Help me pick a new car...

caseyctsv

Well for the first time in a long time I find myself at a loss for what I want next. Here are the "musts":

- must sound amazing

- must be quick but I am past needing it to be the fastest thing around

- must be fun

- must be a car that not everyone has

- must be < 30k

As for what I like: I LOVED my 2005 CTSv - I considered getting another one but I find it hard to believe I will find one as nice as I had and figured why not change it up. Cost is no object I would get a 2nd gen V or C6 Z06 or GS. I may save a while and go that route as they are > 30k. What I have on my "to drive" list so far:

- 2004+ M3 Convertible (this was the other car I considered before the V)

- 2011+ Mustang (cannot believe I even said that)

- Challenger SRT8

- C6 vette (could I live without the wide body?)

- Mercedes C55

- Audi S4 (I know the V8 sounds good but what about the 3.0t which is supposed to be the better motor)

What am I missing? Any strong opinions on the cars on the list? (tom should chime in as I think he has owned them all :))

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Save up for the CTS-V, they are one of the best looking and sounding cars out there. A guy had one in the all access class and was beating on it during Auto X and just letting the car rip down the drag strip.

That blower at full tilt screaming down the track with the exhaust he had on it just sounded killer.

If I ever get a real job I think one of these cars will be something I spoil myself with.

BMW M5 V10. I think that's the E60 chassis, made from 05-10?

That thing, especially if you put a nice exhaust on it... for $3k? :no: would probably sound as close to an F1 car as a normal human being can afford.

From a really quick search on Edmunds it looks like you can get an 06ish with around 50kmi for just under $30k.

I know little about these cars so I can't speak to them, or their reliability or maint. cost. Obviously not cheap, but then most of the cars in this realm probably aren't going to be, but it might be a nightmare car that I just don't know about. Just an idea that popped into my head for this type of car.

Edited by Trouble Maker

Alex...I do have the 335i on my list. My biggest concern, no lie, is whether or not those can be made to sound good. With a couple simple mods I am aware they can be pretty fast, I like the looks of them.

Others - I know I am all over the place - I need to start driving some of them. I cannot decide if I just want a toy to drive only on nice days (vette) or something to daily. Leaning towards a fun DD like I had in the V.

http://bit.ly/1rWcCc4

I feel like you're not trying very hard - this one's $20k

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/544/408/images/2014/5/5/371/958/38226951850.371958228.IM1.02.565x421_A.565x392.jpg

I assume these are the same drive-train as the Quattroporte of that ear. If so, I've heard the transmission reliability (maybe clutch issues?) is awful.

E39 BMW m5 v8. From 1997-2003. A little old but they are far and away better than the v10 cars that replaced them. Easier to fix than the v10, and more in line with a 3 series in terms of repair costs. Plus manual transmission. An under 100k mile 2003 example should be mid to high $20k which shows how popular these cars are and how shallow the depreciation curve is on them.

I like the e46 BMW m3, but run the other direction from an smg trans one.

- Love the E46 M3, do not want the maintenance cost or pay the ridic market value to buy one today. I would highly recommend a 335 'vert stick and tune it for 400hp.

- Love the CTS-V as you well know. I was going to wait for v2's to come down in price also but I grew impatient. :D Will look at that down the road. Everything you loved about the v1 CTS-V but better? How can you go wrong?

- How much do you need the rear seat? Any consideration for a Porsche 911? Not even a Turbo...just a well-spec'd Carrera S or 4S?

- What about an M5?

Alex...I do have the 335i on my list. My biggest concern, no lie, is whether or not those can be made to sound good. With a couple simple mods I am aware they can be pretty fast, I like the looks of them.

Others - I know I am all over the place - I need to start driving some of them. I cannot decide if I just want a toy to drive only on nice days (vette) or something to daily. Leaning towards a fun DD like I had in the V.

335is, look into it more than a 335i, one they are not as many out there and finding a low mileage example should be easy to find. A lot of people do not even know about the model.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-bmw-335is-coupe-review

While the Maserati is cool I forgot a "must".....must be reliable.

I love the RS4 but no way I want to deal with the constant valve cleaning issues

Also a lot of the newer DI cars have this issue RE valves, I know most of the N54 equipped and N55 equipped BMW's require it once every 30-50K and Audi has it as well.