home insulation questions...

Really quick background, I'm starting a weekend project this week in our living room. The room has two exterior walls, and a wall that is against our garage, it is also above our non-heated crawl space. I'm drywalling the walls, but would like to insulate first including the garage wall. What insulation should I be using? R value? Brand? What has everyone used and liked lately?

Thanks,

Tom

Really quick background, I'm starting a weekend project this week in our living room. The room has two exterior walls, and a wall that is against our garage, it is also above our non-heated crawl space. I'm drywalling the walls, but would like to insulate first including the garage wall. What insulation should I be using? R value? Brand? What has everyone used and liked lately?

Thanks,

Tom

Owens Corning R-13 or really any brand will do. If you're insulating exterior walls, you need to have a vapor barrier between the insulation and drywall to help with moisture. You can use a kraft faced insulation with the paper facing the inside of the room. Unfaced insulation and a 4mil visqueen used as a vapor barrier is typically cheaper than using a kraft faced insulation.

If you decide to insulate the crawl space, the vapor barrier is typically done a little differently. I would use an unfaced insulation in the floor joist, held up with a twine. I would lay a layer of 6 or 8mil visqueen on the ground.

Hope this helps.

I just finished my basement a couple of months ago and used the Owens Corning EcoTouch R-13....supposedly you can touch this stuff with your hands and it won't irritate your skin (however, I wore gloves anyway).

It was just a friction fit, and the warmth in the basement is fantastic with this stuff.

1395901_10151712997141497_86467313_n.jpg