Mulching blades without a mulching kit? Any issues?

Browning

I have a 48" husqvarna like this one with a 24hp Kohler.

http://machines4u.cachefly.net/machinery/45/53145/2012-Husqvarna-YTH24K48-Ride-On-Mower_196336.jpg

It's mulching compatible but I don't have the block off plate for the deck. Needing new blades I went to lowes and all they had left were mulching blades. I went ahead and grabbed a 3 pack but not sure if I will need to purchase the block off or not? I'll get the plate if it's actually needed but if it will mow fine with out then what's the big deal? Stock blades sucked.

I used mulching blades on my 42" Craftsman II. I wouldn't think there would be any issues if you still were discharging clippings.

You use the block off on yours?

I use mulching blades on my 60" with no issues. I just find it chopping the grass blades more.

Excellent. Stock blades often left clumps no matter the height or how often I mowed.

The only issue I have with using mulching blades with an open deck is the quality of your cut. Most mulching blades will not create much lift to suck up the grass blade for a good cut. I use only high lift blades during the spring/summer, but they will work.

The only issue I have with using mulching blades with an open deck is the quality of your cut. Most mulching blades will not create much lift to suck up the grass blade for a good cut. I use only high lift blades during the spring/summer, but they will work.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT LAWNS?!?

You use the block off on yours?

It depended on how much I slacked off. If it was a rainy late spring, and I hadn't mowed within 7 days, I'd shoot clippings out to not choke the deck. Otherwise, I'd normally use a blockoff plate.

I was under the impression that sucking up the grass was exactly what a mulching blade is designed to do, so it gets cut repeatedly. Guess the block off would help quite a bit with that though

I might have the kit that you need, I will look tomorrow. As far as if they will work or not... I have always put mulching blades on my mowers and my lawn looks great when I get done cutting it. Make sure to keep them sharp and clean the deck often