'57 Chevy Bel Air smokes motorcycle

DSM1290

sv 650 is an 11 sec bike at a track, prepped, with Rickey Gadson riding. In any old Joe Schmoe's hands it is a 13-14 second bike. And that's from a standing start. Roll on power is not the sv's strong suit - it's a torque down low v-twin mill, not a high rev-ing street legal road racer.

The chevy got the jump so he was already out ahead, the sv rider was slow to roll on the power (if you jump fast on a v-twin like that it tends to point the front wheel skyward), and the rest is exactly what it looks like when an 11 second car pulls away from a 14 second vehicle.

High-11 seconds on a bike is stupid slow. Furthermore, the rider clearly doesn't know how to race (shifting 4 times in like 7 seconds? Not tucking your body? Nope.). I'm sure that even in a perfect world, this Bel-Air would still beat this bike, but any 600cc supersport would walk this thing for breakfast without even trying.

So what you're saying is the car is pretty fast?

are 11 second street cars all that fast these days?

I remember when an 11 second street car would put you near the upper echelon of street racing, and I came from an area where we had guys like Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd and Tab Talmadge.

Now everybody with an LSx swap is knocking on the 11's, often in cars with no more safety equipment than lap belts. Street cars? real street race cars? that's a single digit proposition. If drag week is to be believed the party doesn't even start till you are in the 8's.

Bikes? now a moderately fast street bike is capable of 9 second 1/4 mile times. and that is assuming you can setup and handle riding one of those machines at their acceleration limit. If you ever see what goes into drag racing a motorcycle, there is a hell of a lot of prep just to keep you from looping the thing.

11's? I'd say the car is pretty quick, but not "fast". But it's all semantics.