What do you call the shock mount?

ShoMeSomeFun

Im in the middle of a restoration on a 1978 Suzuki GS1000 thats being turned into a cafe racer.

The bike had been laid down at some point in its life and the rear upper shock mount stud bent. And when I went to take the bolt off to remove the shock the stud sheared in half.

The studs are welded in so I have to grind it down and drill the bad one out.

Where do I find new ones? I see people relocate shocks all the time but where do they buy the hardware to do so?

The easiest option is to buy a bare frame for around 200, but id rather work harder and install a 20 dollar part.

Can't you just drill/tap the current location and use a hardened fastener such as a bolt with the head cut off or a shouldered stud?

That might work. Im just concerned with the welding of the bolt to the frame. Where is there a place in town that I can find the bolt you showed?

The upper shock mount is not available any way - if you snapped it off you have to figure out something else.

FWIW not every bike has a welded stud for their upper shock mount. Old Ironhead sportsters use a large shouldered bolt through the frame.

The GS1000 is a big fat pig of a bike so whatever you do you want it to be stronger than stock. If it were me I would redo both rear shock mounts and instead of a stud upper shock mount I would weld a clevis to the frame that the shock mount fit into and then secured the shock with a shouldered bolt.

Can't you just drill/tap the current location and use a hardened fastener such as a bolt with the head cut off or a shouldered stud?

That might work. Im just concerned with the welding of the bolt to the frame. Where is there a place in town that I can find the bolt you showed?

You may be able to fine a stud that will work through Dorman:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/355-359_Sec17_Part1.pdf

I wouldn't hold my breath on finding a useable match. Remember there can't be any threads where the shock rubber rests and the bolt has to go through the frame plate, not just be welded to its face. I've never seen over the counter bolts with a shoulder that big.

Keep in mind when the factory built these frames they didn't use an out of the box shouldered bolt for this piece, they took a piece of bar stock and then milled it and cut threads into it before welding it into the frame section.

you can try drilling out the mounting bracket to accept an Ironhead HD style shock bolt, but you would still need to reinforce the mount because that is a big hole.

Edited by Geeto67

• 2 weeks later...

Just so people know just in case they run into this problem.

I was able to find some stainless steel universal shock mounts from Dime City Cycles. I just bought some 309 stainless welding wire and MIG welded them in to the steel frame.

I should of used a TIG welder (which blew a fuse or something when I turned it on) for this for better looking welds but it turned out pretty good.