Techs, point me to a new box.

Geeesammy

I recently landed a new job at a dealership. I plan on wrenching for a long time and plan on being at the new place for awhile. Currently I own a Harbor Freight 13 drawer box, it is a Jenga puzzle to get things back in.

I'd like some a good bit bigger than what I need currently so I can grow into it, and box's definitely aren't getting cheaper. I could get a cheapo Harbor Freight box, but they seem to be built so shitty and the drawers don't roll well with a decent amount of weight in them. I want a good balance between quality and cost for now, tools are more what I'm interested in putting my money in, not a box.

Here are two of my top contenders, they seem to fit all the needs I currently have. They are the most similar I am able to find between the two brands. Mainly interested in Cornwell and Snap-On as I've heard they seem to stick around. I've had three people tell me Mac can't seem to keep anyone around, and I am not a fan of Matco, just personal preference.

http://www.cornwelltools.com/webcat/products.php?product=CTB75BBL-%252d-75%E2%80%9D-Cabinet-with-15-drawers-%252d-Blue#

http://store.snapon.com/KRA2418-Classic-96-Series-Roll-Cabs-Roll-Cab-Classic-96-Triple-Bank-18-Drawers-Royal-Blue-P644558.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Can't go wrong with snap on, cornwell, mac.

But I will warn you, don't dump a huge amount of money into tools or tool box until you are 100% sure that's what you want to do.

If your flat rate, it's a very rough career now a days. Been in your shoes before and I'm glad that I am out of it.

Buy one used! They always have great trade ins. I buy snap on only. I have a little matco and very few Mac. Won't buy any cornwell, Just preference. Save some money and buy more tools. I have seen too many people have a mortgage payment in tools. I have 20k plus in tools easily and I'm not even a mechanic anymore. That classic 96 snappy you linked is a great box though. I have seen many get lots of years and good use out of them.

Also check with the dealers that go to that dealership.

A lot of times they will have a box on their truck for months and they want it gone. I bought a classic 78 series and he threw in stainless steel top, set of strike plate pry bars, screw drivers, and snap on pliers.

cornwell is cheaper for sure but i don't have a $6500 snap-on bill for nothing...mainly because they're the easiest dealers to come by.

if your sure its what you want to do plan ahead....buy a bigger box than what you will need at first...i'm on my third box and i'm still out of room.

Can't go wrong with snap on, cornwell, mac.

But I will warn you, don't dump a huge amount of money into tools or tool box until you are 100% sure that's what you want to do.

If your flat rate, it's a very rough career now a days. Been in your shoes before and I'm glad that I am out of it.

The plan is to stay in it for awhile, then try to branch off into something else similar to what I think you do. It is a tough career, but it seem's dealers have more money to be made compared to these Tire/Oil/Service shops.

We.already talked about my opinion on boxes, so the only point I want to make is that Snaponle l financing is way better of a deal then Cornwell. Cornwell is simply a credit card the way a lot of motorcycle dealers used to sell on a card, ask anybody how big a PITA it is to pay off. Snapon is much more like a car payment with a set number of weeks that you can negotiate.

I would just bite the bullet and go Snapon, the damn box will last forever, and if you'll always be working on something even if you get out of the trade you won't want to get rid of your tools so why not just have the box? This is why I just said fuck it a few years ago, found a decent deal and went with it, of course I really can't see myself doing anything else anytime soon.

We.already talked about my opinion on boxes, so the only point I want to make is that Snaponle l financing is way better of a deal then Cornwell. Cornwell is simply a credit card the way a lot of motorcycle dealers used to sell on a card, ask anybody how big a PITA it is to pay off. Snapon is much more like a car payment with a set number of weeks that you can negotiate.

I would just bite the bullet and go Snapon, the damn box will last forever, and if you'll always be working on something even if you get out of the trade you won't want to get rid of your tools so why not just have the box? This is why I just said fuck it a few years ago, found a decent deal and went with it, of course I really can't see myself doing anything else anytime soon.

I did not know that about Cornwell, and I'm glad you told me this. I was about to buy a Cornwell 3 bay tomorrow morning, looks like I'll go snap on. The flyer Jeff gave me had something on the front about buying a 3 bay for the price of a 2 bay, no idea what the specifics are, I'll give him a call tomorrow morning.

A neighbor of mine was selling a flawless used snap on 96 with SS top for $3000 last weekend. I'd suggest as the others said to buy used.

I'd love to buy a used one as it's a much better deal, but I don't have $3,000 laying around to dump into a box. If I did have $3,000 laying around it would go into tools more than likely.

Thanks everyone for the good input. As Scott said, even if I ever get out of it I'll always be working on my cars or everyone else's so I'd rather keep the tools even if that means making payments on them. I've done a good job so far of not doing what a lot of new techs seem to do and go in $5,000 with Snap-On and others just in tools because they can finance it. I'd rather pay cash up front and only finance if I have to, even if it means slaving away with old school stuff.

I think one day you will understand what I'm talking about when I say make sure it's what you want. Buying a 5k $ tool box for a career is one thing. Getting out of that career and having a 5k $ tool box at home is different. Trust me I've been there.

Starting off I would get a cheap used box that's big enough for all your tools. When you OUTGROW that box then upgrade to a big snap on box. When you know your making money. Flat rate jobs are very hard so having a 100$ a week tool account when your working 80 hours getting paid 50 hours is rough.

Also snap on credit (unless it's changed) when you finance a box even with great credit your paying 19% interest.... so make sure you read the fine print.

Just my personal experience. Take it as you will.

I think one day you will understand what I'm talking about when I say make sure it's what you want. Buying a 5k $ tool box for a career is one thing. Getting out of that career and having a 5k $ tool box at home is different. Trust me I've been there.

+1,000,000, got a 23k Snap On box in the garage full of tools that I don't use, I can make you a deal............

+1,000,000, got a 23k Snap On box in the garage full of tools that I don't use, I can make you a deal............

I will say that I still use my tools at my current job. But at one point I had 2 full tool boxes sitting in my garage. You may think you'll use all your tools but I have a lot of specialty Toyota tools that I haven't touched in 5 years.

+1 on buying used or repo.. Look there first. I try to buy All my tools repo if i can. Saves bunches of money

This is the best way to buy a Mac box for the general public...

You could also enroll in the automotive program at CSCC and you can get STEEP discounts on Mac stuff. Better than employee discounts.

Source: Dad worked for mac tools for over 30 years.

Very glad I'm out of it.

Starting off I would get a cheap used box that's big enough for all your tools. When you OUTGROW that box then upgrade to a big snap on box. When you know your making money. Flat rate jobs are very hard so having a 100$ a week tool account when your working 80 hours getting paid 50 hours is rough.

Some guys at dealers I've worked at had shitty harbor freight boxes or cheap old snap on boxes and were the ones turning the most hours. If I went back in time I'd just get this cheap harbor freight box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html

Then once I filled that thing to the brim, then I might upgrade to an expensive snap-on box. There's probably a lot of things I'd go on the cheaper spectrum too. You feel regret when you have $15K~ in tools and your $4K snap-on box is 50% full. lol

Very glad I'm out of it.

Some guys at dealers I've worked at had shitty harbor freight boxes or cheap old snap on boxes and were the ones turning the most hours. If I went back in time I'd just get this cheap harbor freight box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html

Then once I filled that thing to the brim, then I might upgrade to an expensive snap-on box. There's probably a lot of things I'd go on the cheaper spectrum too. You feel regret when you have $15K~ in tools and your $4K snap-on box is 50% full. lol

I have this in the bigger box

http://www.harborfreight.com/56-in-11-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-67681.html

I paid 600 for it and it has been a tremendous box for the money. Harbor freight even now has a top box you can buy down the road or even side cabinet or box. I would go this route first before investing 3-5k on a box. If in the case you have to upgrade to a new box this one from HF will be nice to have at home.

I did not know that about Cornwell, and I'm glad you told me this. I was about to buy a Cornwell 3 bay tomorrow morning, looks like I'll go snap on. The flyer Jeff gave me had something on the front about buying a 3 bay for the price of a 2 bay, no idea what the specifics are, I'll give him a call tomorrow morning.

I'd love to buy a used one as it's a much better deal, but I don't have $3,000 laying around to dump into a box. If I did have $3,000 laying around it would go into tools more than likely.

Thanks everyone for the good input. As Scott said, even if I ever get out of it I'll always be working on my cars or everyone else's so I'd rather keep the tools even if that means making payments on them. I've done a good job so far of not doing what a lot of new techs seem to do and go in $5,000 with Snap-On and others just in tools because they can finance it. I'd rather pay cash up front and only finance if I have to, even if it means slaving away with old school stuff.

is Jeff Pickard(sp) your Snap-on guy?

May just go with an HF box for now, then I can just pay cash and worry about one less payment. I'd rather invest in tools at this point.

Really like this but it seems like no one has it in stock locally, it is 2"-3" taller than a similar Snap On box, but 2" less on depth. I'm tall so I like the idea of a 42" tall box instead of a 39" or so.

This is the one I am referring to.

http://www.harborfreight.com/72-in-18-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-61656.html

But this may be the better option as well, not too big, still has the height, plenty of room to grow into it, and I'm not dropping a grand into a box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/56-in-11-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-67681.html

May just go with an HF box for now, then I can just pay cash and worry about one less payment. I'd rather invest in tools at this point.

Really like this but it seems like no one has it in stock locally, it is 2"-3" taller than a similar Snap On box, but 2" less on depth. I'm tall so I like the idea of a 42" tall box instead of a 39" or so.

This is the one I am referring to.

http://www.harborfreight.com/72-in-18-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-61656.html

But this may be the better option as well, not too big, still has the height, plenty of room to grow into it, and I'm not dropping a grand into a box.

I'm 6'3 and love how high this tool box sits, you have to pay quite a premium to get that from mac or matco

I wouldve heavily considered the 72 but I dont think it was available when I bought mine