College Football Thread v7.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oregon looks really fucking good. They just curbstomped (1) a highly ranked team (2) in a championship game (3) in likely the best league in football this year (4) and a team that had beaten them previously. It erases any and all doubt who the best team in the Pac12 is and, in my mind, erases any doubt that Oregon can easily win this whole thing. They are finally playing defense - which makes them look just about unstoppable. I'm a closet Oregon fan, so I'm happy to see them playing this well.

And Mariota probably (and deservedly) wrapped up the Heisman last night. He has been flawless all year long.

Will Oregon be #1 or will committee leave them at 2 so they can have a game out west?

Great question - I contemplated the same thing. It certainly creates a conundrum. Oregon likely deserves to be #1 (regardless of what Alabama or anyone else does today), as they look to be playing the best and will have the best resume. However, making them #1 punishes them by forcing them to play in the Sugar Bowl when the Rose Bowl would be far more convenient for them. If this were BB, then it's a no-brainer: Oregon would be the overall #1 seed and would get placed in the West bracket. I bet the committee will wish it had the power to select which teams play in which bowls - that is, they'll regret being locked in to sending #1 vs. #4 to the Rose Bowl.

#1. They looked damn good last night. Absolutely steamrolled Arizona.

My predictions for today:

TCU beats Iowa by several possessions.

Alabama barely beats Mizzou

Florida loses to GT by 1 possession

Baylor beats KS

Ohio State loses by 1 possession (Hoping i'm wrong)

Which leaves....

Oregon

Alabama

TCU

Baylor

#1. They looked damn good last night. Absolutely steamrolled Arizona.

My predictions for today:

TCU beats Iowa by several possessions.

Alabama barely beats Mizzou

Florida loses to GT by 1 possession

Baylor beats KS

Ohio State loses by 1 possession (Hoping i'm wrong)

Which leaves....

Oregon

Alabama

TCU

Baylor/Ohio state (to be determined by committee.)

1. You mean touchdowns, not "possessions" - right?

2. If Ohio State loses, then there's no way they are still in consideration for #4 slot.

As far as OSU/Wisc, I think it all comes down to QB play. Talented yet unproven Cardale and weirdo inconsistent basket case Stave. I have more confidence in Cardale who hasn't started a game since high school than I do in Stave, which is why I think OSU will win. As good as Gordon is, all it takes is one Stave meltdown (think Knoblauch/Ankiel) and they are toast.

My mighty badgers are going to play lights out ball. Gordon rushes for 357 yards today. Cardale turns the ball over 3 times and OSU will be held to 17 points.

Bama is going to destroy Mizzou today and going to show everyone why we are the #1 team in the country.

By 8:17 tonight all you Osu fans will not even care about the game because bama will have won , Oregon won, TCU won Baylor won and who cares about FSU. All the playoff spots will be filled. If you do win you can be champions on one of the worst conferences there is.

Roll Tide

so what do you folks think needs to happen for us to get #4?

I think there's a shot (50 percent, if I had to put odds on it) we get in with a win, regardless of what everyone else does - provided that the committee puts their money where their mouth has been all year long and they give preference to conference champions (and champions who won through a championship game). I believe Ohio State will have the better SOS (vs. either Baylor or TCU) and they will be the only one of those three to have played in a conference championship. So, on paper, there's reason to argue they deserve to be in over either of those teams. The problem, of course, is Ohio State's loss, which is worse than either Baylor's or TCU's - however, the committee could easily list the losses as being as lesser importance than other things, like SOS and overall body of work.

If TCU loses, we are in.

If Florida State loses, I would assume we are in (barring some catastrophic, weird scenario in which the committee put both Baylor and TCU in and left us out).

If Bama loses, I would assume we are in (barring the committee keeping Bama in and only dropping them to #4).

Baylor winning today helps keep the pressure on the committee to not put TCU in above them in the final rankings. That, in a weird way, helps Ohio State, since Baylor is below Ohio State. Thus, logic would dictate if Baylor must be over TCU (by virtue of head to head), and Ohio State must be over Baylor (by virtue of SOS), then Ohio State must be over TCU.

Alternately, if Baylor loses today, then it weakens TCU's SOS and further exacerbates their only loss. That could be enough to vault Ohio State up above TCU even with a TCU win.

Who knew we would care this much about Baylor football at the beginning of the season?

My mighty badgers are going to play lights out ball. Gordon rushes for 357 yards today. Cardale turns the ball over 3 times and OSU will be held to 17 points.

Your mighty Badgers? Sooo you're not really a Bama fan, just a fan of whatever decent team plays OSU, right? And exactly 357 yards.....ok, good call Nostradamus

Your mighty Badgers? Sooo you're not really a Bama fan, just a fan of whatever decent team plays OSU, right? And exactly 357 yards.....ok, good call Nostradamus

Oh I'm a bama fan. But my second love is any team that plays OSU. Today I'm proud to like the Badgers.

And I would like to erase my $50 deficit to Mr Pomade.