get out there myself. I have been a bass guy like most for years but have a blast fishing for other kinds like crappie and walleye. I've actually never caught a carp but have been with my dad when he caught a big one and the fight was awesome. I've been trying to get one ever since.

Pavo

I've always been a big shore fisherman, but this past winter I got a fishing kayak. I've not even had it on the water yet, but I'm hoping to get more into that this year.

Me and a couple others bought them over the winter. That pic above was last weekend and my first time on it. You're welcome to join us...we plan to hit the water a lot this Spring/Summer.

I am a spinning rod/reel person (I still have an old school Abu Garcia bait caster). Going down to Ohio Power (SE Ohio) next week and looking forward to some pond caught Bass and fishing. Yes it will most likely be cold and we do great every year (6 - 10 guys).

Poles - Not as many as Joe

Three spinning rods/reels (Shimano Symetre)

One baitcaster

One fly rod

Going down to Ohio Power (SE Ohio) next week and looking forward to some pond caught Bass and fishing. Yes it will most likely be cold and we do great every year (6 - 10 guys).

We plan to camp down there for a weekend this summer and cover a lot of ground.

Me and a couple others bought them over the winter. That pic above was last weekend and my first time on it. You're welcome to join us...we plan to hit the water a lot this Spring/Summer.

I'd be very interested, thanks for the invite.

What do you catch them on and how? I've always heard a can of corn to chum and kernels as bait, but never really tried it. If I'm not fishing for keeps, I enjoy landing one every once in awhile. They put up one hell of a fight.

Whole kernel corn on a small treble has always worked best for me. I fish them for two reasons.

1. They grow large and put up one hell of a fight.

2. Many species are considered a nuisance in most places.

You can clean and cook them but it takes some good experience due to the bones and shit. I used to give them away if anyone wanted them or use them as bait and/or fertilizer. Depending on the kind of carp you've caught and where, you may be "obligated" to not return it to the water. And by that I mean that the parks and rec dept or whatever would appreciate it if you didn't return it but whatever. I'll be honest, don't feel like looking up the exact guidelines for this area right now. :)

What do you catch them on and how? I've always heard a can of corn to chum and kernels as bait, but never really tried it. If I'm not fishing for keeps, I enjoy landing one every once in awhile. They put up one hell of a fight.

I use "euro" style methods, as they are a popular game fish over there, THE most popular in fact. My general method is a flavored rubber/foam bait ( cut about the size of a corn kernal ) or even actual corn, though canned whole corn does not stay on very well. The key is to use a "hair rig" and small hooks, believe it or not.

I also chum, or at the very least pack a chum-type mix around my sinker, so it breaks down on the bottom, creating an attractant pile. Chum usually consists of a grain/fiber and a flavor of some kind, mixed in ratios that allow it to pack, but break down in the water..... It almost gets to be a damn science lol.

Putty. Cancel all your plans and come out with me this weekend!