Is black as bad as they say?

mseebs

So after spending some time looking. I finally found a car with all the options I want and that is a good match to me. Dealer also seems to be offering a very good price.

The thing is, the car is black. Ive always heard black cars are a complete nightmare to keep clean.

Now I don't really have the time or patience to sit back and do a big detail of my cars. Usually only do it a few times a year. In between that, I usually just hose them off and hit a touch less wash once a week.

So basically, is black as bad as people make it out to be? Will a quick wash once a week suffice? I just like my cars clean, the mirror coat shine and such isn't really a concern to me.

IMHO, yes, black is a lot harder color to keep looking good, with silver as the easiest. White is a forgiving color, too.

A detailer I know says that for a car, black isn't even a color -- it's a part-time job.

In normal use, I find that my black cars will look clean for about an hour before the dust has accumulated to the point that they begin looking dirty again. Dusting definitely helps with black cars, whereas my lighter cars nearly never need dusting to look good.

Good paint correction polishing plus 22PLE sealant have helped enormously with keeping swirls to a minimum and making weekly washes easier. I won't have a dark color car without correction+sealant.

My .02

Yes. OMG yes. I keep saying I won't buy another black car and then see a cleaned up black car and say "must have". If you care about it being clean and are DD it stay away from black.

+1

I've had a black Olds Intrigue, Saturn Sky, Chevy Volt, and Chevy Equinox. It's a nightmare to keep them clean and I used to wash the Sky daily because it was the only one I really cared enough about. It looked really good for that hour though.

I'll be the odd man out, I wash my car maybe twice a year and I just don't care, its a DD and as long as its not covered in bird shit or salt I don't care about it that much.

Now if we are talking a show car that you will only drive on sunny days? yea that would be a pain in the ass to keep clean

If it's a daily driver, I can see where it might be a pain. The FD is black. I drive it about 5 times a month. I don't think it's that bad, but that is pretty light use. I guess it would depend on how clean you want it to look ,and if you enjoy or hate cleaning it. Edited by Mojoe

When my black daily driver sat in a garage at work and in my garage at home it was relatively easy to keep it pretty good looking on a regular basis. Now that it sits outside 24/7 it looks like crap all the time.

The quick washes you speak of in your original post will not get you the results you are looking for. The car will come out of the spotless wash looking less worse but not clean by any means.

I guess the better question is what is your tolerance level for the car looking dirty? You stated you don't need a mirror coat shine to be happy with it....but if you're not planning on hand washing and drying and wiping it down with a quick detailer once a week I have a feeling you won't be happy with the way it looks MOST of the time.

I subscribe to the same adage, "black is not a color, it's a part-time job". That said, my first and second Corvettes are black. Black will also break your heart when most of the imperfections stand out in the bright sun.

While dust and particles in the air will deposit on any color paint just the same, black shows them. If you're planning for touchless washes, I suggest reconsidering; water spotting is nearly white and shown prominently on a black finish. High-end silica-based and polymer-based coatings will minimize the appearance of dirt, dust, grime, and other contaminants by providing a highly reflective layer so effective that the color itself is masked.

I'll say this, you might want to turn a blind eye on perfection. It's a daily driver and it'll be exposed to many "attacks" including people putting things on your car. If the car was something you've been looking for a long time and the deal is a good one, don't let paint color deter the purchase. Keep it clean as much as you can, avoid anything that introduce even more scratches and water spots, and, if you could afford it, have paint protection film installed.

[/i]

I'll emphasize the UPside to black paint, as mentioned: if you're going to shine it for a car show, C&C, cruise, Sawmill, etc... it'll look better than nearly any other paint. Black is still a very popular color, and won't negatively affect resale value. Plus, if you have any paint chips or damage it'll be easier to match it.

Considering I've got a high bid on a black car on eBay right now, I can say I had two black DD/fun cars and I'd be happy to jump back into DD'ing a black car again! :thumbup:

I'll never own a black car. Hell, the Cobra (Dark Shadow Grey) is borderline, but I keep it pretty clean. White and silver are the only way to go... :nod:

The grey isn't that bad ;)

Black is clean for about as long as it takes to dry it. My first mustang was a black 93 Gt. When it was clean it got a lot of attention for looking good. When it was dirty it looked like absolute shit. Greyish looking in the winters from salt. I'd own another black car, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Black is sexy clean but fuck it goes to hell the moment it rains or sprinkles even a bit. I had a black SUV and now my wife's van that's black. It gets detailed twice per year and I'm particular about it even it's just a van. Looks great after 7yrs but it's 10x the pain to clean up. Even a simple wash sucks.

White is the easiest IMO. Silver is cool but a bitch to match if touch up or paint is needed.

hell I have a quad cab 3500 dually that is black. It looks bitchin when clean but does not last long. Had andy clean it up after I bought it and wish it would of looked like that forever. It does not take long to wash it but if I want to I can easily piss away an hour cleaning it If I want it do look its best.