College Football Thread v10.0

bicranium

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring practice started today... recap of today's practice from somewhere...

For the first time since winning the national championship, Ohio State took the practice field on Tuesday at the indoor facility at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. It's been exactly 57 days since the Buckeyes beat Oregon for the national title. Here are observations from today's practice:

* Braxton Miller was lightly throwing a real football on the side (about 10 yards of distance between throws).

* JT Barrett participates in all throwing drills, but goes through footwork drills very gingerly coming off the broken ankle.

* Cardale Jones looked sharp. They obviously weren't going live, but he was firing strikes out there today.

* Jashon Cornell is wearing the No. 9.

* Nick Conner is wearing No. 34.

* I'm not sure about Grant Schmidt's number. I'll find that out soon.

* OSU's SID is unsure what number Jamel Dean will be wearing. Also, it didn't appear as though Dean was on the field today. The SID said: "I know he's been rehabbing, I don't know if he will be cleared for spring drills."

* The team motto has been changed from "The Chase" to "The Grind." There is a big banner that says "THE GRIND" exactly where the "THE CHASE" banner used to be.

* Tommy Schutt appears to be getting first crack at the starting DT job. This is just based on the order players were going through drills. Schutt was always teamed up with Adolphus Washington. Then Donovan Munger and Michael Hill were always paired together.

* Armani Reeves is helping out as a student assistant coach as he finishes his degree.

* Among the players working on the side -- either all the time or at various times -- were: Dylan Thompson, Ezekiel Elliott, Braxton Miller, Dontre Wilson, Kyle Berger, Jamarco Jones (was at times working with the O-line during drills, so whatever ailment he has does not appear to be serious), Cam Johnston and a few walk-ons.

* Noah Brown is strictly repping at wide receiver (not hybrid, not TE).

* Marcus Baugh is the No. 2 TE.

* Parris Campbell is the No. 2 hybrid with Wilson out (no word if Wilson will be fully cleared later this spring -- he played in one play in the NC game as a decoy on a fake jet sweep).

* Jalin Marshall and Curtis Samuel were working as punt returners (a walk-on was doing the punting with Johnston out).

* Evan Lisle is back (missed last season with a knee injury). Didn't work on the side at all -- stayed with the OL the entire time.

* Johnnie Dixon (injuries in both knees -- tendinitis and arthritis) is back working full-time with the WRs (not working on the side at all).

* The Buckeyes will next practice on Thursday ... and will then take a week off for spring ball. The next practice after that will be Tuesday, March 24.

• 2 weeks later...

So Braxton likely committed an NCAA violation with this instagram post...

http://i.imgur.com/WimG5l3.jpg

NCAA recommendations straight from Advocare's site...

https://www.advocare.com/microsite/pdf/NCAArecommendations.pdf

Doubt it will be any more than a slap on the wrist but it's incredibly stupid on his part regardless.

He might of just made it is easier for UM to decide who the starter should be.

Urban finally admitted yesterday that it was starting to eat at him that 2 of the 3 were going to be on the bench this season. I don't think this is going to force Braxton out of the program or anything (but I guess you never know with the NCAA) but it's definitely not something you want to have when you're trying to be in the thick of a competition with a national champion and a Heisman finalist.

• 2 weeks later...

OSU is supposedly down to 85 now. 4* DB Jamel Dean out of Cocoa, FL wasn't medically cleared to participate, LS Liam McCullough is grayshirting and there is an academic casualty from the 2015 class.

No idea on who the academic casualty is (first guesses would be Eric Glover-Williams and Rashod Berry - both had grade issues mentioned during their recruitment) and the Dean thing has caused some hubbub from his head coach. Saying Dean's being forced out, that he can still play, that this was all a shock/surprise to him, etc., etc. I have a hard time believing a lot of what he's saying because of his comment about being shocked/surprised. I knew about Dean probably not making it because of his knee months ago so he's either completely out of the loop or lying because he's mad.

Dean's former HS teammate and 5* composite ATH in the class of 2017, Bruce Judson, said he's still committed to OSU as of last night. His coach said a lot of stuff about how this is going to affect his thoughts on OSU, Meyer and his staff moving forward but Judson, at least for now, doesn't seem to care too much.

OSU is supposedly down to 85 now. 4* DB Jamel Dean out of Cocoa, FL wasn't medically cleared to participate, LS Liam McCullough is grayshirting and there is an academic casualty from the 2015 class.

No idea on who the academic casualty is (first guesses would be Eric Glover-Williams and Rashod Berry - both had grade issues mentioned during their recruitment) and the Dean thing has caused some hubbub from his head coach. Saying Dean's being forced out, that he can still play, that this was all a shock/surprise to him, etc., etc. I have a hard time believing a lot of what he's saying because of his comment about being shocked/surprised. I knew about Dean probably not making it because of his knee months ago so he's either completely out of the loop or lying because he's mad.

Dean's former HS teammate and 5* composite ATH in the class of 2017, Bruce Judson, said he's still committed to OSU as of last night. His coach said a lot of stuff about how this is going to affect his thoughts on OSU, Meyer and his staff moving forward but Judson, at least for now, doesn't seem to care too much.

https://twitter.com/jamel_dean15/status/556154331410731008

Urban talked to the media after practice today and said OSU was "forthright" in everything it did with Dean. He was examined pretty much the second he got on campus and DQ'd in January. So before signing day.

Urban also got a contract extension through 2020 and a raise today. Highest paid coach in the B1G and will make an average of $6.5m/yr over the length of the contract.

Urban also got a contract extension through 2020 and a raise today. Highest paid coach in the B1G and will make an average of $6.5m/yr over the length of the contract.

Someone better get Kirk Ferentz a raise, how can this stand?

OSU got their 2016 QB and it's Tristan Wallace out of DeSoto Texas. Kid is a 4* on all the sites

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football-recruiting/2015/03/51843/four-star-quarterback-tristen-wallace-commits-to-ohio-state

Has a pretty wonky throwing motion but he's big (Tebow-sized) and quick (reported 4.4 so probably 4.5-4.6 but good for a 6'3", 230lb. QB) so that should work. New QB coach Tim Beck was never able to really fix Taylor Martinez's throwing motion/mechanics/fundamentals at Nebraska so we'll see if OSU's QB coaching can be credited more to Urban as a lot of people suspect.

I think Ferentz still has a higher cost per win ratio

Versus Urban, obviously, but this statement made me interested to see who else is paying like that...

http://sportswire.usatoday.com/2014/12/18/cfb-cost-per-win-coaching-winchart/

Obviously there were some coaching changes but from the B1G (and this is total coaching staff)...

Purdue - $1.395m per win

Michigan - $1.259m per win

Iowa - $978k per win

Indiana - $888k per win

Michigan State - $880k per win

Illinois - $689k per win

Ohio State - $673k per win

Maryland - $654k per win

Nebraska - $643k per win

Minnesota - $607k per win

Rutgers - $474k per win

Wisconsin - $456k per win

Northwestern is private so they don't know and Penn St. does there own cult BS which allowed for things like Sandusky to go on for so long so they're not listed either.

Some interesting schools paying A LOT per win...

Texas - $1.473m per win

South Carolina - $1.214m per win

Texas A&M - $1.211m per win

LSU - $1.210m per win

Oklahoma - $1.133m per win

Kentucky - $1.081m per win

Arkansas - $1.067m per win

Tennessee - $1.037m per win

Auburn - $1.027m per win

Alabama - $1.012m per win

Basically all of the SEC (even Alabama) and the 2 Big 12 blue bloods are paying over $1m per win.

And these numbers were prior to the bowl games/playoffs so Bama would dip below the $1m per win mark and OSU would end up below $600k per win.

4* IL LB Tuf Borland committed to OSU last night. Father played at Wisconsin and most felt he was a Wiscy lock. Probably have another 1-3 commits over the next few days with the spring game happening. 1-2 guys for each of the 2016 and 2017 classes could pull the trigger.

OSU is currently sitting at #4 in the team rankings for the 2016 class but the 3 teams ahead of them have anywhere from 2 to 10 additional commitments. OSU has the highest average rating per player in the country.