Snow tires year-round?

zeitgeist57

I'm looking to put Cleetus (1982 Ford F100 2WD - 6cyl/3spd manual) into winter duty and need to replace the tired, dry-rotted Pep Boys Futura tires anyway. I only put maybe 2-3k miles on the truck a year. Also, it's lowered so I need 60-series sidewalls on the front to avoid fender rubbing.

Because of the limited miles and my focus on getting the best winter traction I can, does anyone use or recommend winter tires all year long? Was looking at some General Altimax Arctic's...

I'm aware that the tires won't wear as long during summer months, and warm handling is different, but this is Cleetus I'm talking about here, and the tires on it now are horrendous rocks made from recycled Chinese sex toys.

In the warmer/dry months it will just eat away at your tires much quicker, because the compound is so soft and made to resist 'freezing'. Steering response and ride will be extremely 'vague' all the time as it is with any winter tire on a car/truck/SUV

It isnt THAT bad year round. I see cars every now and then mid-summer with them...I just automatically think "WTF?". I drove my old Mini to South Carolina on snow tires...it just so happened to be 30 degrees here and 80 there!. They did just fine.. maybe a little more grip for the WV twisties lol

I differ with some of the opinions here. I think it depends on which winter tire you choose.

My winter-only Michelin X-Ice tires offer poor traction in the wet and sub-optimal traction on dry pavement. You can't beat them in ice or snow. I've driven for 12 years on (different sets of) these, and I've learned to use them for their intended purpose and to back-off considerably when off ice/snow.

I've seen Blizzacks used all year round and never heard if they had compromised traction when not on ice/snow.

Why not just use an all-season tire for the truck?

From Consumersearch.com, commenting on the X-Ice:

Performance

Terrific for severe ice and snow -- but not the best choice for mild winters. Expect outstanding grip on ice and snow: The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 outclasses all rivals on winter roads in professional tests. But on dry or wet pavement that is clear of snow and ice, the Michelin's performance isn't as strong. It suffers from long braking distances in test after test. This is common for severe-winter snow tires, though. If you usually drive on cleared roads, consider a mild-winter performance tire like the very well regarded, but pricy Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (Est. $225 and up) or the harder to find but more modestly priced Nokian WR G3 (Est. $120 and up).

Edited by Doc

You'll be fine. If you did what every $35k millionaire on here would suggest and get winter and summer tires for it, they would probably dry rot before you got to the wear bars with how many miles you put on them.

Thought I do agree with Doc also. Get a not so extreme winter tire and you should be fine.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I've seen Blizzacks used all year round and never heard if they had compromised traction when not on ice/snow.

^^ will definitely depend on the tire. I have LM-25's on the Speed 3 and on dry pavement it's easy to forget you're not on all season tires. Corners with little to no squish or movement and I have zero concerns about them on dry roads. They do very well in rain too. Mine are mounted and ready to test out and if the weather is clear Thursday, I'll be testing them out :)

I've had the older WS-60's on a Sedan and they were much squishier but still did great, even on cold dry roads.

It's a truck, get all terrain tires. BFGs are by far the best, but pricey. I had Nittos I think on the Jeep, pretty good and way cheaper. General Grabbers are alright, the set on my truck were installed in the late 90's and still going strong.

Kidding me right? Bfg a/t are not good for anything. Dry, snow, mud, rain, dirt. . And cup like a sunbich.

I would not run winter tires year round

I differ with some of the opinions here. I think it depends on which winter tire you choose.

My winter-only Michelin X-Ice tires offer poor traction in the wet and sub-optimal traction on dry pavement. You can't beat them in ice or snow. I've driven for 12 years on (different sets of) these, and I've learned to use them for their intended purpose and to back-off considerably when off ice/snow.

Why not just use an all-season tire for the truck?

From Consumersearch.com, commenting on the X-Ice:

Performance

Terrific for severe ice and snow -- but not the best choice for mild winters. Expect outstanding grip on ice and snow: The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 outclasses all rivals on winter roads in professional tests. But on dry or wet pavement that is clear of snow and ice, the Michelin's performance isn't as strong. It suffers from long braking distances in test after test. This is common for severe-winter snow tires, though. If you usually drive on cleared roads, consider a mild-winter performance tire like the very well regarded, but pricy Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (Est. $225 and up) or the harder to find but more modestly priced Nokian WR G3 (Est. $120 and up).

I run the X-Ice Xi3 as well and can comment they suck in the dry. I would not feel confident driving in warm temperatures with them on. Above 50F and you'll burn through the tire quick.

I was stuck once with winter tires and had to travel back from Dayton to Cleveland from school in 65F weather. By the end of the trip I could smell the burning rubber.

If you REALLY want to go this route, go with a Blizzak LM tire or similar. They are meant to see higher temperatures (as well as better dry/wet performance) for sacrificing ice and snow grip

I ran my Blizzaks on my Supra in the summer because I was too cheap for new ones, they actually wore well and didn't exhibit near the wear I anticipated given my driving. I think you'll be okay, especially since you don't really got out carving corners in it and you only toot around town in it.

I ran snow tires year round on my old Dodge since it's main purpose was a winter truck and the rest of the year it saw minimal use. Yes they make a ton of noise in the summer, they're squishy, but they will not burn up or melt. You're driving an old truck so the performance of the tire shouldn't be too noticeable and if you're not putting a ton of miles on it you'll be fine with the wear.

Yes they make a ton of noise in the summer, they're squishy, but they will not burn up or melt. You're driving an old truck so the performance of the tire shouldn't be too noticeable and if you're not putting a ton of miles on it you'll be fine with the wear.

yup.

hey Clay I have snows bro! firestone, winterforce, blizzaks, dunlops, michelin, general.. you name it!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: After Derek's boys at Best One hooked Cleetus up with Firestone Winterforces, I'm very happy to report that snow tires are truly one of the best investments I've ever made from an automotive standpoint. With the few icy mornings we've had over the last couple of months, traction has been slippery but fine, when I've seen other cars and SUVs sideways on the road.

This morning's snowfall brought some trepidation about driving Cleetus to work. However, with this light, fluffy snowfall, I had ZERO traction issues on unplowed sidestreets, and slippery highways. While I am cheap, I am also pragmatic...and my appreciation for the improved capabilities of my tee-ruk with snows is big right now.

If you're reading this and you're concerned about your own vehicle's performance in this poor weather (and we all know this is just the beginning of a looooong winter!), PLEASE consider getting some snow tires right now. Don't look at some SUV for sale online; keep the car you have an enjoy, and get snows for the season!