2013 Mustang GT Premium Mod Path???

Robert Aaron Parsons

Hey guys!

I've been away for a while driving a Camry thanks to a failed engagement. I just purchased an extremely low mile, 1 owner, 2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium that is in pristine condition. The previous owner did add a Borla exhaust (not sure which Borla) but it is otherwise stock.

I am an import guy by nature as many of you know but I thought I'd try a V8 muscle car with modern ammenities. The car is a blast to drive!

I have been digging around on the net trying to learn as much as I can about modding 2013 Mustangs and am not sure what to do next.

Any experts on here? What are the weak spots on the 2013 GT? Where would you start or what path would you take modding the car?

Thanks,

Pavo (Aaron Parsons)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually leaning towards suspension and brakes. Tires on the car are actually pretty good. I need to go out and look at specific make of tires. Any suspension or brake suggestions?

P.S. thanks for the feedback so far all!

Pavo

The usual, springs/shocks/sways and whatever those things are called that keep the stick in the rear from sucking a bit...

Read the mustang forums, but a no brainer solution is the Ford Motorsport suspension kits.

Unless you road course, I'd think really good pads, and fluid would be fine, maybe lines if the pedal feel needs work. ATE 200 gold fluid is fine, with a Carbotech pad should be enough?

So far we have the same exact car down to the color, mods, and options. Weird.

A part of me wants to spend thousands on suspension junk, but since I mainly drive it to work I think I'd get more kicks from bolt-on power upgrades for now (intake, intake manifold, headers, and a tune). After that, some wider wheels/tires will be needed followed by some stiffer struts and other bits.. then possibly some boost after I get bored of all that.

So far we have the same exact car down to the color, mods, and options. Weird.

A part of me wants to spend thousands on suspension junk, but since I mainly drive it to work I think I'd get more kicks from bolt-on power upgrades for now (intake, intake manifold, headers, and a tune). After that, some wider wheels/tires will be needed followed by some stiffer struts and other bits.. then possibly some boost after I get bored of all that.

That is weird. I'd love to get the car up on the lift to see if it is axle back or cat back exhaust. Pretty sure it's cat back. I'd like to see if anything else was done too.

I'm going through the same predicament as it is my daily driver (less than six miles round trip). I'm hoping for cat back so I only have to add long tube headers, intake, manifold and a tune. But part of me wants better brakes and suspension.

Would the motor need built to throw on a turbo?

Pavo

Good move on not getting married, as well as the switch to domestic vehicles. You won't regret either decision. I'm not as up to date on the newer 5.0's, but suspension should be a no-brainer. Upgrade to the brembo brakes, if the car didn't come with them. If you're staying n/a, the motor loves a boss intake, tune, and longtubes. If boosted, you should be able to go low boost 6psi and be fine with the stock bottom end. The trans becomes the weak point.

I also own a GT. 2014, Sterling Grey, black leather. Weird.

Boost it. I've got a Roush Phase 3 Kit for sale if you're interested. Made 600/540 on 8.4 psi. No built motor needed.

http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/2011-2014-Ford-Mustang-GT-Supercharger-ROUSH-Phase-3-675.html

Only has 400 miles on the setup.

Other than that, suspension is the way to go. I've got a full BMR setup going on here in the next few weeks

Edited by Stretch

Turbos are always a good thing, and i hear theres a guy on here that sells them for that car

I could not agree more!

With the correct setup, you can put a factory long block 5.0 into the 9's. Thats getting more serious on the mod list but we do have daily driven cars with bone stock long blocks all the way down into the 9.60's now(20k miles w/ turbos to this point and true daily driver). Really just depends how serious you want to get and what your looking for

I have nothing to add other than congrats on the new whip. I thought about you a couple days ago as I haven't seen you around much, and was wondering what you have been up to.

Hello my friend! I've been super busy finishing my MBA and working obnoxious hours. I still love imports at heart bug wanted to try something different. Mustang is a great car that I am enjoying.

I'd love to pick the supercharger kit up but that's a bit out of my price range at the moment. Not sure what a turbo kit goes for.

I am thinking brakes, intake, suspension, headers, tune but in pieces.

Any recommendations on a good local mustang shop?

Thanks,

Pavo

3:73 gears,

John Lund ghost cam 91 octane tune,

eibach lowering springs

Adjustable panhard bar

CAI of your choice (American muscle offers a sct tuner/CAI combo)

Barton Shifter

EBC green stuff brake pads

These are the basics. I had Toyo Proxes tires on my car and I loved them. Good handling in the wet and amazing in the dry.

Hello my friend! I've been super busy finishing my MBA and working obnoxious hours. I still love imports at heart bug wanted to try something different. Mustang is a great car that I am enjoying.

I'd love to pick the supercharger kit up but that's a bit out of my price range at the moment. Not sure what a turbo kit goes for.

I am thinking brakes, intake, suspension, headers, tune but in pieces.

Any recommendations on a good local mustang shop?

Thanks,

Pavo

Call Brady at Pick ups Plus Cars, they can do basically any work you need and follow it up with a tune. That will be the best bang for your buck

Forgot about gears; that's a big one. Even though they don't MAKE more power, they use what power you have more effectively on the bottom end. Really ups the seat-of-the-pants factor.

How difficult/expensive is it to have the gears changed? I can't do trans work. I've read a lot about the better gears and think that's high on the priority list.

Thanks!

Pavo

Call Brady at Pick ups Plus Cars, they can do basically any work you need and follow it up with a tune. That will be the best bang for your buck

Thanks for the recommendation! This would all be easier and in my wheel house if it was an import. :) Hard to beat that V8 Coyote sound though.

Pavo