New car ideas around 20k

everlight44

Greetings fellow automotive enthusiasts,

I like my old '99 accord v6 that I inherited from my dad, but I miss having a manual semi-fast car and am looking for ideas. I'd like something newer that is only lightly used and will last me awhile, as well as get me to and from work in the snow. I'm not opposed to buying snow tires but am unsure of RWD in the frozen tundra, as I have not owned a car with it before. Unfortunately the "fast, cheap, reliable: pick two" probably comes to mind here.

Here are a few I've thought of:

- Subaru WRX - haven't had much luck finding one for 20k that has less than 60k miles

- 2011 Camaro - the RWD thing comes to mind, but I like them

- 2011 Mustang - same as the Camaro

- 2013 Ford focus ST - seems nice but is FWD, which makes putting power to the ground harder

- Subaru BRZ - seems nice but not that powerful and RWD

Any other cars to look out for? I like the WRX, but not much luck locating one. The mustang/camaro ideas is probably 2nd

Thanks all

- Sean

I'd agree that an A4 is a great way to get a posh DD that still has great dry weather/shitty weather AWD handling.

I'd also not be too against RWD. My E36 318i 'vert has an LSD and even with all-seasons I really had a tough time getting stuck or losing control. Fun to drive, but still safe within control limits. Most boring "snow fun" video ever because it's tough to get this thing disturbed in the snow.

I don't really know if it qualifies as "fast" but mark v and mark vi GTi VWs are pretty nice. It's a lot of useable car for the money. My brother loved his '06 and my wife loves her A3. I know it is wrong wheel drive but if you are the kind of person that is worrying about rwd in snow then maybe you need a cheap rwd winter beater to get you acclimated to driving in the white stuff before spending on a nice car. I drove my wrangler all last winter in 2wd without an airbag, traction control, or ABS (it's a 1995 and the transfer case was busted) and never once gave it a second thought but then again I have been doing it all my life. I once drove my GTO 6 hours through a blizzard to get to a Bruce Springsteen concert so...either you fear weather or you don't.

Just had a new camaro v6 auto as a rental last week. I can't say enough nasty things about that car from the cheesy 1980's limo lighting to the weak as wet toilet paper and poor shifting auto. Cheap and cheesy was the order of the day. I really wanted to like this car I really did, and it has some great stuff when you look at it from the outside but if I had to live with it? No thanks.

Wrx is a good car. They are out there for under $20k but you really have to look. Don't buy a modded one.

2013 Ford focus ST - seems nice but is FWD, which makes putting power to the ground harder

Perhaps, but it is a nice car and I'm not so sure about the power thing as I've never driven one. Certainly is the case in my MS3 but I suspect the Ford has improved on things. Would highly recommend you drive one or ask the other members here if you're seriously interested. Even though it's FWD, packing a lot of power into a little car like that puts a smile on your face and fits the bill as a daily driver.

Greetings fellow automotive enthusiasts,

I like my old '99 accord v6 that I inherited from my dad, but I miss having a manual semi-fast car and am looking for ideas. I'd like something newer that is only lightly used and will last me awhile, as well as get me to and from work in the snow. I'm not opposed to buying snow tires but am unsure of RWD in the frozen tundra, as I have not owned a car with it before. Unfortunately the "fast, cheap, reliable: pick two" probably comes to mind here.

Here are a few I've thought of:

- Subaru WRX - haven't had much luck finding one for 20k that has less than 60k miles

- 2011 Camaro - the RWD thing comes to mind, but I like them

- 2011 Mustang - same as the Camaro

- 2013 Ford focus ST - seems nice but is FWD, which makes putting power to the ground harder

- Subaru BRZ - seems nice but not that powerful and RWD

Any other cars to look out for? I like the WRX, but not much luck locating one. The mustang/camaro ideas is probably 2nd

Thanks all

- Sean

I don't have any problem putting power down in my ST. There's some torque steer, but I'm not just spinning my tires relentlessly.

I would check out the GTI and GLI from VW. Great cars, nicely made and are still fun to drive.

I vote for the WRX. 60K is just well broken in. There are some really good cars out there. I picked up a 2003 with 93K and it was a fantastic car. Drove it to over 130K as an active RallyX car with the stock engine and turbo. Only needed oil changes and an upper radiator hose.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I don't really have the space to store my accord and own another car at this time, so I can't have the best of both worlds with daily beater + crazy evening/weekend car. RWD seems like it would be OK as long as I had good tires and was easy on the throttle (duh). I have to drive up and down 315 to get to work right now and sit in crap traffic a lot, so that may influence my decision a little bit too. Sounds like I have some test driving to do....

Can you deal with FWD LOL?

Well... hopefully, lol. My friend has a speed3 and its torque steer is pretty insane.

You won't find a 2011+ mustang or camaro for $20k that is worth buying.

In terms of the interior or...? I found a few v8 ones on autotrader. They don't have all the bells and whistles for sure though.

Fiesta ST new for $22K, love mine. Went out canyon carving today and left my Mustang club in the dust, great little car that has no issue putting it's power down.

Been thinking about test driving a focus and fiesta ST. Both seem to be popular and quick. Only bad things I've read are that they don't have limited slip and can have carbon buildup due to direct injection. Having a car with a warranty would be appealing too.

Thanks all - Sean

Been thinking about test driving a focus and fiesta ST. Both seem to be popular and quick. Only bad things I've read are that they don't have limited slip and can have carbon buildup due to direct injection. Having a car with a warranty would be appealing too.

Thanks all - Sean

I'm at 4500 miles, no signs of any issues yet but it seems to be a common issue on all DI engines. No lsd is not great but the torque vectoring helps, at autocross I'm PAX'ing near top 10 and I'm bone stock.

In terms of the interior or...? I found a few v8 ones on autotrader. They don't have all the bells and whistles for sure though.

In terms of mileage, factory warranties running out, questionable histories, etc. Also, if one is listed for $20k expect to buy it out the door at $23k with tax, tags, and title. Not trying to shit on your cake or anything.. maybe I'm biased because I just bought one and seeing the depreciation on these things makes me shed a tear. If you find one cheap, it feels solid, and the title is clean go for it, but I checked on a few of the ones posted under $20k and they were in accidents.

I would not depend on a mustang or camaro as your only DD. I drove 5 liter mustangs through it all during high school and college. A lot of the time I had a nice Chevy Blazer on standby to get to work. Those evenings when we drive to work on dry roads and then there are 5" by rush hour...you are not getting home. Sure it isn't an every day thing, but I think it happens enough to make it a not-so-good idea. As others said, if you can keep the Accord then go for it.

Thanks all - Sean

You're right about the lack of LSD, I'm not a big fan of the brake based torque vectoring but an LSD can certainly be added down the road.

I'm at 4500 miles, no signs of any issues yet but it seems to be a common issue on all DI engines. No lsd is not great but the torque vectoring helps, at autocross I'm PAX'ing near top 10 and I'm bone stock.

Is E-85 an option on DI motors? Wouldn't have buildup issues with that :)