College Football Thread v7.0

bicranium

I don't know what you guys are so riled about with SVP's comment. He's kinda right. I wouldn't say the biggest in 30 years, but this is easily the biggest game since the Florida NCG. We have one game to completely silence all B1G haters (and really, we're representing the entire anti-SEC nation here, Buckeye fans or not) by going head-to-head with a team whom many consider the best overall of the BCS+ era. Granted, the entire backstory is completely created by ESPN bias, but to say it's not there is ignorant. We have a lot to prove, a lot to argue for, and a chance to do it. Lose this game embarrassingly and you bet the haters will be out in droves wondering why TCU or Baylor didn't get our spot, and calling the B1G weak.

This is absolutely a big game, and I'd be willing to bet it has more viewers than the championship. I'd even go as far as saying this is probably about to be the single most watched college football game to date.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes sense to me too. Curious about the Barrett/Jones situation next year more.

If Braxton stays, then I see Jones leaving as he'll be back to 3rd string. Maybe he simply loves Ohio State and just stays for the sake of staying, who knows. We could lose 2 qb's next year to the NFL as Barrett will be eligible to enter the draft as a rSO. Then Jones would be the starter in 2016 should he decide to stay. College football is a crazy thing, just when you think you know whats going to happen, 5 other things occur and nothing you thought to be, ends up being.

Andrew, I agree. I'm as big of a Buckeye fan as you'll ever meet, but this game has a special meaning. Aside from this season, we haven't showed up to big games for years. This is both a proving game for Ohio State and for the B1G.

I don't think it's the biggest game in 30 years, but this game is incredibly important. After we have shit down our legs in the past 5-7 big games (again, except for this season (less VT)), we NEED to prove something this game.

The big game stigma only came about after OSU's loss to Florida in 06 really. Once ESPN started sucking off the SEC rather than Texas and USC it was game over for the public image of Ohio State haha.

2014: #8 Michigan State, #13 Wisconsin (both wins)

2013: #10 Michigan State, #8 Clemson (both losses)

2012: NONE

2011: #12 Wisconsin (win) Florida (loss) but was this really a big game?

2010: #12 Miami (win) #12 Arkansas (win)

2009: #3 USC (loss) #11 Penn State (win) #11 Oregon (win)

2008: #1 USC and #3 Penn State (loss) #4 Texas (loss)

2007: #2 LSU (loss)

2006: #2 Texas and #2 Michigan (wins) #2 Florida (loss)

2005: #1 Texas (loss) #9 Notre Dame (win)

2004: #7 Michigan (win) Oklahoma St (win)

2003: #9 Iowa (win) #5 Michigan (loss) #14 Kansas St (win)

2002: #1 Miami (win) #10 Washington St (win) #11 Michigan (win)

17-11, 17-10 if you don't include Florida in 2011 as a big game since 2002

I honestly think that after 2006, you need to throw out conference games. No one outside of the B1G thinks that there ARE any "big games" in the B1G, and if MSU and Wisky both lose, they'll have that much more ammo. It honestly doesn't even matter what happens in the rest of the bowls for the B1G this year. Those two games, and ours, will make or break the rep of the B1G for next year. And if we don't beat Bama, then no one is going to give a damn about the rest of our year at all. We don't even need to win the NC, we just HAVE to beat Bama to have any credibility going forward.

Recruiting update...

With 4* OH RB LJ Scott allowing his much less talented brother dictate his future, Scott is standing firm with MSU. So the predicted switch of former UM commit 4* MI RB Mike Weber and current OSU commit 3* MI DL Josh Alabi to MSU is not going to happen. Meyer and Coombs were in Detroit today to visit with both of them and Weber changed his official visit this weekend from ND to OSU. Draw your own conclusions from that...

Also, as was rumored early on with regards to 4* TN OT Drew Richmond, there was no way he was getting through OSU's admissions. That's why he committed to Ole Miss but at his announcement said he'd always be a Buckeye at heart and that's why he ended up not visiting here for The Game and Mirko Jurkovic ended up getting a committable offer and taking it.