Columbus Police Helicopters- help?

mrs.cos

I have a complaint but dont want to sound like a crazy person.

Recently- Columbus police are using thier damn helicopters for every damn thing under the sun in my neighbhood.

We arent a high crime area, we actually have one ofhte lowest crime rates in columbus from what i am to understand.. So this is a bit of a double edged sword.

4 days ago, they were searching the golf course at 11pm at night with the spotlight and buzzing our neighborhood

Today, a vacant house had a door open so they were buzzing my street, why not just send a squad car to check things out?

its putting the neighborhood into a bit of a panic mode, and gets peopled riled up.

two weeks ago, the CPD had a domestic incident as well in the neighborhood and there were officers walking around with thier AK/M4 or whatever it is they carry when they bring the Van out. There were like 10 cop cars and its just felt like a lot of drama lately.

So.. Do i put in a complaint about OVER use of the helicopters here? I like knowing they are using everything at thier disposal to keep our area safe, but it just seems like overkill lately.

Also, does anyone know if there are contacts in place for BlockWatch people to contact at the CPD?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do i sound like i am overreacting?

i dont want them to stop taking care of our area, i just .. it feels overwhelming to the mental well being and "feel good" feeling of my community. It actually makes us feel unsafe.

Does this happen often like this or just this one time with these sets of events ?

I have a complaint but dont want to sound like a crazy person.

Recently- Columbus police are using thier damn helicopters for every damn thing under the sun in my neighbhood.

We arent a high crime area, we actually have one ofhte lowest crime rates in columbus from what i am to understand.. So this is a bit of a double edged sword.

4 days ago, they were searching the golf course at 11pm at night with the spotlight and buzzing our neighborhood

Today, a vacant house had a door open so they were buzzing my street, why not just send a squad car to check things out?

its putting the neighborhood into a bit of a panic mode, and gets peopled riled up.

two weeks ago, the CPD had a domestic incident as well in the neighborhood and there were officers walking around with thier AK/M4 or whatever it is they carry when they bring the Van out. There were like 10 cop cars and its just felt like a lot of drama lately.

So.. Do i put in a complaint about OVER use of the helicopters here? I like knowing they are using everything at thier disposal to keep our area safe, but it just seems like overkill lately.

Also, does anyone know if there are contacts in place for BlockWatch people to contact at the CPD?

The helicopter is already in the air, it is like a roving police car, they can cover the city if other units are tied up and put an eye on the situation.

CPD is super busy (always), generally officers start their shift 10 calls behind and finish their shift the same way, it is generally a call to call job with no real break in the action, so if officers are tied up, and they need eyes on something, they will have one of their air units give it a look see.

See i mostly agree with you guys, but they are flying so low over the houses that they are shaking the houses.. Its not like a fly over..

its been VERY frequent lately-- like at least 5 times int he last two weeks.

We've been here 12 years now and its never been like this before.

See i mostly agree with you guys, but they are flying so low over the houses that they are shaking the houses.. Its not like a fly over..

its been VERY frequent lately-- like at least 5 times int he last two weeks.

We've been here 12 years now and its never been like this before.

Then yes i woudl say your over reacting. If its something that is consistent and has always happened then i would be be concerned, im sure it will pass. Sucks but i guess its better to have them wake you by flying over, vs you getting awaken by a burgler.

They did this to me for three weeks this summer. We had a lot of car break ins leading up to this, after the attention I can't think of a one.

I guess my point is ride it out, they will go away at some point.

Im sure the reason you saw an officer with a rifle was because the domestic probably involved someone at the address threatening the use of a gun. The chopper has the best vantage point so if someone called in about a burglary to a vacant structure the chopper can keep an eye if someone bolts out the door and runs. Chopper also has flir so it can see heat signatures... its hard to see people at night.

You don't sound sound like you are over-reacting... You sound like a little bitch.

They are doing their jobs, if people are worked-up about it then they sound like "little bitches" too.

Reality is, you could complain to the CPD, and they aren't going to do anything... Other then think you are a little bitch.

Either way you slice it, your man card gets pulled.

My advice, buy a gun and a chest rig. Sounds like you livin on Crenshaw. Y'gon need it playa.

You don't sound sound like you are over-reacting... You sound like a little bitch.

They are doing their jobs, if people are worked-up about it then they sound like "little bitches" too.

Reality is, you could complain to the CPD, and they aren't going to do anything... Other then think you are a little bitch.

My advice, buy a gun and a chest rig. Sounds like you livin on Crenshaw. Y'gon need it playa.

Classy

Going to be hard to take HER man card.... :dumb:

I know about this incident... a shady person was walking around your neighborhood with a gun looking in people's houses, cars and garages. The cops were called by someone I won't mention and the guy was eventually chased out into the golf course by a homeowner who found the guy going through stuff in his garage. I'm surprised you didn't hear the gunshot.

Do you have any concept of how expensive it actually is to fly that helicopter? I'm pretty sure they're not out joyriding and buzzing your neighborhood to get on your nerves, Trish.

I know about this incident... a shady person was walking around your neighborhood with a gun looking in people's houses, cars and garages. The cops were called by someone I won't mention and the guy was eventually chased out into the golf course by a homeowner who found the guy going through stuff in his garage. I'm surprised you didn't hear the gunshot.

Do you have any concept of how expensive it actually is to fly that helicopter? I'm pretty sure they're not out joyriding and buzzing your neighborhood to get on your nerves, Trish.

No one in out FB group has mentioned anything about such an incident.

It's hard not to feel panicky when your entire neighborhood is feeling panicky about situation and is voicing it daily - that's kind of why I came here to see if I was just falling into mob mentality or if I really should be concerned about the criminal activity in our neighborhood.

I tend to be a rational person, so it's not like me to feel panicked.

As far as my "man card" goes, i'm a woman in the car scene who runs a fairly decent sized niche group. I'm not concerned about needing to hand it in. ;) not much said in here is gonna rile me up

LOL Trish. Quit being a little bitch and turn in your man card!

Hey, could you give it to me? Mine could use updating with some of your skills!

You've probably been sneak'n round the neighborhood taking unauthorized car pics, and finally got busted!