Someone tell me what I am missing....

coltboostin

So this nerd

http://uiartstalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/markus-persson.jpg

Created this generic ass web site/team

https://mojang.com/

Which has this simple, stupid phone game as its crowning achievement

https://minecraft.net/

And somehow sells it to Microsoft for 2.5 Billion Fucking Dollars?

Then, buys the most expensive house in Beverly Hills....

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/rmadgpsgoogjvecxd5nu.jpg

http://kotaku.com/minecrafts-creator-buy-the-most-expensive-house-in-beve-1672978154

Dafuq am I missing here????

Minecraft is bigger than every thing you were into as a kid combined. It's a huge cultural phenomenon. Never played it but that is how it was described to me.

DING DING DING

Of all the games I have ever seen people play, this one covers the largest demographic. My 7 year old plays it.... and I know 60 year olds who play it.

Also for what it's worth it was a pc game and went mobile and what not after partially selling. Some of the biggest keys is that he kept ownership of the game looong after many others would sell. He turned down many many millions in offers to get to this point. I've played many hours of mine craft years ago, it's a great, clean, simple concept that allows for alot of creativity. Heck, many creative based companies were encouraging their employees to play. Also $20 beats the hell out of $60 plus 12 $15 dlc packs like many other games have gone to.

Minecraft is bigger than every thing you were into as a kid combined. It's a huge cultural phenomenon. Never played it but that is how it was described to me.

Am I the only person that things no video game should be a "cultural phenomenon"? This is the first time I have heard of it-and after watching the previews/game-play on youtube, it looks like I have not been missing anything.

Also $20 beats the hell out of $60 plus 12 $15 dlc packs like many other games have gone to.

Wait- you have to pay $20 for this game?!?!?! LOL

We are fucking doomed.

Am I the only person that things no video game should be a "cultural phenomenon"? This is the first time I have heard of it-and after watching the previews/game-play on youtube, it looks like I have not been missing anything.

Wait- you have to pay $20 for this game?!?!?! LOL

We are fucking doomed.

Its essentially virtual legos. You pay a 1 time fee of 20 bucks for a license and you get unlimited access to whatever your imagination has to offer. I played briefly back when it was in beta, but decided to give my account to someone a few years younger than me. One tiny set of legos these days is 20 bucks so 20 bucks really isnt that bad.

Am I the only person that things no video game should be a "cultural phenomenon"?

I would say the NES and Super Mario Brothers was a "cultural phenomenon" in the 1980's and 1990's. Remember the movies The Wizard, Super Mario Bros. movie, Super Mario Brothers Super Show Cartoon, Mario Bros. Cereal, etc....

Its essentially virtual legos. You pay a 1 time fee of 20 bucks for a license and you get unlimited access to whatever your imagination has to offer. I played briefly back when it was in beta, but decided to give my account to someone a few years younger than me. One tiny set of legos these days is 20 bucks so 20 bucks really isnt that bad.

Legos are insane money, I feel bad for my parents I had endless Legos as a child and rarely touched them as I was always outside. I just picked up two Lego sets for someone's birthday and it was over $200 for two small sets. That's the business I want to be in!

I would say the NES and Super Mario Brothers was a "cultural phenomenon" in the 1980's and 1990's. Remember the movies The Wizard, Super Mario Bros. movie, Super Mario Brothers Super Show Cartoon, Mario Bros. Cereal, etc....

Yes, Mario brothers was epic (still is IMO) but to only very young people of that age who all (hopefully) grew out of it and stepped into adulthood. Point being video game play at this level is very juvenile.

The popularity on this game IMO shows how far our society has come in the IT age, and in this case its movement in the wrong direction.

Yes, Mario brothers was epic (still is IMO) but to only very young people of that age who all (hopefully) grew out of it and stepped into adulthood. Point being video game play at this level is very juvenile.

The popularity on this game IMO shows how far our society has come in the IT age, and in this case its movement in the wrong direction.

Sorry to see you feel that way grandpa. Also I hear the railroad's coming through here any day now. That's gonna be big! Streets paved with actual street!

My neighbor's little boy is obsessed with this stupid shit, he's like 8. Every birthday, holiday, etc. I ask him what he wants and he lights up and starts blabbering off Minecraft horseshit. He gets it, then wants to show me, and it's some janky ass plastic block thing that his parents paid like $30 for. He can't ride his bike without training wheels, rarely spends time outside, and his dad doesn't have any tools.

My boy is 2 1/2, stacks and builds real things with his real blocks, loves spending time in the garage, constantly wants to use my tools, and stacks up piles of sticks just to run over that shit with his Cummins power wheel. Call me behind times at 27, but he will not be playing that crap. My neighbor's boy may be a rich computer dork, but my son will have some balls and know how to work on and fix physical objects.

My neighbor's little boy is obsessed with this stupid shit, he's like 8. Every birthday, holiday, etc. I ask him what he wants and he lights up and starts blabbering off Minecraft horseshit. He gets it, then wants to show me, and it's some janky ass plastic block thing that his parents paid like $30 for. He can't ride his bike without training wheels, rarely spends time outside, and his dad doesn't have any tools.

My boy is 2 1/2, stacks and builds real things with his real blocks, loves spending time in the garage, constantly wants to use my tools, and stacks up piles of sticks just to run over that shit with his Cummins power wheel. Call me behind times at 27, but he will not be playing that crap. My neighbor's boy may be a rich computer dork, but my son will have some balls and know how to work on and fix physical objects.

So are you blaming the kid or the parent? Kind of hard to put blame on the kid for not using his dads tools and playing with physical blocks when his dad's a fag and doesn't own any of that stuff.

So are you blaming the kid or the parent? Kind of hard to put blame on the kid for not using his dads tools and playing with physical blocks when his dad's a fag and doesn't own any of that stuff.

Lol. Really not blaming either, just saying from my perspective, I don't want my child to get into Minecraft. Neighbor boy loves it, good for him, but he's just so consumed with it that he seems to have no interest in the real world. I realize we're living in a computerized world now, but there should be a balance with the virtual world and the real world.