Does anybody understand the attraction to trikes?

magley64

I seen 3 "touring trikes" on my ride yesterday...

my question is simple...Why?

I just don't see the point 017.gif

you steer like a car, you have a big windsheild in front of you, big cushy seats...

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to buy a miata or buy a Jeep Cj/Wrangler and remove the doors?

Then you don't have to worry about helmet laws, (anywhere) you can put the top back up whenever the weather turns inclament, (or don't, if you like the rain) you don't have to worry about special licensing...

I'm just curious what the attraction is... Handle bars?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know either. I ended up behind one when I was traveling SE yesterday. He was nice enough to wave me around before it got twisty. Never saw him again.

BTW you steer WAY worse than a car. It makes absolutely no sense from a physics standpoint to have that tiny contact patch up front and two tires out back.

So no, I don't understand it either.

The few I have seen have all been ridden by older guys. My guess is that they rode for years, but are now physically unable to ride. They don't want to give up a bike, so they move to a trike that they are able to handle. Just my opinion.

thats what id say. cant ride a bike normal, but dont wanna give up riding. so convert so they can still enjoy it.

The few I have seen have all been ridden by older guys. My guess is that they rode for years, but are now physically unable to ride. They don't want to give up a bike, so they move to a trike that they are able to handle. Just my opinion.

I know a old guy that own a trike just for this reason. He is cool as hell and has tons of stories and loves to ride. Just cant do it with 2 wheels anymore.

Why is it so hard to understand... its not like you see a bunch of young people riding them. They are senior citizens right? Well...

I know a lot of older people that used to be up on two wheels, now they have some physical aliment and can't or just don't trust two wheels so they get a trike to still be able to get some pleasure of riding a motorcycle. DUH!

Why is it so hard to understand... its not like you see a bunch of young people riding them. They are senior citizens right? Well...

I know a lot of older people that used to be up on two wheels, now they have some physical aliment and can't or just don't trust two wheels so they get a trike to still be able to get some pleasure of riding a motorcycle. DUH!

but it ISN'T a motorcycle anymore, it's a car with handlebars...

and a poorly performing one at that...

Like Nochknstrps said, there are some people who ride them because they are handicapped and can't operate/balance a regular 2 wheeled bike. I used to know an older gentlemen who had ridden most of his life, as he got older he lost his balance and was no longer able to hold a motorcycle upright so he got a trike kit for it. I also saw a guy on one in a parking lot who got off and had to use a walker to keep his balance. Both of these guys were obviously on trikes because of physical handicaps. Aside from that reason I'm not sure why anyone would rather be on three wheels.

Edited by S-13

Here you go; it’s from the Columbus Biker site

I live in southeastern Ohio. Iam 61 yrs old and only been ridding for two years. I ride a 2006 goldwing trike. Iam in a wheelchair but I love to ride. My wife rides also. We joined the goldwing chapter here but they do not ride very much. If there is any one out there that rides just let me know or if there is a club close let me know.

Lyndse and I met a couple from PA yesterday on our ride. We had just gotten ridiculed by some Harley guys for our leathers when this couple rode up on a very shiny Goldwing trike.

Harley riders might as well ride trikes if ya think about it.

BTW when someone makes fun of you for wearing leathers how badly do you just want to tell them they're an idiot with the worst words possible?

I'm not saying people shoudln't ride a trike, I'm just saying I have no idea why they'd want to...

it's not a bike anymore, it's a car with forks and handlebars...

if you're too old to ride, there are better options than a rickety trike... That's all I'm really saying.

BTW when someone makes fun of you for wearing leathers how badly do you just want to tell them they're an idiot with the worst words possible?

:plus1: Kinda makes you want to reach over and kick the back of their front fender, or grab their handlebar and pull back as hard as you can...

walk over to their rashed up body and say "yup, leathers do look better than road rash"

err..i mean...no i wouldn't think of doing such a thing

Starts @ $17699 for the SE5 model per Google (which is your friend).

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2009/can_am/spyder/roadster_se5/32582/05/index.html

I don't think I'd ride one of those... it's not like a motorcycle... no lean, I imagine it's like a snowmobile, it wants to throw you off.

(shrug) I don't really understand why someone would want to ride a XX or a 'Busa but I wouldn't say it isn't a motorcycle.

Also' date=' those fancy CanAm thingies are 'spensive. Dude told me yesterday he paid $25k for his 'Wing. How much do those Spyders cost?[/quote']

The defining point of a motorcycle (to me) is simply the act of countersteering...

if you countersteer, you qualify...scooters qualify, but their defining point is the footwell instead of pegs...

spyders run 16k range i believe