1980 VW Rabbit photos 10/17

Farkas

So this is my third time out taking photos and familiarized myself some more with Lightroom. Starting to find a style that I really like and learning how to get that "look" when I edit with all my photos. I love the vintage and faded look, as you can see. Also, I shot my VERY first portrait, which is my roommate who owns the car, as well as taking my very first roller shots.

The car is a 1980 VW Rabbit DLX. This was originally a diesel car that we swapped a MK3 2.0L ABA gas motor into. The original motor had a cracked block, so naturally this was the best and most reliable option. The car itself has a ton of character and it's making me want one, real bad.

Enjoy!

15373228729_ae991b7ac0_b.jpg

IMG_1030 by Farklefitment, on Flickr

15373832207_59235b65d7_b.jpg

IMG_1031 by Farklefitment, on Flickr

15559847035_b47173703b_b.jpg

IMG_1037 by Farklefitment, on Flickr

15373225819_d247b07d1d_b.jpg

IMG_1053 by Farklefitment, on Flickr

15373224399_131d93bace_b.jpg

IMG_1104 by Farklefitment, on Flickr

15373828827_d7cc5117b9_b.jpg

IMG_1115 by Farklefitment, on Flickr

15373224979_869cca4151_b.jpg

IMG_1078 by Farklefitment, on Flickr

Look good but has that "Instagram filter pics" look to them. If you like that then cool

I think you mean, this is the look filters on IG try to mimic.

This is my favorite editing style but I can't seem to perfect it in portraits.

Your editing like you've been doing this for years with these great photos

I'm flattered by this compliment, thank you. It's my favorite look on photos as well. Thankfully, my roommate knows his way around Lightroom and was able to give me some lessons, and then I spent a good part of the evening going to town.

Really really happy with how the portrait turned out for my first try.

Everybody has their own style when it comes to shooting. I can't edit for shit still and just try to make pictures suck less in post.

I will say this, when it comes to automotive pictures don't get stuck in a rut. No matter where I go shooting now I try to find something different to try. I have what I like but then I take a step back and try to see something nobody else would do.

At the NMCA race at Indy I went up into the stands and started shooting all over the the track, next thing I know all the NMCA Event people and The Block photographers where up there with me :)

Cool pics. Pre-insta these would be seen a little differently.

I think the shots have really angles/placement/lighting. I have seen some really bad "pro" photos.

Agreed.

Looking at these from a picture take perspective, they are great. The use of space adds to the shots, does not take away from them.

What needs to be in focus is and the background works with the picture, not against it. They fit "the look" that the editor was going for without looking to forced.

I like them, they look better than what I could do.

Agreed.

Looking at these from a picture take perspective, they are great. The use of space adds to the shots, does not take away from them.

What needs to be in focus is and the background works with the picture, not against it. They fit "the look" that the editor was going for without looking to forced.

I like them, they look better than what I could do.

Really appreciate that, wags. And you're right, I want to start trying some different stuff. I really enjoy the heavy vignette and "flat" looking photos where blacks are faded, but next time I go out, I plan on trying a new editing technique. It's all part of the learning process and I'm told I'll simply grow out of one style and pick up another. Technically there's no wrong way to do it, some are just more tasteful than others lol.

I just purchased a 5D classic and made the leap to full frame, so expect some more practice photos here soon!

Really appreciate that, wags. And you're right, I want to start trying some different stuff. I really enjoy the heavy vignette and "flat" looking photos where blacks are faded, but next time I go out, I plan on trying a new editing technique. It's all part of the learning process and I'm told I'll simply grow out of one style and pick up another. Technically there's no wrong way to do it, some are just more tasteful than others lol.

I just purchased a 5D classic and made the leap to full frame, so expect some more practice photos here soon!

I've learned that every picture tells a story and will require its own edit. Some things will need that flat look with the vignette, others need to have colors pop more, then some need to be in just black and white.

I want a 5d Mark III but can't shell out the cash for one right now. I need the full frame sensor for dim lighting at race tracks and the other crazy stuff I have to shoot when doing action work.

I've learned that every picture tells a story and will require its own edit. Some things will need that flat look with the vignette, others need to have colors pop more, then some need to be in just black and white.

I want a 5d Mark III but can't shell out the cash for one right now. I need the full frame sensor for dim lighting at race tracks and the other crazy stuff I have to shoot when doing action work.

lol, I'm just going to admit this now.. I have a slight OCD I need to overcome already. My OCD is telling me I want to edit all the photos exactly the same and keep the color profiles identical, but I'm learning that's not possible and I gotta take a step back and edit each photo on their own.

lol, I'm just going to admit this now.. I have a slight OCD I need to overcome already. My OCD is telling me I want to edit all the photos exactly the same and keep the color profiles identical, but I'm learning that's not possible and I gotta take a step back and edit each photo on their own.

I edit pictures like I play video games, just mash buttons and hope things turn out ok.

One other thing I like seeing is the details of cars. I love how Mike LaNasa (Aesthetic_Influx on here) will take a 1970's cracked steering wheel emblem and get the focus and lighting so right in a frame...

Props to photogs that turn the mundane and trivial details into something great to see!