College Football Thread v10.0

bicranium

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think we like as fans and what the scouts like is Cardale's potential. He has the prototypical size to do well and can throw he ball a mile. That kind of potential alone will get at least one (perhaps foolish) team to fall in love. Cardale physically reminds me of Jamarcus Russell. Hopefully his NFL career doesn't play out like Russell's.

Nfl scouts probably know more about football than you or I. 6'5 with ability to run if needed and throw 70yard bombs. I think a lot of NFL choices are based on potential. It's a strange league when you think about it. It's rarely the big college stars that blow up in the NFL, its the guy you've never really heard of.

I have missed it as well, luckily I have a lot of the OSU games DVR'd still, so I have been able to watch them over the off season.

I could have thrown for 200 yards in the Wisconsin game. I would just launch the ball into the air and let my man crush Devin Smith come down with 17 out of 20 of them.

How far can you throw? The plan would not work as well throwing 20 yard "bombs" :). I am always amazed at how far these guys can throw the ball - even the ones that don't have a "strong arm".

I guess I should have done the math - 17 completions for 200 yards so about 12 yards - at that point Devin Smith would be fighting middle linebackers versus safeties.

Who would have been even less able to cover him than cornerbacks. Brilliant game-planning on my part, I think.

For the record, I can throw a football over those mountains.

Christ. How we beat that 2002 team I'll never know.

Well, actually, I do. Ohio State's defense was fantastic that year and played a pretty good game. Miami probably wasn't ready for how good Ohio State was defensively. And, though I don't like to admit it, Miami didn't really play inspired. They came in kind of flat. Quite frankly, they probably felt like they had the championship in the bag before the game ever started. Kind of like how Ohio State did in 2006. When you're that good, and everyone is telling you how good you are and the other team doesn't stand a chance, it's easy to let your guard down. So, it was perfect storm for Ohio State, who was used to playing really close games in which they sucked offensively and relied on their defense to save them.

The players on the 2001 Miami hurricanes had 17 first round draft picks through the years. That is pretty insane.

Who would have been even less able to cover him than cornerbacks. Brilliant game-planning on my part, I think.

For the record, I can throw a football over those mountains.

That's why I am going to miss Tom Herman. I always thought some of his play calling on offense throughout the season was questionable... but now I understand that is more due to the inexperience of the players. Vs Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon... his play calling was pretty much perfect.

That's why I am going to miss Tom Herman. I always thought some of his play calling on offense throughout the season was questionable... but now I understand that is more due to the inexperience of the players. Vs Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon... his play calling was pretty much perfect.

That's why I think Houston will be a fun team to watch while he's there. At least on offense, no clue about their defense though.

There is no NFL thread so I thought I'd post this here. Those of you who know me are aware I care little about sports, but as a Cleveland native I was dying at some of these readers' comments. May you enjoy some of the humor as well.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2015-cleveland-browns-1723346122#_ga=1.245625665.411958871.1438610144

There is no NFL thread so I thought I'd post this here. Those of you who know me are aware I care little about sports, but as a Cleveland native I was dying at some of these readers' comments. May you enjoy some of the humor as well.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2015-cleveland-browns-1723346122#_ga=1.245625665.411958871.1438610144

Piggybacking on that, apparently a rookie LB punched Geno Smith in the jaw, breaking it. Smith will be out 6-10 weeks. One of the top 3 "Jets-iest" things I've ever heard about.

In related news, the Browns GM was last seen searching fervently for the phone number of the Jets GM, while mumbling something about "the perfect scenario for Johnny Football..."

I have been telling everyone down here that they need to go ahead and get some Cougars tickets now, cause that team might not suck this year. Herman is already out-recruiting both Bevo and Aggie....

I'm fucking losing it reading that - haven't even made it to readers' comments yet.

:lol:

I think there is going to be a lot of nutswinging with Cody Kessler this year. Oregon is going to have a down year and USC is going to rise and make a lot of noise.

This might be the most intelligent post you have ever made. And I agree 100%.

Could be 100% wrong but I just don't see Sarkisian doing anything elite at USC.

I'm also very interested to see if Vernon Adams can win the starting job at Oregon. He's getting a late start (just passed the math class he needed to graduate from Eastern Washington yesterday to complete his transfer) but he was a monster at Eastern Washington. And not just against FCS opponents. He beat a few FBS teams in his time there while putting up insane numbers. If he can get Oregon's offense figured out he could be scary. I don't think Mariota was that special. He did everything he did because of the system. I was never impressed with him. I think Adams could be very special. He did incredible things against FBS opponents while being surrounded by lesser talent.

Couple things from today's practice for OSU...

Braxton was working on the option with Cardale with Braxton obviously on the receiving end of the pitches. So that's slightly terrifying for other defenses.

True freshman QB Torrance Gibson worked with the WR's (lots of playing time available there with OSU's 2nd, 3rd and 4th leading returning receivers suspended for the opener) and had this catch...

http://i.imgur.com/TTxgiVC.jpg

Lots of people thought he'd be a WR all the way but he's been working with QB's all week to this point and you can see he's still in the no contact jersey there. Could just be a temporary thing like how Devin Gardner played WR a bit at Michigan with the QB depth chart being as crowded and talented as it is at OSU right now.

Braxton was working on the option with Cardale with Braxton obviously on the receiving end of the pitches. So that's slightly terrifying for other defenses.

It should be, or if you have Easy-E, Braxton and (insert QB here) all on the field at the same time.

Just having 2 or even 3 guys on the field at the same time that can run and throw will stretch any defense thin.

A simple play action pass, or pump fake is enough to freeze the backers and secondary, then a quick juke step, and (insert player name here) is having a little bronze trophy moment while the non-osu coach is having an upset stomach moment.

I'm not as big a fan as I used to be, but this team could rip some spines out this year if they play how they should, and not play down like they have in the past.

Could be 100% wrong but I just don't see Sarkisian doing anything elite at USC.

I don't think he will either but people still love to hype USC. Like jive said, Oregon is going to have a down year (2-3 losses) and USC might "matter" into October. I can easily see them losing 4 games (and hope they do)

Schedule

True freshman QB Torrance Gibson worked with the WR's (lots of playing time available there with OSU's 2nd, 3rd and 4th leading returning receivers suspended for the opener) and had this catch...

http://i.imgur.com/TTxgiVC.jpg

Lots of people thought he'd be a WR all the way but he's been working with QB's all week to this point and you can see he's still in the no contact jersey there. Could just be a temporary thing like how Devin Gardner played WR a bit at Michigan with the QB depth chart being as crowded and talented as it is at OSU right now.

Just saw your (this) post on Reddit and got major deja vu...looked at the screen name and it all made sense. I'm getting really really pumped today for some reason. All I wanna do I pound beers and watch football. Is anyone going to VT for the game? I'm (relatively)close and wish I had a reason to bail out of DC and go.