2013 Mustang GT Premium Mod Path???

Robert Aaron Parsons

How difficult/expensive is it to have the gears changed? I can't do trans work. I've read a lot about the better gears and think that's high on the priority list.

Thanks!

Pavo

Relatively not bad. I've read elsewhere people paying under $600 for all (Ford) parts, gear fluid, and labor.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How difficult/expensive is it to have the gears changed? I can't do trans work. I've read a lot about the better gears and think that's high on the priority list.

Thanks!

Pavo

It's tricky to get them in just right, so you need someone who knows what they are doing. I'll second Brady at PPC.

My Bullitt originally came with 3.73's from Ford, so I didn't have to have that done.

Any idea where that may be? I looked around last night with a flashlight in the dark but didn't see anything. I don't see the light of day much because of work so that was the only option I had.

I may call PPC and see if they will take a quick look and give me their opinion.

Pavo

I took the Mustang over to PPC in Hilliard today for an appointment to check the Mustang out with Nick. I have to say PPC's reputation is well earned. I had an appointment at 1 but when I walked in there were at least 10 people walking around and the phone ringing off the hook.

I approached the counter and told them I was there and Nick immediately shook my hand and asked for the keys. Five minutes later he had me in the back and we spent at least 25 minutes talking about what he saw on the car and what I wanted to do with it.

Nick was the nicest guy and didn't rush me one bit while answering all my questions. They have definitely earned some business. I was very impressed.

The good news... Bone stock other than a full cat back Borla exhaust.

Let the modding begin!

Pavo

Pavo, you know your heart still belongs to auto DSM's...and one day, you will return.

This happened last night. These two guys have been talking some serious sh*t to each other for the last couple weeks. Well, it finally went down last night. I don't like the guy that drives the Talon, but he whoops the sh*t out of this modded V. Guy in the V was going on and on about how the DSM's "ass was about to get drug."

Needless to say, that's not what happened.

The other vid is from the finish but is on FB, not youtube. DSM has him beat by over a bus. I guess CTS-V was spinning through 3rd. Supposedly 700whp. I believe that a roll race would have had drastically different outcome. Good race either way though.

I may be running that V on the 21st, so we will see what happens. I'm not as fast as the DSM in that vid, so it should be a much closer race, and i'll be on street tires.

The other vid is from the finish but is on FB, not youtube. DSM has him beat by over a bus. I guess CTS-V was spinning through 3rd. Supposedly 700whp. I believe that a roll race would have had drastically different outcome. Good race either way though.

I may be running that V on the 21st, so we will see what happens. I'm not as fast as the DSM in that vid, so it should be a much closer race, and i'll be on street tires.

My heart will ALWAYS be with 1g A/T DSM's my friend. The hole shot on an auto DSM is hard to beat with a heavily modded DSM.

Cool video!

Pavo

My heart will ALWAYS be with 1g A/T DSM's my friend. The hole shot on an auto DSM is hard to beat with a heavily modded DSM.

Cool video!

Pavo

Yeah, that thing moves out. Launches hard. He was fortunate enough when he bought that car to have a precision converter that came with it, which is no longer made. It's an HX40 no nitrous car, and was on street tires in that race.

Yeah, that thing moves out. Launches hard. He was fortunate enough when he bought that car to have a precision converter that came with it, which is no longer made. It's an HX40 no nitrous car, and was on street tires in that race.

Nice! I had a Precision converter back in the day. Great piece. Definitely helps big time on the launch.

Pavo

Nice! I had a Precision converter back in the day. Great piece. Definitely helps big time on the launch.

Pavo

The opinion of some of the old school DSM builders here in DFW is that Precision did the best job at a converter that works for the 1G. better than Sinister, Stock restalls, etc. It's just too bad they are so hard to find now.

Anywho, enough with POS Mitsu Sh*tboxes. What's you plan then for the 5.0?

LOL... "POS Mitsu Sh*t boxes"... Let others continue to believe that... makes the victories all the sweeter for those with modded DSM's.

I think PPC has me talked into some basic suspension things for now and maybe a CAI/tune. I think suspension will be the immediate focus and possible a short throw and shifter bushing.

The one thing that bugs me about the Mustang is the vague 6-speed shifting. It's honestly hard to tell all the time when I'm in 3rd versus 1st versus fifth. Very sloppy shifting...

Pavo

LOL... "POS Mitsu Sh*t boxes"... Let others continue to believe that... makes the victories all the sweeter for those with modded DSM's.

I think PPC has me talked into some basic suspension things for now and maybe a CAI/tune. I think suspension will be the immediate focus and possible a short throw and shifter bushing.

The one thing that bugs me about the Mustang is the vague 6-speed shifting. It's honestly hard to tell all the time when I'm in 3rd versus 1st versus fifth. Very sloppy shifting...

Pavo

I personally know a few guys down here with exhaust and tune put down 400whp which aint too shabby.

I personally know a few guys down here with exhaust and tune put down 400whp which aint too shabby.

I'm thinking CAI and possibly TB along with tune. Power wise I'm shooting for the 415-420 mark with handling. The EVO I had was pushing that (440 on certain dyno's) and it was more than enough power for a DD. Add in some great handling and I'll be happy (at least for a while).

Pavo

I'd turbo it :) I've driven Twin Turbo and Supercharged 5.0's and both of them left me grinning ear to ear. If you want a more mild path go with the boss intake / Headers/exhaust and tune. You will be very happy with the results.

I'd turbo it :) I've driven Twin Turbo and Supercharged 5.0's and both of them left me grinning ear to ear. If you want a more mild path go with the boss intake / Headers/exhaust and tune. You will be very happy with the results.

I'd LOVE to turbo it but think it may be a bit out of my price range. What does something like that go for? I know the supercharger kits are $5-$7K. That's way more than I want to spend at the moment.

I keep flip flopping on the Boss intake versus the Cobra Jet intake... anyone have any opinions?

Pavo

Either one voids your warranty.. or at least presents a few hoops to jump through if any warranty work needs done. To take advantage of a mani upgrade you need a tune that raises the rev limiter, since they can make use of the extra air at those rpms. Since the stock GT motor isn't built for those higher revs, good luck explaining a busted engine to a Ford. To me, the extra ~20hp isn't worth all that.

I plan on going big or not at all, so I'm saving up and making that decision later.

Buddy of mine down here just bought a '14 GT. Went in to Ford for 6000mi oil change. Got it home and heard knocking noise. Took it back to Ford. 2wks later, they tell him its a broken wrist pin. Good times.

Sales adviser told him he may be getting a '15 long block replacement, so fingers crossed that's what happens.