Lets talk.......dogs?

Geeesammy

This may or may not be a first on CR, but I'd like some reccomendations on a dog for my mother. We had to put down our Boxer who was 11 yesterday.

Here is the dilemma. She is widowed and has Multiple Sclorosis. If you picture a "little old lady" this fits her to a T. She does very well with her MS, still walks fairly well and gets by great. The boxer was a little much for her, we had tried to train him but he would still pull, and even when he would barely pull while walking, that is still a lot for a 55 year old woman weighing 100lbs.

She wants a big dog because she thinks it will deter anyone from breaking in if they hear a "mean" bark. She also wants a small dog so it doesn't have as much of a negative affect on her body. She loved walking him while no one an no animal was around as he would behave. She wants a dog that has as much of an elaborate personality as a boxer, just without the whole "look, a butterfly, lets chase after it!!" Attitude.

If you've got any reccomendations post them up. We are going to visit a few shelters since she doesn't want to spend a lot and wants to rescue a dog opposed to buying from an individual in it to make money.

Thanks in advance CR

Shitzu, great lap dogs, but extremely protective, don't yap all the time but will create a stink if someone try's to enter.

Ive heard this from someone before, but I wasnt sure if they were messing around all the time. That's about what she wants, smaller, doesn't yap, but is mean if it ever needs to be.

Shitzu, great lap dogs, but extremely protective, don't yap all the time but will create a stink if someone try's to enter.

They don't carry much of big bark, however.

So, does she want two dogs or just a dog that kinda fits both bills? That's going to be hard and really the only thing that falls into that category would be a larger dog she enjoys but one that's had a bit of training. More than likely, unless you're buying a puppy she has to take care of, you're going to be looking at adults or young adults. Best thing would be to take a little day trip and have her see some dogs and see what clicks.

In short, good luck. :) There's really an endless supply of great dogs, breeds be damned.

This, I have a 1/2 shih zhu 1/2 lhasa apso and he's a great watch dog. Looks after the whole house, very alert and has no problems attacking strangers with hard as hell bites ;)

He's 20lbs.

They don't carry much of big bark, however.

So, does she want two dogs or just a dog that kinda fits both bills? That's going to be hard and really the only thing that falls into that category would be a larger dog she enjoys but one that's had a bit of training. More than likely, unless you're buying a puppy she has to take care of, you're going to be looking at adults or young adults. Best thing would be to take a little day trip and have her see some dogs and see what clicks.

In short, good luck. :) There's really an endless supply of great dogs, breeds be damned.

She wants one. She has an unreal expectation of what she wants out of a dog, but I figured I'd post up and see if anyone had any ideas

I am not a fan of small dogs, but my wife has a 1/2 Shitzu 1/2 Yorkie (Shorkie). She is only 9 pounds but has a ton of attitude. She thinks she is a 100 pound dog and takes no crap from my 2 80-90 pound lab / retriever mixes. She is very funny and loves to cuddle. They are considered "velcro" dogs...they will cling to you and are rarely out of your reach.

Maybe something like a golden doodle or one of those mix breed things people seem to love. They get to be about average size and are gentle dogs but will still bark at the doorbell.

+1 to the Shiz Tzu. I have one I rescued from the pound 4 years ago and he has been one of the best dogs I've ever had.

Labrdoodle.

Or get a boston terrier, a mini boxer :)

They have the personality of boxers but pint sized.

For large breeds, any of them are going to pull off the bat. She is going to have to train it not to pull. A vizsla or weim would be great for her since they are Velcro dogs and it sounds like she would always be around them.

Old English Bulldog.

The athletic version of the English bulldog, minus all the skin problems and hip problems.

Mine is 65lb female, she is the best lap dog around with a very mellow personality and a terrifying bark when she needs it. I plan on buying another one in the next few months.

Has you guys considered an older adoption dog, say in the 3-6 age range? They are usuaally trained by the rescues. Maybe a spaniel of some sort? They are medium sized, good size bark for deterrents, low grooming and incredibly smart and very loveable.

Is shedding a concern? Is grooming a concern?

See, when I think about a Shih Tzu or something of the sort, all I can think about is the grooming nightmare they are. If I were going for a smaller dog like that, I'd go with a Pug. Not too high energy, no grooming nightmares.

See, when I think about a Shih Tzu or something of the sort, all I can think about is the grooming nightmare they are. If I were going for a smaller dog like that, I'd go with a Pug. Not too high energy, no grooming nightmares.

No grooming nightmare at all. He gets cut

Every so often at the groomers and that's it. Doesn't shed everywhere and doesn't need high maintenance.

I have an 11 month old pug. The thing has more energy then my boxer. He is the dumbest dog in the world. Stubborn, hard to train and the worst piercing bark I have ever heard. I hate him and love him. I will NEVER own a pug again.

I have an 11 month old pug. The thing has more energy then my boxer. He is the dumbest dog in the world. Stubborn' date=' hard to train and the worst piercing bark I have ever heard. I hate him and love him. I will NEVER own a pug again.[/quote']

Lol so not only was he wrong on the grooming part but also wrong with the pug recommendation. He prolly is a cat person.

+1 We have 3 and they are great house dogs! The only downside is, they do require grooming. We takes ours in ever 3 months to get shaved. no daily maintenance or anything.