Anyone live in the northern Columbus/Morse Rd area?

2 Sweet

Specifically right off 71, between Morse/Cooke Rd. My grandparents used to live in a neighborhood there (Matthias Dr, off Maize Rd). Bought the house new in 1959. My grandpa passed away in 2007 and my grandma recently moved into assisted living. My dad now owns the house, and I may have the opportunity to rent/buy the house for a good deal if I want it. It's in fantastic shape, nice yard, 2-car garage, decent basement, good neighbors, etc. I've lived in Hilliard most of my life and just not sure if I want to live in that area.

If anyone is familiar with this area, what are your opinions?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have spent half my life living in "the hood." The other half living in white suburban areas. I have more issues with people in white suburbia than I ever did in the hood. Just sayin'. Go spend some time over there and talk to the neighbors. Get a feel for the place then make a decision.

Its not that bad (if you remember where I live, its not that far from there), worst tjat has happened to me is my car got broken into while it was parked on the street (the doors weren't locked). My advise is park in the garage or lock your car doors. Otherwise nothing to worry about.

I live in that area right now in a rental house (off of Huy), and I am looking at buying a house a few streets over closer to Maize. My grandma has lived in her house over there for decades and never had a problem until last summer when her house was broken in to by some kids (the neighbor saw them, and followed them back to a house on Oakland Park, but the cops couldn't do anything). There are some pretty decent houses over there for really cheap, and the neighbors around her at least are all really good people.

With the house I've been looking at, I've already met one of the neighbors and he seems like a really nice guy. He did say its usually pretty quiet, but did advise investing in a security system, which I was planning on anyway.

As nice as it would be to live in the Clintonville/Beechwold area like I have the rest of my life, its too cost prohibitive to live over there.

car break in and house break ins happen in ALL kinds of neighborhoods. Again, I live in prissy suburbia where my vehicle has been gotten into twice in the last 3yrs. That ish wouldn't deter me from buying a place unless it was on a mass scale.

Why does that matter? If I make $30k/yr and you make $100k/yr, i'm not good enough to be your neighbor?

With low income comes thieves and drugs. Was that hard to comprehend?

If you're going to try to steal my shit and sell drugs to my kids, no i wont want to you to be my neighbor.

Ive lived near there a couple times over the course ofa few years. Seen some stuff that area i havent seen in other neighborhoods and definitely didnt feel like it was a safe area. Never actually had anything happen though. People seem to keep to their own.

I have some friends who live in that area, as it was said before its mostly old people who have lived in their homes for decades. Personally if the deal was good enough I wouldn't mind living there. I live in dublin now and commute downtown for work and most weekends. the traffic in dublin on the weekends can be fucking stupid (esp 23/270 area towards worthington).

If you're going to try to steal my shit and sell drugs to my kids, no i wont want to you to be my neighbor.

Between what my wife and I make I believe we are considered low income (probably on the high end of that scale though). I have not stolen anything or possessed (or done for that matter) any drugs. I can see how this is a perceived stereo type, not always as true as you think. Trust me when I say though, there are much much worse parts of town than what he is looking at.

Edit: why not ask your dad if you can stay there a couple months before you decide, so you can kind of feel out the area.

Yeah because there's no thieves or drug addicts/dealers that fall in the high income category.

OP you can be like some people here that are in fear of their life and need to be armed everywhere they go, or you can get a good deal on a house and enjoy life for what it is.

• Downvote 1

If you are thinking about living there long term also consider which way home values are going. Do some searches and make sure you are not going to lose money by buying a house in an area with decreasing property values. You could buy it today at a "deal" only to break even later.

Also if you have or plan on having kids compare the school systems. Hilliard is generally far better than Cbus but some local schools do ok. I am just west of 71 so I go through there often. It's not the worst area but it wouldn't be my first choice unless I had a huge garage or other motivation. Good luck.

No matter how nice the house or the street is, you will have the crap of that area around you. Kroger will suck to be in. Getting gas nearby will piss you off. The people around that area have hard times, your daily risk assesment will have additional layers of frustrations.

Is that how you want to live? If you are fine with that, I'll be over here shutting up if you need anything.

No matter how nice the house or the street is, you will have the crap of that area around you. Kroger will suck to be in. Getting gas nearby will piss you off. The people around that area have hard times, your daily risk assesment will have additional layers of frustrations.

Is that how you want to live? If you are fine with that, I'll be over here shutting up if you need anything.

The exact situation at the house I just moved out of. Nice street (imo) but the surrounding area started driving me crazy.